Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Widespread Snow Potential January 16th to January 18th

sferic

5 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

I question that show shield being as expansive as the Euro is showing it. This look is what gives the nice widespread snow amounts for all of PA and NY. I would almost split that snow shield in half and the southern/eastern half would be a sleet, mix, etc...

108CD384-9230-4C5E-9EB6-CAAE24C80E01.png

Bingo, it’s missing warm layers. I would bet there is more sleet than shown here thus cutting down totals 

This morning the plan was Rochester, but now I'm thinking of headed towards Niagra Falls. Though, if I see more NW ticks I'll just stay home. Really want to get into that deformation/ccb zone as long as possible. Reminds me when I chased to Lewisburg pa last year for the Dec storm. I got mix/dry slotted during the height while just north of me saw 2 feet. Well see what happens 

• Like 2

Just now, Owensnow said:

Thoughts on NW Camp?

I am near Leamington, ON

Tough to say at this point. Small changes in the strength/positioning of the plains vort is resulting in practical changes to the low track. This alters the position of the deformation zone. Recent runs have been trending a bit further south/stronger with the plains vort... leading to more phasing with our cutoff low. Under this scenario (eg 18z ECMWF), the heaviest snow band tracks a bit further NW through GTA etc. Another plausible scenario is something like the 18z NAM which is a bit less phased with the low track further east. Future runs (starting with 0z tonight) should help clarify things and build consensus... hopefully.

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I thought you guys said its going to go further SE last minute? I've been in WNY for a long time and I'd say 80% of Miller As always go further north then modeled the last 1-2 days before impact. Miller Bs have a greater tendency to go further SE.

Well it’s not like it has already happened. This storm could go 50-75 miles further East as moves up the coast (plus we are still 48 hours out).  I watched nor’easters do weird shit real time over the years. I think there is wiggle room with this anomalous setup and so much convection. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I’ve never seen Toronto get crushed so if it’s going to somewhat miss me I’d love to see them score a big one. It’s takes a really wild setup for that to happen with a huge return interval. 

For Toronto, since 1855:

Number of 24"+ events 0

Number of 20"+ events 4

Number of 18"+ events 7

Number of 15"+ events 21

Number of 12"+ events 46

% chance of seeing a 12"+ snowstorm in a snowfall season 28%

15"+                                                    13%

18"+                                                    4%

20"+                                                    2.5%

24"+                                                  RARE

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, blizzardof96 said:

Tough to say at this point. Small changes in the strength/positioning of the plains vort is resulting in practical changes to the low track. This alters the position of the deformation zone. Recent runs have been trending a bit further south/stronger with the plains vort... leading to more phasing with our cutoff low. Under this scenario (eg 18z ECMWF), the heaviest snow band tracks a bit further NW through GTA etc. Another plausible scenario is something like the 18z NAM which is a bit less phased with the low track further east. Future runs (starting with 0z tonight) should help clarify things and build consensus... hopefully.

Well said,

Are there any older model runs that previously had shown a more phased NW solution?  Sometimes I find the models get it long range but as things get closer, yet still outside of 48 hours, they revert back to the original runs.

• Like 1