Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Summer 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

The moose decline is certainly related to the increase in ticks.  Bears are a success story of protecting habitat combined with less hunting.

Yeah I don’t have any numbers but anecdotally I’d be hard pressed to believe anything other than the best population is thriving and growing.  I rarely if ever saw a bear my first like 5-7 years in Stowe, on the mountain, wherever.  Now you see more of them than deer to be honest.  They are everywhere.  On the mountain, in town, etc.  

And anyone you talk to around New England seems to say they’ve seen more bears show up. 

4 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

...This happens as white privilege continues to gentrify their native habitat

Maybe - see my above post.  Probably 95% of the homes in the lake community where I grew up were in place by 1965, and were occupied by pretty much the same socio-economic strata that live there today, though probably somewhat more diverse now.

Adrenaline spiked evening.  Wife and I chilling on the couch, Red Sox game on, and out of no where the dog goes into full on alarm mode.  Look over and there's a solid, sizeable black bear 15 feet away at the back porch, looking into our living room.  Only thing between it and us is a sliding screen door.  Props to the wife for the quick movement, lightning fast ditch the iPad and move towards the bear to slam the glass slider shut.  Bear goes around the corner towards the kitchen slider (also open), we run to close the other sliders, dog is going bonkers... bear then takes off towards the river.  We head out cautiously, me with long lens trying to get a photo, but alas we can only hear it thrashing around in the brush and I didn't want to push my luck.

Definitely getting a Nest cam now, looking at them right now.  Would've loved to have that on camera.  The bear down on all fours was about waist high on me and I'm 6'3".  Looked like an absolute unit.  Wife made lasagna tonight, smells great out of the oven, 3 open slider doors letting aroma outside, he was curious.

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Adrenaline spiked evening.  Wife and I chilling on the couch, Red Sox game on, and out of no where the dog goes into full on alarm mode.  Look over and there's a solid, sizeable black bear 15 feet away at the back porch, looking into our living room.  Only thing between it and us is a sliding screen door.  Props to the wife for the quick movement, lightning fast ditch the iPad and move towards the bear to slam the glass slider shut.  Bear goes around the corner towards the kitchen slider (also open), we run to close the other sliders, dog is going bonkers... bear then takes off towards the river.  We head out cautiously, me with long lens trying to get a photo, but alas we can only hear it thrashing around in the brush and I didn't want to push my luck.

Definitely getting a Nest cam now, looking at them right now.  Would've loved to have that on camera.  The bear down on all fours was about waist high on me and I'm 6'3".  Looked like an absolute unit.  Wife made lasagna tonight, smells great out of the oven, 3 open slider doors letting aroma outside, he was curious.

Whoa. I immediately thought of the John Candy movie…The Great Outdoors. 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, tunafish said:

Is there somewhere on this forum that has info about the various home weather stations that I can read up on?  I have a stratus, mostly interested in temp and wind data.  If not, what would you recommend?

Asked differently...

what weather station do you have?

how d'ya like it?

was it easy to install?

I have an Ambient WS-7078. It’s not top of the line but I don’t need that. It was easy to set up, has a good console and the app is decent. I have it tied to Wunderground too. I mounted it with shelving brackets on the corner of my deck using a piece of white shelving instead of a pole. I use the shelving as a snowboard. You can see it in the picture below. 

7D27268A-2BFD-411F-892C-BC5E74D96E71.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Then the adrenaline continued as Tanner Houck flirted with disaster in the bottom of the 9th.  How many long-tern Sox fans thought that Ramirez, leading the AL in RBI, would hit a walk-off slam?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Then the adrenaline continued as Tanner Houck flirted with disaster in the bottom of the 9th.  How many long-tern Sox fans thought that Ramirez, leading the AL in RBI, would hit a walk-off slam?

Oh man, exactly.  Didn’t appreciate O’Brien mentioning he was the AL RBI leader so many times :lol:.  Houck seems to like that… making the 9th interesting. 

2 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Went to the Woodstock Winery/Brewery, Taylor Brooke, great beers and good wine, they had a food truck and live entertainment. Came home with a pack of Sash Away, a berry wine, very tasty.

I've made the same trip. Makes for a nice day.

2 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Went to the Woodstock Winery/Brewery, Taylor Brooke, great beers and good wine, they had a food truck and live entertainment. Came home with a pack of Sash Away, a berry wine, very tasty.

Does the old guy who owns it still do the tasting at Taylor Brook?

On 6/24/2022 at 9:03 PM, tunafish said:

Is there somewhere on this forum that has info about the various home weather stations that I can read up on?  I have a stratus, mostly interested in temp and wind data.  If not, what would you recommend?

There’s lots of posts and thread on it. 

It basically comes down to budget, what you want to measure, and how serious you want to get into it. 

Generally speaking, a Davis with fan aspiration will give you your most accurate readings in the home market, but you’re going to pay for it (to some extent) too. The all-in-1’s are nice, but not all sensors were meant to be placed in the same location…ie wind at 10m, temp at 2m, rain at 1-2m, etc.

I don’t even know what everything is going for right now given the state of the economy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, dendrite said:

There’s lots of posts and thread on it. 

It basically comes down to budget, what you want to measure, and how serious you want to get into it. 

Generally speaking, a Davis with fan aspiration will give you your most accurate readings in the home market, but you’re going to pay for it (to some extent) too. The all-in-1’s are nice, but not all sensors were meant to be placed in the same location…ie wind at 10m, temp at 2m, rain at 1-2m, etc.

I don’t even know what everything is going for right now given the state of the economy. 

Thanks.  The one Eaves posted was around $175 which is about what I'm looking to spend.   My primary use case is temps, as well as rain when I'm out of town.  Wind is a bonus for the few events we get a year.  NWS hooked me up with the snow gear for PWM obs, covered there.  

