Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Widespread Snow Potential January 16th to January 18th

sferic

54 minutes ago, Buckeyes_Suck said:

Was originally at late 80s toro with a 7.5 HP motor handed down by my wife’s grandfather. When the original motor threw a rod I swapped it for a 13hp harbor freight and added the battery. I changed the pulley for the auger so it spins a little faster, and recently added rubber paddles to the second stage. The lid is Ss, I had to add that to keep snow out of the carb and governor linkage. Added the autobots logo while I was at it. The distance that it can throw snow is comical. Maybe I’ll finally get some video with this storm tomorrow. 

Holy crap and I thought mine was a monster. You can probably throw snow over your neighbor’s house. I thought that was stainless steel. My father worked as a sheet metal cutter mostly cutting stainless steel for dairy storage tanks. Way back in the day his employer let them make things out of stainless scraps. He made things from ash trays to a Christmas tree stand, a desk for my younger sister and probably the only stainless steel Christmas manger in the world.  Those modifications probably added 50 lbs to your blower. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, vortmax said:

Trying to understand why the HRRR jumps the LP to the coast, weakens the primary, then re-strenghtens it, and ultimately merges the 2 again further west.  Anyone wanna explain that one?? ;)

Looking at these 500mb charts, you can see that the two waves finally begin merging right between 7pm and 1am. Look at how diffluent the upper levels are over central and western Pa in the second frame!  That drives a ton of surface based upward vertical motion and the surface low pressure surges NW. Not good for anyone east of the Genny.  Going to be some incredible rates for those who stay all snow though. 

5976330C-C82C-451A-BA46-C14845F95A74.thumb.jpeg.2171601d9c92fe4a3d3c7c761afad40c.jpeg

C804689C-631F-489C-B58C-D401C04B09E2.thumb.jpeg.a278e2102e4a120475aaa5e95e280c3f.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Have fun, western NY guys.

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH MONDAY/...
...MAJOR WINTER STORM TONIGHT THROUGH MONDAY...

Regional radars early this evening showing leading edge of snow
entering the western Southern Tier. Observations along the western
Southern Tier into northern Pennsylvania supporting a rapid increase
in intensity to the snow once it starts, with visibilities dropping
to an mile or less.

Snow will move quickly to the north likely reaching the south shore
of Lake Ontario by 9 pm. The heaviest snowfall rates still look to
be several hours away, but we should start see snowfall rates
exceeding an inch per hour across western New York by midnight and
increasing to perhaps as much as 3+ inches per hour overnight into
Monday morning.
  • Like 1