Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2022 Obs/Disc: In Like a Lamb, Out Like a Butterfly

40/70 Benchmark

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We’ll be praying for suppression depression soon.  Much rather a fringe job than 1-2” of rainfall.

It was rough at BW today. Worst I have ever seen it. Almost unskiable in spots on their key groomers which I have never seen before. They also look kinda thin to me. I would have needed an ice drilling rig and not J. Spin's measuring pole to check depths, but still. LOL

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Over that for you but NW of you is best PF Phin to Mountains blue bomb to fluff bomb

It's a thread the needle type situation when a low is moving up along a frontal boundary that's also moving.  Gotta be in the right place at the right time.  That EPS run was about the best thread the needle situation.  A lot of members with major upstate NY snows that just clips NW New England.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-neng-snow_72hr-7280800.thumb.png.d0f9ff2719ef995caa0986bb25842d10.png

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It was rough at BW today. Worst I have ever seen it. Almost unskiable in spots on their key groomers which I have never seen before. They also look kinda thin to me. I would have needed an ice drilling rig and not J. Spin's measuring pole to check depths, but still. LOL

Oh it's bad.  I didn't ski today but there's only so much rain and melt you can have and then freeze it up.  At some point grooming machines can't even really do anything about it.  There's just so much frozen water... you get like the blue ice bulges in the middle of trails that grooming tillers just bounce off of.  It's like trying to cut up pavement.  Anything with pitch is terrifying as a fall can send someone for a slide for life even on like an intermediate trail... where you don't stop until you hit something.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Oh it's bad.  I didn't ski today but there's only so much rain and melt you can have and then freeze it up.  At some point grooming machines can't even really do anything about it.  There's just so much frozen water... you get like the blue ice bulges in the middle of trails that grooming tillers just bounce off of.  It's like trying to cut up pavement.

Yeah, it was clear the groomers basically just busted off ice chunks and scattered them around. That's all they accomplished given the conditions. There were some connector spots between trails that were downright dangerous. Clear sheet ice. Patrol had it well-marked but not sure how they fix that without blowing more snow. That stuff is not softening up to corn snow next time it gets warm. Areas off the manmade trails are totally shot and mostly melted out.

Like I said in the NNE thread, I can't imagine Cannon and Wildcat today. The kind of day that requires a helicopter airlift to the hospital.