Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2022

cleetussnow

22 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

speaks for itself

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_5day-6308800.thumb.png.99a3c1ee8107cccaa8980cc4d94c9e02.png

Hopefully we cash in. March should theoretically be a lot more active/stormy than January. 

You have airmasses clashing, rapidly changing wave lengths, some of the most powerful coastals were in March. 

However the lack of any NAO/AO isn't promising. Not sure how important they are later in the season but imagine they're still good to have. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Even with all the great late season snowstorms in recent years, my all-time favorite still remains the April 1982 blizzard. An unusually high amount of lightning and true blizzard conditions in April. It was also the last time NYC had 3 consecutive record low temperatures in a row. My 2nd place late season event was that heavy wet snowstorm on 3-21-18. The trees were absolutely gorgeous when the sun came out the next morning. 

Screenshot_20220216-155315_Gallery.jpg

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Hopefully we cash in. March should theoretically be a lot more active/stormy than January. 

You have airmasses clashing, rapidly changing wave lengths, some of the most powerful coastals were in March. 

However the lack of any NAO/AO isn't promising. Not sure how important they are later in the season but imagine they're still good to have. 

That map has at least a neutral AO flavor to it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Even with all the great late season snowstorms in recent years, my all-time favorite still remains the April 1982 blizzard. An unusually high amount of lightning and true blizzard conditions in April. It was also the last time NYC had 3 consecutive record low temperatures in a row. My 2nd place late season event was that heavy wet snowstorm on 3-21-18. The trees were absolutely gorgeous when the sun came out the next morning. 

I was in the Poconos for the April 1982 blizzard...I measured 13.5" in front of my house...drove home as the storm was ending (only car on the road)...my house in Brooklyn had 9" on the ground...the next day cold was just as anomalous with a max below freezing with clear skies...after the record cold another much lighter snowfall came...2" in the Poconos and 1" at Newark...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

55 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Screenshot_20220216-155315_Gallery.jpg

I’ll add to the nostalgia of that one.  I was living in SW Suffolk at the time and woke up to this.  Incredible surprise!

FF1E8B1B-01CA-48A8-B8CD-738DB5954BE9.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HVSnowLover said:

Most of the storms that March were pretty frustrating but this one was the most frustrating, snowed all day and didn't stick at all. 

I'm going to say that if that storm would have happened in February it would have been all snow.

There's a reason NYC doesn't get 10" plus snowstorms in March....urbanization enhancing the effects of sun angle.  It's why I think we can get one or even two 6" snowstorms after February (in March and April), but the chances of a 10" snowfall in NYC drop down dramatically.

4 hours ago, bluewave said:

Those storms also had marginal temperatures for Long Island with the heaviest snows over the interior. The Hamptons jackpotted on the 13th with the storm further east. The best banding on the 21st was over Eastern Nassau to ISP. NYC not reaching 10” on that storm may have been another famous late under-measurement if the Gramercy Park total is to be believed.

3-13 storm

Suffolk County...
   Southampton           18.3   332 PM  3/13  Trained Spotter
3-21 storm

Newark Airport         8.3   800 AM  3/22  FAA CONTRACT OBSERVER 

New York County...
   Grammercy Park        10.0  1115 PM  3/21  Law Enforcement         
   Central Park           8.4   800 AM  3/22  Park Conservancy      

Queens County...
   Queens Village        14.5   738 AM  3/22  Trained Spotter    

Suffolk County...
   Patchogue             20.1   852 AM  3/22  NWS Employee            
   Terryville            19.7   724 AM  3/22  Trained Spotter         
   East Patchogue        19.0   900 AM  3/22  Public                  
   Port Jefferson Stati  18.9   640 AM  3/22  Trained Spotter         
   North Babylon         18.7   655 AM  3/22  Public                  
   Islip Airport         18.4   756 AM  3/22  FAA Observer      

I just don't believe 10"+ snowstorms in March in NYC and urban western Long Island are possible anymore because of the extensive urbanization enhancing the effect of sun angle.  6"+ yes, 10"+ no.  I mean I wont discount a fluke once in a 50 year event, but it's not something anyone should reasonably expect.  Eastern Long Island and NW areas are a different story.  The storms mentioned above should've happened in February or earlier.....March is just too late.

5 hours ago, bluewave said:

I think for NYC recently it has been more about storm tracks in March. NYC missed going over 10” with Stella in March 2017 since the storm tucked too much with the +AO and March wavelengths. So there was a changeover around NYC and the big totals of 20-30” went NW.  March 2018 featured the persistent near or just east of the benchmark tracks with the -AO and +PNA favoring Suffolk county for 30”. 

Chris I really think if double digit snowstorms were still reasonably possible in the city or western long island after February, they would've happened already but they haven't in decades despite the favorite new snowy climate we have.  As for 20" plus...meh, the chances of getting hit by an extinction level asteroid are probably higher than NYC or urban western Long Island ever getting a 20" snowstorm after February.  It's why we actually want snowy Decembers more than snowy Marches....snowy Decembers usually lead to more snowy winters.  Dont get me wrong, I love to get a 6" storm in March or April, but we need to keep our expectations in check and not expect anything more than that.  March 1993 was the last time NYC had a 10" snow event after February correct (and that changed to rain.)  The last time we had an all snow snowstorm after the end of February was 10" in April 1982 (and it was actually 9.6" lol.....I'm not even sure when the last 10.0" plus storm after February was.)

