Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

4 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

So we get these ridiculously torchy Decembers in El Niño years (2015) and in La Niña years (2021) and it’s confusing. It’s almost like the ENSO status isn’t the driving factor and there’s something else at play, but I can’t put my finger on what it is.

pretty certain i mowed my grass on Christmas Eve day 2015, in shorts. Not that it needed it, but just to say i did it. 

didn't we end up seeing a blizzard in January?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

pretty certain i mowed my grass on Christmas Eve day 2015, in shorts. Not that it needed it, but just to say i did it. 

Yep.  64 degrees for me on Christmas Eve.  I remember taking my window screens down and washing my front windows!  And then the BIG one 3-4 weeks later when I got 35", biggest single storm of my life.  I doubt I'll ever see that much from a storm again.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

Yinz most certainly did. Not so much for me, though that January was our last below normal temperature month before a string of 18 straight above normal.

34 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

So we get these ridiculously torchy Decembers in El Niño years (2015) and in La Niña years (2021) and it’s confusing. It’s almost like the ENSO status isn’t the driving factor and there’s something else at play, but I can’t put my finger on what it is.

I still think it's nuclear water in the Pacific post-Fukushima

34 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Every year I take extended time off over the holidays and hardly ever do I have anything to track. I'll gladly exchange tomorrow for a nice snowfall between Christmas and New Year's...or even on Christmas Eve. :) 

Absolutely.  While I hate the warm days in December, at least we've not been days and days of scorched here and have back n forth temps.  Unfortunately we need the cold prior and not after storm passage....and thats gonna take a reshuffle of the deck.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Every year I take extended time off over the holidays and hardly ever do I have anything to track. I'll gladly exchange tomorrow for a nice snowfall between Christmas and New Year's...or even on Christmas Eve. :) 

Doesn't look like there is anything tomorrow. 

36 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Enso is a factor, but IMO AO/NAO/PNA and EPO are players that make or break our cold intrusions happen here in the east.  Go look at the tellies....and the picture for the next couple weeks is pretty clear IMO.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

For those that are still mowing grass (me included), its really not growing at normal rates, and I'd suggest its 80/20 keeping lawn/leaves clean vs mowing tall green grass.  At least thats what it is at my casa.  I've done the same thing I've been doing for many years.  This year no different.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

I mowed mine twice in December that year including Christmas Eve. I didn't wear shorts, though...lol

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

For those that are still mowing grass (me included), its really not growing at normal rates, and I'd suggest its 80/20 keeping lawn/leaves clean vs mowing tall green grass.  At least thats what it is at my casa.  I've done the same thing I've been doing for many years.  This year no different.

I have never mowed grass past mid to late November over the past 4 Falls-->Winter. Onions growing is certainly a new one. 

35 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

19 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I have never mowed grass past mid to late November over the past 4 Falls-->Winter. Onions growing is certainly a new one. 

Mowing this time of year isn't really a novelty, but how green the grass seems to be and the rate my grass is growing seems odd given the number of hard freezes thus far. 

So...I agree with both of these sentiments. :)