Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

5 minutes ago, Festus said:

Today marks the greatest difference between clock noon and solar noon.  The sun reaches its zenith at 1:14 PM today for a 1 hour and 14 minute difference.  The difference tweaks shorter going forward.

There is another federal legislative attempt at eliminating Standard Time - this one sponsored by Whitehouse (D) and Rubio (R) and titled the Sunshine Protection Act (how cute).  Who knows, maybe this is the last time we spring forward.

Lots of stats, can not vouch for their validity, that say heart attacks and strokes spike over the next week. 

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Lots of stats, can not vouch for their validity, that say heart attacks and strokes spike over the next week. 

Why would the time change lead to an increase in health issues? Aside from the anger, that is. BECAUSE TIME CHANGE IS POINTLESS END THIS CHARADE NOW 

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

Why would the time change lead to an increase in health issues? Aside from the anger, that is. BECAUSE TIME CHANGE IS POINTLESS END THIS CHARADE NOW 

There is a bipartisan bill out there right now to do just that, keep us on daylight time forever. Not holding my breath though, as we’ve seen this rodeo before. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

There is a bipartisan bill out there right now to do just that, keep us on daylight time forever. Not holding my breath though, as we’ve seen this rodeo before. 

I’d vote for Scott Perry himself if he ended this nonsense - that’s how much I hate it. 

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

So whose side are you on?  Mine where we return to standard time permanently?  Or @Festus' who wants perpetual daylight saving?  By the way, Festus, I had heard a few years back that congress was entertaining the idea of taking the country back to standard time permanently.  I think there are 3 states that don't observe daylight saving...Arizona, parts of Indiana, and Hawaii.  They would be the most upset about being forced to daylight saving.  The one interesting thing that people wouldn't think about is that if we were on daylight saving time at the end of December around the solstice, the sun wouldn't rise until 8:30am for nearly the next 3 weeks!

3 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

So whose side are you on?  Mine where we return to standard time permanently?  Or @Festus' who wants perpetual daylight saving?  By the way, Festus, I had heard a few years back that congress was entertaining the idea of taking the country back to standard time permanently.  I think there are 3 states that don't observe daylight saving...Arizona, parts of Indiana, and Hawaii.  They would be the most upset about being forced to daylight saving.  The one interesting thing that people wouldn't think about is that if we were on daylight saving time at the end of December around the solstice, the sun wouldn't rise until 8:30am for nearly the next 3 weeks!

I don’t care just end this bullshit switch. I’d prefer standard however. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CarlislePaWx said:

We went through this back in the 1970s with the oil embargo in the winter. congress I think it was made DST year round.. Who likes it getting dark at 4:40pm anyway?

2 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

We went through this back in the 1970s with the oil embargo in the winter. congress I think it was made DST year round.. Who likes it getting dark at 4:40pm anyway?

You remember that also?  Actually, it was only done once, around New Year's 1973 when President Nixon took the country back to daylight saving.  I'll never forget that because suddenly it was still dark at 8:00am as I was getting ready for school.  I'm fine with it getting dark early because it is a reminder that winter is coming and we have the most protection from the sun for any snowpack.

6 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Interesting how you construed my posting of the legislation as an endorsement.   I personally like to do more evening outdoor activities when the weather is warm but can't say I would look forward to darkness so late in the AM over winter.  At the risk of incurring Canderson's wrath, I actually like things as they are.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yesterday’s snow was a tough snow to clean.  2” of paste then fluffy stuff on top. Maybe toughest snow of this year.

My snowblower kept plugging. Slushy snow froze solid this morning.

After today more daylight, spring is around the corner.

1 minute ago, pawatch said:

Yesterday’s snow was a tough snow to clean.  2” of paste then fluffy stuff on top. Maybe toughest snow of this year.

My snowblower kept plugging. Slushy snow froze solid this morning.

After today more daylight, spring is around the corner.

Yea, that is what I was suggesting yesterday as to the thought that the road/driveway temps played a part in that.  It was like that well before the sun became a factor.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, canderson said:

Info below is not my opinion vs. what I was referring to:

https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/news/20211105/harmful-effects-of-daylight-savings#:~:text=A 2019 report found a,States during daylight saving time.

45 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I've never had a problem with the time changes twice a year. It wasn't until the past few years that I realized how passionate some people are over this. It's just never been a thing for me.

Having said that - I look forward to going back an hour. I love extra long nights. 

Haha...I was also thinking of you when I wrote that since I know we both feel the same way about this topic.  To be honest, I wouldn't mind doing the switching if the timeframe went back to being equal with six months of both.  

Also, I need to correct what I said to @mahantango#1above...he was closer to being right than I was.  Here's a history clip from the web about the temporary expansion of DST...

Following the 1973 oil embargo, the US Congress extended the DST period to 10 months in 1974 and 8 months in 1975, in an effort to save energy. After the energy crisis was over in 1976, the DST schedule in the US was revised several times. From 1987 to 2006, the country observed DST for about 7 months each year.

Apparently my memory isn't quite a good as I thought it was...lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I vote for permanent Daylight time, would much rather have the extra light in the evening for practical purposes. Getting up in the morning is hard no matter what the daylight situation is haha. 

I certainly can understand and respect you for that...even if this might be the first time I've disagreed with you. :) 

32 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Temp is slower to climb than I would have thought. Currently it's 23.5 here. @Bubbler86 I think you mentioned last evening that a model was showing highs today staying at or below freezing?

That might verify.

At close to noon I'm only up to 24.8 from my low of 16.9.  I guess the strength of this arctic blast is stronger now than the models first projected...at least as far as limiting today's max temps.  If I had to guess I'd say my high is going to turn out to be close to 32.

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I've never had a problem with the time changes twice a year. It wasn't until the past few years that I realized how passionate some people are over this. It's just never been a thing for me.

Having said that - I look forward to going back an hour. I love extra long nights. 

I agree…I’ve never had a problem with the time change either.

More daylight after work in the evening is great for time in the yard with my kids or more time to take a family walk with our dog.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Temp is slower to climb than I would have thought. Currently it's 23.5 here. @Bubbler86 I think you mentioned last evening that a model was showing highs today staying at or below freezing?

That might verify.

It was the HRRR.  30 here and the clipper is moving in so not going to make it above freezing.  Impressive today that card with snow on the (parked) show little loss of the bounty.  Roads have cleared off but little melting otherwise. 

The clipper appears to be making its way across our state.  The first piece of it just passed over me but nothing falling from the sky yet.  If Blue Mountain doesn't screw things up like it often time does, the pretty solid batch of snow showers may make it to me.  If I see anything I'm only expecting flurries or maybe a period of showers.

My max temp today was only 33.4 degrees with the sun out just before the clouds rolled in.  I'm at 32.5 at the moment.  Shaded areas of my yard lost almost nothing today.  Sunny spots lost some, but not all snow cover.  It feels like midwinter out there with the wind.