Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Winter Weenie Twilight Zone

40/70 Benchmark

51 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

March 30 1984 for me. That had everything. Reminds me a bit of Dec 1992 which was only a few years later with heavy rain and hurricane force wind gusts to heavy snow 

If I lived 5 miles north 92 would have been on my list, my sister got 3 feet with amazing drifts and I got 18 inches of mashed potatos.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Imagine if you will being in a season and a foreign land in which winter does not suck and KU set ups will not produce rain...you unlock the door to another dimension of winter ecstasy with the key of weenie imagination...beyond it is another dimension of snow, a dimension of wind, and a dimension free of subsidence, Hadley Cells and deconstructive wave interference. You are moving into a land of both deformation and CSI banding....you are crossing over into the Winter Weenie Twilight Zone-

You have ONE storm to replicate in your back yard....what will it be?

There are many storms that I wish I could replicate but my selection is :

The Luminous Blizzard of 1817......it is the type of storm that Jim Cantore dreams of in his wildest weather dreams.

Second Selection

The Great Snow of early-mid December of  1786

Third Selection:

The Hessian Storm

• Like 1

There was an event in 1983 were it was snowing so hard all day that we couldn't see a telephone pole 50 feet away from the house.  It must have been fairly localized in Norfolk as we were part of a regional high school and we got the whole week off, while the other towns only had two days off.

Went outside with my friends to go sliding and is the only only time I have ever been scared in a snowstorm as I was walking down the middle of the street and got a 0.1 mile from home and I had no idea where I was.

If we are going to go full Twilight Zone, then of course the Great White Hurricane of March, 1888 is the benchmark winter monster that I would want to visit.  Growing up in the capital region of New York, this was the storm of all storms that was discussed when I was young.  My cousin Marsha, who was over 100 years old when I was a kid would tell stories of that storm.  She was 13 or so years old when it happened.   Sheer Epicosity indeed. 

ratio3x2_1800.jpg

• Like 4

22 hours ago, weathafella said:

Of those that I’ve experienced first hand..

3/19/56 followed by 2/3-4/1961

Those would be my NNJ picks, though 2/61 would be first due to taller pack (thanks to the 1/19-20 storm and smaller events) and much more wind/drifting.

Bangor:  4/3-5/75

Fort Kent:  4/7-8/82   2nd place: 3/14-15/84

Gardiner:  No truly memorable snowstorms in 13 winters, so 1/8-10/98 instead, but with my 13kw Generac down there and ready to go.

New Sharon:  Actually experienced, 12/6-7/03.  Missed it by one day, 1/27-28/15.  Got home from SNJ ~12 hours after final flakes.

20 hours ago, Cyclone-68 said:

March 30 1984 for me. That had everything. Reminds me a bit of Dec 1992 which was only a few years later with heavy rain and hurricane force wind gusts to heavy snow 

My first weather memory is the vivid transition from rain to snow in Wilmington during the day in that event.

• Like 1

2/8/13. The kids were still young and were in awe when I opened the garage door and the snow was up to their heads.  Blizzard conditions and big drifts added to the allure of that one.  Had fun firing up the snowblower and blasting through that wall. 
edit: that’s a car that n the background 

6CC6F94D-9EDF-4F3A-83BB-393BE796D4DD.jpeg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, DJln491 said:

2/8/13. The kids were still young and were in awe when I opened the garage door and the snow was up to their heads.  Blizzard conditions and big drifts added to the allure of that one.  Had fun firing up the snowblower and blasting through that wall. 
edit: that’s a car that n the background 

6CC6F94D-9EDF-4F3A-83BB-393BE796D4DD.jpeg

great age too...my kids were a little too young to remember 2013, but my older son remembers 2015 as "the year the snow was up to my head"

On 1/15/2022 at 8:57 PM, Cyclone-68 said:

The Great Point Light Storm.

5997791.jpg?424

As to relive a specific storm? My first bust: 12/28/97. At 9 years old I felt jaded.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2022 at 11:58 AM, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Imagine if you will being in a season and a foreign land in which winter does not suck and KU set ups will not produce rain...you unlock the door to another dimension of winter ecstasy with the key of weenie imagination...beyond it is another dimension of snow, a dimension of wind, and a dimension free of subsidence, Hadley Cells and deconstructive wave interference. You are moving into a land of both deformation and CSI banding....you are crossing over into the Winter Weenie Twilight Zone-

You have ONE storm to replicate in your back yard....what will it be?

Not a storm but the Cold Friday of 1810.....one of the greatest arctic fronts to ever blast into New England

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Not a storm but the Cold Friday of 1810.....one of the greatest arctic fronts to ever blast into New England

I'd like to see the "Cold Storm" of 1857. It was so intense that it had an eye feature as recorded by a Nantucketer. Closer to our times, it would have to be 1978, at least out here on the cape or Nantucket (my dad was stationed at the LORAN-C transmitter out at Low Beach.

4 minutes ago, HalloweenGale said:

I'd like to see the "Cold Storm" of 1857. It was so intense that it had an eye feature as recorded by a Nantucketer. Closer to our times, it would have to be 1978, at least out here on the cape or Nantucket (my dad was stationed at the LORAN-C transmitter out at Low Beach.

Yes that certainly would be a great storm to see.  There are so many storms and events from the 1700's and 1800's. Back when winter was winter!

I experienced Feb 78 and the April 97 storms in the Boston area but I still think my all-time favorite was the January 2005 blizzard.  I was in Cambridge and it snowed for over 30 hours.  Measuring was tough with the drifting but it was well over 30” with drifts over 5 feet high.  Hours of whiteout conditions. 

1 hour ago, HalloweenGale said:

I've read that NYC had a January day that winter with a subzero max.  Records only date back thru 1869 and their coldest max since then is 2° on Dec 30, 1917.