• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Upstate/Eastern New York- Jan 9-11 Lake Effect Snow Event

Kbgm issuing some headlines..

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST TUESDAY...

* WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected. Total snow accumulations of
  less than one inch and ice accumulations of a light glaze up to
  one tenth of an inch. Lake Effect snow begins tonight lasting
  through Monday with additional snow accumulation of 1 to 8
  inches. The highest amounts are expected north of the Thruway.
  Winds gusting as high as 30 mph.

* WHERE... Onondaga county.

* WHEN...Until 1 AM EST Tuesday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions due to the wintry mix
  today. Where Lake Effect snow occurs, roads will become slick
  and snow covered in spots.

LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO
1 AM EST TUESDAY...

* WHAT...For the Lake Effect Snow Warning, heavy lake effect snow
  expected. Total snow accumulations of 12 to 24 inches in
  northern Oneida county and 6 to 16 inches in Southern Oneida
  county.

For the Winter Weather Advisory, mixed precipitation expected.
 Very light snow and sleet accumulation of an inch or two in spots,
ice accumulations of around one tenth of an inch. Winds gusting
as high as 35 mph.

* WHERE...Northern Oneida and Southern Oneida counties.

* WHEN...For the Lake Effect Snow Warning, from 4 PM this
  afternoon to 1 AM EST Tuesday. For the Winter Weather
  Advisory, until 4 PM EST this afternoon.

* IMPACTS...Travel will be very difficult to impossible tonight
  and Monday. The hazardous conditions will impact the morning and
  evening commutes Monday. A few slick spots from freezing rain
  today.

4 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

High Rez Canadian continues to bump north, closer to the rgem..Sharp cutoff just to the north though..

hrdps_asnow_neus_48 (9).png

For awhile, tomorrow through the time of the Arctic fropa, we should see occasional rates of 5-7" per hour, and from my experience, as that front passes and is oriented with the band and merges, there could be a very brief period of mind blowing rates...seen it twice in my life when living in Parish. 

I took about an 80/20 ratio (Rgem/3k Nam) when making my call.

I believe the difference between the 2 models is that the nam keeps the band as a lakeshore band, where as the regional Canadian brings the band closer to the major axis of the lake.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Yeah insane 2-3” QPF with 20:1 or higher ratios. You do the math. That’s insanity. 

D04DFF2E-DF11-450C-9F1D-5B2732218D81.png

Also have to remember, thats a 48hr map, cut about .5-.75 qpf off for right now according to the hrdps. It does flip over to snow later this morning in that area per hrdps. But I dunno, these warm layers are sneaky

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sferic said:

Wow, looking at the probalistice forecase for N Onondaga, wow; 14",? I'll gladly take it

Can actual  these exceed these  amounts in my part? We'll see, but geared up with food, salt and will be up for next 24 hours which i guess is par for the course

noe prob 2.JPG

I’d gladly take the 16 inches. Am I counting on it - no. I expect the heaviest snow to be just north of me and we’ll be lucky to get a couple of inches with the Arctic fropa. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

I’d gladly take the 16 inches. Am I counting on it - no. I expect the heaviest snow to be just north of me and we’ll be lucky to get a couple of inches with the Arctic fropa. 

Think positive ! I'll gladly take 7 inches but it more than doubled on the probabilistic from 1am to 7am; but we'll see

7 minutes ago, sferic said:

Think positive ! I'll gladly take 7 inches but it more than doubled on the probabilistic from 1am to 7am; but we'll see

I’ve been burned by too many lake effect snow events which has made me a pessimist.  I hope I’m wrong and we get a foot plus. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, sferic said:

Can actual  these exceed these  amounts in my part? We'll see, but geared up with food, salt and will be up for next 24 hours which i guess is par for the course

Bless your Long Island heart. :lol: We don't stock up on things in these parts. It may dump snow, and then after a few hours, life goes on. I remember when I moved from Lancaster, PA to a snow belt, I was shocked when we had a foot of snow and schools still opened. The best chance for school closures here is if the heavy snow hits during rush hour and looks to continue. We don't do "snowed in" in these parts unless it's several feet.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, sferic said:

12 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

I’ve been burned by too many lake effect snow events which has made me a pessimist.  I hope I’m wrong and we get a foot plus. 

Take CNY's advice. Lake effect snow brings many disappointments and a few Beautiful surprises. It's much easier to take if you expect little and then are pleasantly surprised. I am STILL learning this after 13 years of living in lake effect areas.

• Like 2

WPC

The best forcing/lift is farther north with the eastern UP, Huron/Georgian Bay, and Lake Ontario favored for heavy LES. Inversion heights climb to 10,000 ft due to as high as 1000 J/kg of instability, snowfall rates will become intense, especially downstream of Lake Ontario streamlines make the effective fetch/additional moisture from Lakes Superior and Huron overlap with long fetch over Lake Ontario directly into orographic lift of the southern Tug Hill late tonight into Monday night. Snowfall of 1.5 to 2"/hr are the mean from the 00Z HREF over this area for at least 20 hours. While the actual single-band will waiver slightly through this time, 24"+ are likely.

12 hours ago, tim123 said:

Anyone with more knowledge than me can tell me what this sounding means in rochester? 

Screenshot_20220108-221204_Samsung Internet.jpg

It shows a very dry atmosphere basically devoid of any synoptic moisture. It does show very steep low level lapse rates and thus a conditionally unstable boundary layer, but without moisture it doesn’t mean much.  Almost no directional wind shear but winds are nearly due west. Lake induced instability would be extreme under that. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, sferic said:

@wolfie09What is the link source for that awesome graphic? Thanks !

5 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Yeah no problem..

It's the same source as the posted snowfall totals..

Click on Winter storm severity index..

https://www.weather.gov/bgm/winter

My weenie heart didn't know about either of these. Thanks!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CNY_WX said:

Watch, we actually get hammered this time...and he'll be thinking...what is wrong with you people? (prolly saying that already). ;)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Syrmax said:

Watch, we actually get hammered this time...and he'll be thinking...what is wrong with you people? (prolly saying that already). ;)

So what’s the over/under on how much we’ll get by Tuesday morning in northern Onondaga?  I’m thinking 6 inches