• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 16-18th Major Synoptic Snowstorm- Observation Thread

I've been on over 10 chases and last night was the first mistake I ever made. I couldn't leave Saturday night so I had to leave yesterday morning (from Philly to Erie). With all the errands I made in the AM I didn't leave until roughly 10-11. Instead of taking the NE extension then west I jumped right on the turnpike not even thinking what could happen. Made it a little past Harrisburg when it started to snow. We drove hours in blinding heavy snow before giving up right around NE of Pitt. I was so drained and exhausted from tracking and driving I couldn't take it anymore. We had about 100 miles to Erie at 15-30 mph at 9pm so enough was enough. Any reports up there? Before I went to bed it did seem west and east of Erie was getting hammered.

• Sad 2

23 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

3ish inches of white vomit. Sleet, downsloping, and oh, the temperature popped above freezing at the SYR airport.

The new winter in what has become the most ridiculous upstate city for "winter" weather.

The winds last night with sleet against the windows was something I have never experienced before

Maybe 2ish inches here last night

Matt, do you think Onondaga cashes in with at least 2-4 later today and tonight with LES?

4 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

All done here, I'd call it 9" for storm total as we've compacted some. Heaviest powdery snow I've ever seen.

January shaping up to have quite a big negative departure area wide, no? Frequent subzero nights on the horizon.

Just thinking that. We might go from a plus 5 or 6 at KBUF for December to a -4 or 5 in January 

Just now, sferic said:

The winds last night with sleet against the windows was something I have never experienced before

Maybe 2ish inches here last night

Matt, do you think Onondaga cashes in with at least 2-4 later today and tonight with LES?

I've experienced that sleetstorm vibe with pelted windows several times. I am truly flummoxed, as I don't know what type of setup we need these days to actually get a legit synoptic snowstorm here.

Yes, I believe we will get several additional inches of snow (thanks, again and of course, to Lake Ontario). We "should" see some enhancement this PM and then transition to some lake effect tonight. I may be in a better spot in NW Onondaga, being closer to the flow off the lake.

FINALLY transitioned back to some snow (light) here as of around 10 am.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Does anyone know if thundersnow occurred overnight around Buffalo or just Niagara Falls, approximate timestamp?

Forgot to save it but there was a large blip of at least a half dozen strikes around 3-4am just west of Buffalo and into Southern Ontario.  Pretty tight cluster. 

• Thanks 1