Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

12 minutes ago, Jt17 said:

It's not even about what's going to be depicted on this run or the next, what he's trying to say is if H5 literally looked like that in real time as the storm happened, the output would be for more snow than the model runs are spitting out.

Forgive me ... but why would the model put down surface output that didn't reflect what it sees at the upper levels? There must be something that is causing that.

Just now, larrye said:

Forgive me ... but why would the model put down surface output that didn't reflect what it sees at the upper levels? There must be something that is causing that.

For one, it could be convective feedback issues. It happens sometimes when you have really explosive convection to the Northeast of where the surface low should be. Sometimes the surface low will try to chase that convection which would never happen in reality. 

I've also seen cases where we thought it might be convective feedback but the further East idea ended up being correct. It's a crapshoot. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, larrye said:

Of course there are reasons why the depiction ends up the way it does, but I think you're still missing his point. He's trying to say when H5 looks like that it historically has a very signature output in real life and since these are model outputs days in advance he's using some reasoning, history, logic that some of the noise the models are seeing wouldn't actually come into play and we've have a bigger storm for our area. He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the simplest way to look at it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MANDA said:

This would be a very welcome and appreciated snow event for this forum if expectations were not set so high early in the week with some of the very intense and epic solutions the Euro and EPS were showing and at times CMC and GFS back 5-7 days out.  Given the winter so far if this forum gets something close to the 12Z Euro take it and run!

I dunno. To me, I saw this coming all week long. I didn't look at the Kuchera maps. The GFS was never consistently at or inside the benchmark that I recall. And while the Euro was better, from what I recall, it also was either a bit east at times or was developing the storm too late.  I didn't know how much would fall, but I pretty much was thinking that it was looking like this was a NE and eastern LI storm with lower amounts as you go west and not much north and west of NYC. I didn't think we'd see 35" near NYC.

24 minutes ago, MANDA said:

No large scale overall changes with 12Z EURO.  Just "noise" in my opinion.  Remains close to something better but I think it is going to be just a little too late for most of this forum to cash in on double digit totals.  NJ coast and L.I. best chances for 12"+.  Amounts will taper quickly N and W of I95.  Would go with 4-8" NYC.  NW NJ 1-3, maybe 2-4".  I think final outcome could be close to what 12Z EURO is showing.  Having said that any minor adjustments could send totals upward and further to the NW as well.  Gut feeling is this is just going to be a little too late for much higher than what I've described.  Still a delicate situation that bears watching for adjustment.

Eps is also west of 6z.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MANDA said:

This would be a very welcome and appreciated snow event for this forum if expectations were not set so high early in the week with some of the very intense and epic solutions the Euro and EPS were showing and at times CMC and GFS back 5-7 days out.  Given the winter so far if this forum gets something close to the 12Z Euro take it and run!

I said all along with this keep expectations in check but there’s big upside potential. Non weenies here said the same. I’ll gladly take the about 10” it gives me and run. But there’s always a sense of missing out watching Boston get twice if not more so hopefully the minor changes happen to share more wealth.

If I was well NW I wouldn’t have gotten sucked in. There were only a couple really nuts Euro runs that brought heavy snow that far. Besides that it’s an evolution that isn’t favorable there. 

• Like 1

A_24hrsfc.thumb.gif.c94f1acc52f609f32d43f3a3fb91dd2c.gif

two lows that merge here- one off Florida Coast that is progged to be ABBSORBED

by the other off the Carolinas

models are bat shit crazy with this evolution

I marked up the 1020mb contour

developing storms have a knack of slowing down or not breaking into that  pressure gradient easily

old school tracking bias 

OPC  tracks it south of the Benchmark (extrap at 986mb)

500mb chart

A_48hr500.thumb.gif.09b1cf23a9c3ba82a60fac579fb184d3.gifCapture of the surface low is the key for weenie joy (west of the city)

there are hints all over the place for this

ecmwf_z500_vort_neus_18.thumb.png.566ebec3bb8039f0d9748c33760bc744.png

if the euro is correct as shown---the metro and west get jacked up banding snow-imho

Follow the meso scale models as always ....closer to game time

dm

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Doorman said:

A_24hrsfc.thumb.gif.c94f1acc52f609f32d43f3a3fb91dd2c.gif

two lows that merge here- one off Florida Coast that is progged to be ABBSORBED

by the other off the Carolinas

models are bat shit crazy with this evolution

I marked up the 1020mb contour

developing storms have a knack of slowing down or not breaking into that  pressure gradient easily

old school tracking bias 

OPC  tracks it south of the Benchmark (extrap at 986mb)

500mb chart

A_48hr500.thumb.gif.09b1cf23a9c3ba82a60fac579fb184d3.gifCapture of the surface low is the key for weenie joy (west of the city)

there are hints all over the place for this

ecmwf_z500_vort_neus_18.thumb.png.566ebec3bb8039f0d9748c33760bc744.png

if the euro is correct as shown---the metro and west get jacked up banding snow-imho

Follow the meso scale models as always ....closer to game time

dm

Boy, they are tracking it well SE of the BM.  Not sure i agree with that depiction.

• Thanks 1