Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
3/12 Event: Winters Last Hurrah at Least East of Mountains

Weather Will

Just now, Weather Will said:

WB 12Z GFS:  At 10 an, when GFS shows sleet, all levels seem below freezing?  Warm layer there somewhere EURO is not seeing….

B8BE7ACD-73F1-48BF-A1C6-DEBF6B4835AD.png

B5C17DE8-BB62-4392-8C44-7A150F1426FB.png

B3C809EF-BB95-4599-B723-598D42B124A1.png

How do those precip totals compare to prior runs?

Its gonna be cold. It’s about the precip totals IMO. I’m sure that shocks nobody

• Like 1

Just now, Weather Will said:

WB 12Z GFS:  At 10 an, when GFS shows sleet, all levels seem below freezing?  Warm layer there somewhere EURO is not seeing….

B3C809EF-BB95-4599-B723-598D42B124A1.png

I'm wondering if it's doing that thing @high risk(I believe) mentioned where conditions *might* briefly support sleet for like 5 minutes as it transitions to snow but then the model output renders it sleeting for the whole 3hr period or so.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I'm wondering if it's doing that thing @high risk(I believe) mentioned where conditions *might* briefly support sleet for like 5 minutes as it transitions to snow but then the model output renders it sleeting for the whole 3hr period or so.

Great question!     The issue you mentioned might be leading to slightly higher sleet amounts than justified by the model output, but I checked the forecast soundings, and the GFS does show profiles that favor sleet for a few hours Saturday morning.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

It’s obvious that HPC is disregarding the GFS. It’s maps line up straight with the euro.

euro has been on a roll lately. For the Wednesday event....in all its runs...it never had the 850 line south of us...while the NAM,GFS,etc gave us heavy snow

16 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I’m not sure the UKIE can even be used. Look at the change to the west of us. That’s massive for a 12 time difference. I’ll bet the euro won’t look like this at all.

I agree. Seemed like in years past it would give an idea on what the Euro was going to do but not so much anymore.

2 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

Again, for up my way, maybe in-between? There's a chance for something a little interesting up here, and since I am on 11 inches for the entire season, I am curious about it. Not everyone did well this winter. 

Hey I know that joke!

• Haha 2