• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York- Jan 9-11 Lake Effect Snow Event

5 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

VD and St paddy's day 07 both featured 5-6" of sleet where I lived in Queens. Absolutely epic. Trillions of frozen ball bearings were a nightmare for plows.

Plowing that amount of sleet sounds like they are pushing glass. I remember hearing that when I lived in State College. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Valentine's Day 07 is the one I was talking about. Yes, truly epic.

For me, I believe 1994 was the year on Long Island had an Ice storm I will never forget, a crystalline paradise that stayed in tack for a few days. Temperatures were suppose to rise above freezing but a NNE wind kept it all Freezing Rain

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Valentine's Day 07 is the one I was talking about. Yes, truly epic.

VD2.0 was epic here. 12+ from synoptic and about same from lake enhanced wrap around / LES. 24+ over 2.5 days. My son had school that first day. Sent home at noon in a fustercluck as it was pounding (as predicted). How times have changed...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sferic said:

For me, I believe 1994 was the year on Long Island had an Ice storm I will never forget, a crystalline paradise that stayed in tack for a few days. Temperatures were suppose to rise above freezing but a NNE wind kept it all Freezing Rain

The winter of 93-94 was the most epic winter of my childhood in Lancaster. Snowstorm...icestorm...snowstorm..ice storm. You could walk on top of the deep pack without falling through at all.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sferic said:

IIrc we were supposed to change to rain and mid 30s in VD07 but stayed in the mod 20s and sleet.

Just now, TugHillMatt said:

I've gotta say... I love having you in Cicero. We've got all the major north suburbs of Syracuse covered. You in Cicero, CNY in Brewerton, Syrmax in Clay (north side), and me in Bville. It's great coverage!

Glad to be part of this group; have to say I have learned much so far from you guys!

Not much sleeping next 24 hours for me.

Understanding wife who agreed to the move up here too!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

VD and St paddy's day 07 both featured 5-6" of sleet where I lived in Queens. Absolutely epic. Trillions of frozen ball bearings were a nightmare for plows.

Great storm. Around 20 inches here... but your current location was in the jack zone of widespread 30-40" amounts. 

Screenshot_20220109-215326_Chrome.jpg.1c99c8eb799143d44ab976d4e12b62c0.jpgFeb_14_2007_KENX_1730Z.thumb.jpg.cb2e561cdc69bd4058d560d6e87f35c7.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BGM Blizzard said:

Great storm. Around 20 inches here... but your current location was in or near the jack zone with widespread 30-40" amounts. 

Screenshot_20220109-215326_Chrome.jpg.1c99c8eb799143d44ab976d4e12b62c0.jpgFeb_14_2007_KENX_1730Z.thumb.jpg.cb2e561cdc69bd4058d560d6e87f35c7.jpg

That snowfall distribution was very similar to the Christmas 2002 bomb.  Had about 24" in Clifton Park.  And 20" around 7-8 days later. The only bummer was that it was mild in between storms.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Roc is covered good. Got delta on west side. Rochester dave on north and south side. Me and vort on east side. 

Good Wayne county spotters are important with the lack of radar coverage for lake effect events. Glad to have you two.  West of me is a huge hole. I don’t think we have or have ever had one Orleans member. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Good Wayne county spotters are important with the lack of radar coverage for lake effect events. Glad to have you two.  West of me is a huge hole. I don’t think we have or have ever had one Orleans member. 

I've always wondered how well Orleans does. Radar seems lit up there alot during lake effect. 

3 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

@sferic, this is a perfect example of the different world it often is from us in the north burbs to Syracuse itself. Check out the webcam...nary a flake in downtown.

Armory Square Webcam in Syracuse, NY | Armory Cam

WOW, and it's ripping here, rivaling what I've seen in Long Islands or Catskills Best

Thanks for that link, great camera view to use as a reference

• Like 2