Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

12 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

Yeah... this is a complete nowcast situation, unfortunately. A phase of 3-6 hours earlier, OR a slight different orientation of the trough OR a different phase going into the trough OR... etc.

So many moving pieces. So many. 

It may very well be. Everything is so close that it's going to be impossible to pinpoint this till it's happening. 

Just look at the run to run shifts. I don't think I've ever seen such volatility this close in.

It's a forecasting nightmare.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Franklin0529 said:

The gfs has been rock solid.  It's not backing down. That upgrade must've really worked wonders

We will see afterwards if the GFS was correct. However, I will add that precision and accuracy do not always go hand in hand. In fact they rarely do. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Franklin0529 said:

The gfs has been rock solid.  It's not backing down. That upgrade must've really worked wonders

If it's correct. Are you going to stake on it? Why aren't the pros in terms of snow forecasts? Would be no watches  anywhere in  the area even for me.

With respect, this is too volatile to just conclude the GFS is right. And yet, it absolutely could prove to be. Crazy times. 

This is extremely volatile especially with the precarious set up. Maybe the GFS has the best solution, maybe its slightly underestimating. I don't feel confident either way. 

11 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

There are stages of interactions that lead to the surface depiction. If one of the earlier and more crucial stages is showing a more favorable look than before above the surface, going forward it could lead to more significant changes downstream even if the current run doesn't show it yet. 

Atleast that would be my ELI5 understanding. 

In other words, the "facts" are that the 12z GFS did come west just a little bit more, but its track is still east and given the strength, its depiction of the point at which the deepening occurs, and the 12z depiction of the surface features, it has not converged with the Euro's solution and depicts a less intense solution ... ALTHOUGH, the upper air features on the 12z GFS do indicate some improvement and if that continues, MIGHT be the harbinger of a more favorable surface change on the 18z or 00z. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

It may very well be. Everything is so close that it's going to be impossible to pinpoint this till it's happening. 

Just look at the run to run shifts. I don't think I've ever seen such volatility this close in. 

Sure we have. I remember expecting a minor to moderate event on 1/3/18 because the system was riding too far east. Last minute west trend for the next day got me up to 14-15". 1/272015 had the epic Euro vs world battle until the end. Even before 1/25/16 the snow was supposed to stay south of Philly mostly and then blasted north at the very end. These are much different systems but there's often tons of volatility with these to the end. 

That said, the trend toward broadening the trough and delaying the consolidation of the different lows/features isn't what we want. We still have time for it to reverse enough to make a difference at least near the city. Hopefully it hits the Atlantic rocket fuel and takes off right away.

Remember when everything (except gfs) shifted 200-300 miles last night west taking everybody off the ledge. Well depending on the model you look at, they've drifted back 20-100 miles east. Most around 50 miles. That big shift was only about about 12 hours ago. The storm is 36 hours away. There's plenty of time for changes and on most models it wouldn't take much for something great. I wouldn't write off anything yet, for better or worse. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

It's a forecasting nightmare.

It might be close but there's a consensus forming that this is a storm for far eastern sections, the major snows I mean. Nothing is locked in yet but the models do seem to be honing in on a solution and time is running out, the GFS and Euro are closer than they've ever been the last few runs. A lot of the others are ticking east as well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

If it's correct. Are you going to stake on it? Why aren't the pros in terms of snow forecasts? Would be no watches  anywhere in  the area even for me.

With respect, this is too volatile to just conclude the GFS is right. And yet, it absolutely could prove to be. Crazy times. 

This is extremely volatile especially with the precarious set up. Maybe the GFS has the best solution, maybe its slightly underestimating. I don't feel confident either way. 

I'm not saying it's right. Yet. But everything has been trending toward it. An it hasnt wavered much

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jt17 said:

Remember when everything (except gfs) shifted 200-300 miles last night west taking everybody off the ledge. Well depending on the model you look at, they've drifted back 20-100 miles east. Most around 50 miles. That big shift was only about about 12 hours ago. The storm is 36 hours away. There's plenty of time for changes and on most models it wouldn't take much for something great. I wouldn't write off anything yet, for better or worse. 

Sometimes models overadjust when they sense a change from new data. The southern stream DC to ACY snow event this winter overadjusted on models when they saw suddenly it would be much further north. We were supposed to get 3-5" on some models in NYC but it ended up tons of virga.

1 minute ago, Franklin0529 said:

I'm not saying it's right. Yet. But everything has been trending toward it. An it hasnt wavered much

It will eventually cave. 

Just now, Franklin0529 said:

Not giving credit.  Just stating it hasnt wavered much an other guidance moving toward that solution.  Hopefully the nam is right.  I want a foot plus

Yeah, it's been consistently wrong. 

• Weenie 1

12 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

We will see afterwards if the GFS was correct. However, I will add that precision and accuracy do not always go hand in hand. In fact they rarely do. 

I had some hope last night, but right now this is looking like a Boston storm to me. Some parts of NJ may do ok ( as it stands right now, as well as parts of LI ) but those of us just west of the city, I think we may be grasping at straws here. These kinds of winters, sorta like 2007, just don't favor my area. At least we haven't had a ton of rain like we did that year IIRC.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Any chance the models are underestimating the effect of the SSTs? I can't logically offer anything on why they would, but they are anomalously high this year. Lots of energy. 

I’m surprised nobody is mentioning about this possibility. It could lead to faster pressure falls/earlier ULL closing. The meso models would pick up on this as we get closer to the event if it were to occur. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1