13 hours ago, mreaves said:

I have an Ambient WS-7078. It’s not top of the line but I don’t need that. It was easy to set up, has a good console and the app is decent. I have it tied to Wunderground too. I mounted it with shelving brackets on the corner of my deck using a piece of white shelving instead of a pole. I use the shelving as a snowboard. You can see it in the picture below. 

7D27268A-2BFD-411F-892C-BC5E74D96E71.jpeg

Thanks for the rec!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Oh man, exactly.  Didn’t appreciate O’Brien mentioning he was the AL RBI leader so many times :lol:.  Houck seems to like that… making the 9th interesting. 

Then yesterday he need only 7 pitches to lose out the win.  Relief pitchers are an odd breed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tunafish said:

Thanks.  The one Eaves posted was around $175 which is about what I'm looking to spend.   My primary use case is temps, as well as rain when I'm out of town.  Wind is a bonus for the few events we get a year.  NWS hooked me up with the snow gear for PWM obs, covered there.  

Thanks for the rec!

Looks like SI has the wireless Davis VP2 with FARS at $663 right now. That’s the basic professional station…temp/hum, rain, wind, and pressure. You can add other things if you wanted later (uv/solar, soil measurement, extra temp sensors, etc). Most people don’t care for the uv/solar, but if you did it’s cheaper up front to buy the VP2+ station than to add them on individually later. 

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/shop-by-category/complete-weather-stations-shop-by-product/davis-6153-wireless-vantage-pro2-with-24-hour-fan-aspirated-radiation-shield/

Davis has their all-in-1 Vue as well. You’ll just have to weigh your pros and cons.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Looks like SI has the wireless Davis VP2 with FARS at $663 right now. That’s the basic professional station…temp/hum, rain, wind, and pressure. You can add other things if you wanted later (uv/solar, soil measurement, extra temp sensors, etc). Most people don’t care for the uv/solar, but if you did it’s cheaper up front to buy the VP2+ station than to add them on individually later. 

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/shop-by-category/complete-weather-stations-shop-by-product/davis-6153-wireless-vantage-pro2-with-24-hour-fan-aspirated-radiation-shield/

Davis has their all-in-1 Vue as well. You’ll just have to weigh your pros and cons.

Good price.  Similar on Scientific Sales, where I got mine. $641

https://www.scientificsales.com/Davis-Vantage-Pro2-weather-station-s/57.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mixed motivation ...

Like, I have 3 or 4 home stations tied into Wunder's network, all within 1.5 miles of mi casa ... I've come to find that their average is within a degree or metric of the average between KFIT, KASH, KBED.   

It seems the need isn't really there.  It's a perception of need ( in my opinion ..) and I don't like that. It's a principle dislike I carry on with about western possession-based economics ...which gets into a whole nother popsicle headache philosophical purity thing that I'm sure everyone on here is just dying to hear about...lol

I just I don't get the purpose, when any variance between those access points/methods is pretty much going be 0 after having installed a device imby.  

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Mixed motivation ...

Like, I have 3 or 4 home stations tied into Wunder's network, all within 1.5 miles of mi casa ... I've come to find that their average is within a degree or metric of the average between KFIT, KASH, KBED.   

It seems the need isn't really there.  It's a perception of need ( in my opinion ..) and I don't like that. It's a principle dislike I carry on with about western possession-based economics ...which gets into a whole nother popsicle headache philosophical purity thing that I'm sure everyone on here is just dying to hear about...lol

I just I don't get the purpose, when any variance between those access points/methods is pretty much going be 0 after having installed a device imby.  

I find it interesting that some people want things that you don’t have. seriously though, if the guy wants one and can afford it, what’s the problem?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mreaves said:

So, this will be controversial but Fenway pretty much sucks, unless you have the best seats.  I was sitting down the first baseline about 20 rows up just past the dugout once and I realized that the way the seat was facing made me constantly keep my head turned to the left to see any pitching and most base running.  Add to the fact that those old seats are back and ass breakers, it's just not a great fan experience a lot of the time.  Heaven help you if you are tucked underneath the other seats during hot, humid weather, it's like a smelly sauna.  I appreciate the history and significance of Fenway but there are better paces to watch a game.

No controversy here. Fenway blows unless you are in a box or playing in the game. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

No controversy here. Fenway blows unless you are in a box or playing in the game. 

My sisters company had seats in the State Street Pavillion and behind the dugout, those are the best seats Ive ever had to watch the game. Almost every other seat sucked so no argument from me. Even the Monster seats have a big blind spot and they're very expensive.

31 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Last summer we hit Iceland. This summer we will be getting Rocky Mountain High in Colorado.  Lots of driving incoming

I saw Yellowstone went to ALPS (alternating license plate system) for park entry this season, mostly due to flood recovery I think. So you can only get in the park on even days if your plate's last digit is even, and vice versa. Glad that wasn't in effect when we visited.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Last summer we hit Iceland. This summer we will be getting Rocky Mountain High in Colorado.  Lots of driving incoming

Last summer we did the Black Hills and Yellowstone. I was thinking of doing Glacier this year but I am now considering flying to Calgary and doing Banff and Jasper. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I saw Yellowstone went to ALPS (alternating license plate system) for park entry this season, mostly due to flood recovery I think. So you can only get in the park on even days if your plate's last digit is even, and vice versa. Glad that wasn't in effect when we visited.

For Rocky Mountain National Park they have required timed entry tickets last year and this year to limit crowds. They sell out pretty quickly.  Only $2 per vehicle but you need to get them in advance. 

9 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

How long you going for Dave? We went the first week of May for 8 days, stayed in the Southern part of Denver, there's so much to see there we couldn't possibly cover it all in 8 days.

• Like 1