5 hours ago, HVSnowLover said:

Urban heating really destroys the city accumulating in any kind of marginal events (which most March storms tend to be) . LI would actually have less issues generally in March than December because ocean is colder.  

Correct and we're talking about rural parts of Long Island doing a lot better after February.  Western Long Island hasn't had any 10" event after February either, just like NYC.

5 hours ago, wthrmn654 said:

A torch is defined as being 10 or more above normal temperatures.  With that said,  in the OKX region,  no records are expected to be broken as there in the mid- upper 60s.

Uhm is he disputing the NWS?  They specifically mentioned that there won't be record highs because records are in the middle and upper 60s and we're only going to be around 60.

5 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

It depends what everyone's expectations of warm is. To expect constant 60's in March is so far from the norms it would be unhealthy. Even in NYC the average highs don't reach the mid 60's until late in April.

I dont think "average" really explains the variety of our weather.  We're in the 60s at least a few times almost every winter as far back as I can remember.  Average is just a smoothing out of the extremes.

9 hours ago, EastonSN+ said:

03212018snowmap.thumb.png.8a3217e22be07ca1cb006ec0865a6bc2.pngHere is an example of pure luck. The 10 plus amounts are SOUTH and east. This could have easily added to the 10 plus March list.

If it's heat island driven, then the stats for March 10 plus are misleading for anyone outside of Manhattan.

No it's not luck, it's urbanization being a huge factor.  I've often seen areas south of us have higher totals in late season events.

8 hours ago, EastonSN+ said:

March 2013, March 2009 and a few more can be added to the list.

I just feel that the 10+ snowfall list is very misleading to the forum. North south east and west of Manhattan. 

I believe that unless you are in Manhattan your chances of getting a 10+ snowfall in March are pretty decent and probably better than December.

Not just Manhattan, I would include western Long Island and the rest of the city too.  Basically all heavily urbanized areas around here.  I prefer December much more for our big snowstorms than March.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

No it's not luck, it's urbanization being a huge factor.  I've often seen areas south of us have higher totals in late season events.

Yea I'd agree as living in Manhattan for the past 8 years or so, temps cannot be marginal in order for the snow to sufficiently stick (outside of grassy areas though even there this is true to a point). Ideally, CPK should be at 30 or below.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ILoveWinter said:

Yea I'd agree as living in Manhattan for the past 8 years or so, temps cannot be marginal in order for the snow to sufficiently stick (outside of grassy areas though even there this is true to a point). Ideally, CPK should be at 30 or below.

If we could get an event like March 1993 with those kinds of temps and not changeover...then we would be in business!

Even in April (see April 1982).  We need temps to be several degrees below freezing to combat the sun angle and urbanization factors.

21 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Chris I really think if double digit snowstorms were still reasonably possible in the city or western long island after February, they would've happened already but they haven't in decades despite the favorite new snowy climate we have.  As for 20" plus...meh, the chances of getting hit by an extinction level asteroid are probably higher than NYC or urban western Long Island ever getting a 20" snowstorm after February.  It's why we actually want snowy Decembers more than snowy Marches....snowy Decembers usually lead to more snowy winters.  Dont get me wrong, I love to get a 6" storm in March or April, but we need to keep our expectations in check and not expect anything more than that.  March 1993 was the last time NYC had a 10" snow event after February correct (and that changed to rain.)  The last time we had an all snow snowstorm after the end of February was 10" in April 1982 (and it was actually 9.6" lol.....I'm not even sure when the last 10.0" plus storm after February was.)

Before 1993 the last 10 inch plus storm in March in NYC was March 3-4 1960 14.5 inches.

There have been 67 storms of 10 inches or more in NYC since records have been kept the last 153 years. Here's the breakdown by month.

No. Pct of total 10 + inch snows
1 1.5% November
13 19.4% December
16 23.9% January
26 38.8% February
9 13.4% March
2 3.0% April
67 100.0% Total
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I just don't believe 10"+ snowstorms in March in NYC and urban western Long Island are possible anymore because of the extensive urbanization enhancing the effect of sun angle.  6"+ yes, 10"+ no.  I mean I wont discount a fluke once in a 50 year event, but it's not something anyone should reasonably expect.  Eastern Long Island and NW areas are a different story.  The storms mentioned above should've happened in February or earlier.....March is just too late.

NYC had numerous 10”+ snowfall totals with the 3-21-18 snowstorm. The NYC UHI is most pronounced in Queens which had the heaviest 10”+ snowfall totals in that storm. So more about storm track and where the heaviest bands set up. There was also another 10”+ event in NYC and Western Nassau in March 2009. 

Public Information Statement
Spotter Reports
National Weather Service New York NY
500 PM EDT Thu Mar 22 2018...correction

..New York County...
   Grammercy Park        10.0  1115 PM  3/21  Law Enforcement    
Queens County...
   Queens Village        14.5   738 AM  3/22  Trained Spotter         
   Bayside               13.7   124 AM  3/22  Social Media            
   Little Neck           13.2   415 AM  3/22  Trained Spotter         
   Woodhaven             13.0  1200 AM  3/22  Public                  
   Rego Park             12.0   800 AM  3/22  Trained Spotter