• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

Back from summer hibernation.  Got to give you guys credit for staying active year round.  Guess there's weather outside winter after all.

And from the quirk 'o calendar department, today is actually the earliest sunset.  The latest sunrise isn't for another month.  Both due to the difference between true astronomical time and calendar time.

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/equation-of-time.html

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Festus said:

Back from summer hibernation.  Got to give you guys credit for staying active year round.  Guess there's weather outside winter after all.

And from the quirk 'o calendar department, today is actually the earliest sunset.  The latest sunrise isn't for another month.  Both due to the difference between true astronomical time and calendar time.

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/equation-of-time.html

We ground the daily temps at "The HIA" into a daily topic of discussion.  Would anyone be willing to bet the winter thread DEFINTIELY out does the summer thread?  LOL 

23 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Definitely felt like winter today . I'm in the process of  wiring a 80'x50' Horse barn . Stayed mostly cloudy and breezy all day.  Stuck in the 30s . 1st time wearing my big  Carhartt . Shredded it after 1 pm once I started pulling wire . I guess the wheels fell off tomorrow's threat but I guess seeing a couple flakes is still possible.  Hopefully tracking resumes soon .

Not for another week and a half at the very minimum. 

12 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Every year I take extended time off over the holidays and hardly ever do I have anything to track. I'll gladly exchange tomorrow for a nice snowfall between Christmas and New Year's...or even on Christmas Eve. :) 

Great point! I also have some extra time off around the holidays. Hopefully we will be busy tracking & scoring snow events during the holiday weeks!

I guess this is better than nothing…

Here is the latest from CTP..

843 PM EST Tue Dec 7 2021

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for central Pennsylvania.

.DAY ONE...Tonight.

Light snow will start late tonight and continue overnight. Significant
snow accumulations are not expected at this time.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Wednesday through Monday.

Light snow will continue Wednesday morning and taper off during the
afternoon hours. Significant snow accumulations are not expected at
this time.

24 minutes ago, paweather said:

We can hope so, this will vchange 100 million times but lets hope!

378hr panel.....what can change......:lol:

Just playin Blizz.  You keep sniffin out snow.  We like that.  My glass is also half full, but the last 2 years have tweaked that a bit.  Keep on keepin on pal. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

To give a bit of hope (and help for Blizz). Best case, it is a trend we need to see...further erosion of the big red blob, as well as suppression, which could be timed w/ MJO.  Also seeing some better looks w/ AO/NAO which supports this potential shift.  Will post pic in next post.

0z 

gfs-ens_z500a_us_63.png

6z

gfs-ens_z500a_us_62.png

8 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I've been thinking this morning about something my Meteorology professor at Penn State said on the first day of class many moons ago, "forecasts for more than 5-7 days out aren't worth the paper they're written on".  Things have gotten a bit better since then but still mostly truth. 

I agree digital snow is not always good to see unless it becomes reality 

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The 6z GFS is showing some light at the end of the tunnel as we approach Christmas.

46D52C78-B6C3-40FF-8A20-FDF7D98E029F.png

All i read was Blizz said its going to snow on Christmas:lmao:

It really wasn't that cold yesterday, but because it has been pretty warm, it just felt like it was 20 degrees and damp. And today appears to be starting out the same. This old boy needs a fire and 3 fingers of Mr. Jim Beam

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Voyager said:

I saw two flakes in the streetlight this morning when I left for work and that was it. Penndot brined the shit out of 309 from Tamaqua to Hazleton overnight. Not sure what they were thinking.

Gotta spend money before the holidays be of the year or you don’t get it allocated next. 

One issue I haven’t seen anything about is penndot is down a ton of drivers. If we even get snow roads aren’t being cleared anytime soon - they’re down almost half of its drivers iirc 

31 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I've been thinking this morning about something my Meteorology professor at Penn State said on the first day of class many moons ago, "forecasts for more than 5-7 days out aren't worth the paper they're written on".  Things have gotten a bit better since then but still mostly truth. 

and to that point, that's sorta why I like the mid/longer range stuff, as your dealing in macro space, not micro (like mby).  To me, its a bit more predictable.  I, like many, have spent gazillions of hours over the years, searching for snow every 6 hrs, and just like today, small differences in forecasts from 2 days ago, make a big diff in mby.  Things have come a long way, but as we've all discussed, the "updates" on some models have fixed certain problems, but have created others, and in the end, not sure how much better off we are.  Not looking to argue, as i know many stand in defense of them, but they, like all of us weather weenies....are just a tool.  :lol:  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

All i read was Blizz said its going to snow on Christmas:lmao:

It really wasn't that cold yesterday, but because it has been pretty warm, it just felt like it was 20 degrees and damp. And today appears to be starting out the same. This old boy needs a fire and 3 fingers of Mr. Jim Beam

This sh!t is moderately fantastic w/ Ginger.....just sayin

Jim Beam Orange

27 minutes ago, Voyager said:

I saw two flakes in the streetlight this morning when I left for work and that was it. Penndot brined the shit out of 309 from Tamaqua to Hazleton overnight. Not sure what they were thinking.

They must read your driving concern posts here and try to oblige you....

cant win.  

• Haha 1