Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It depends why you are doing it......I like to see how accurate I am when I compose it in late October/ early November. While I will adjust ideas in subsequent blog posts, the original outlook gets graded as is from November.

At this point, I am going to need a big event or two to catch up prior to the January thaw, or else my seasonal snowfall totals will likely be too high.

Still very possible we catch up, but I am obviously frustrated at this point.

This is my honest assessment of where things stand.

5 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

As long as we have something to get us through the next rough patch, it will at least keep some people barely afloat LOL

Man, looking at all three ensemble suites, I don't see much hope for anything significant right through the first week to ten days of January.

Yikes. Hopefully that changes, but it looks like more of the same crap, to me....energy tumbling down the west coast from AK, attenuating and lifting north as it heads east.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Man, looking at all three ensemble suites, I don't see much hope for anything significant right through the first week to ten days of January.

Yikes. Hopefully that changes, but it looks like more of the same crap, to me....energy tumbling down the west coast from AK, attenuating and lifting north as it heads east.

From WPC overnight:

A blocky and amplified ridge/upper high anchored over the northern 
Pacific should finally begin to break down and weaken next 
weekend. Before that though, renewed troughing (and chilly 
weather) will continue across the Western U.S., including a 
southern stream closed low near southern California 
Thursday-Friday. An initial northern stream shortwave will send 
one system across the Great Lakes/Northeast late this week, but by 
the weekend a stronger system (and northern Pacific ridge 
weakening) should finally allow for a pattern shift as amplified 
troughing shifts into the central U.S. and the East

13 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

From WPC overnight:

A blocky and amplified ridge/upper high anchored over the northern 
Pacific should finally begin to break down and weaken next 
weekend. Before that though, renewed troughing (and chilly 
weather) will continue across the Western U.S., including a 
southern stream closed low near southern California 
Thursday-Friday. An initial northern stream shortwave will send 
one system across the Great Lakes/Northeast late this week, but by 
the weekend a stronger system (and northern Pacific ridge 
weakening) should finally allow for a pattern shift as amplified 
troughing shifts into the central U.S. and the East

I don't see much signs of a shift on the ensembles...all I am saying.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

A solid dose of crappy snow winters is needed IMHO. The 2000s/2010s turned us into entitled whiners. 

Well, I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for, but this will potentially be my fourth consecutive season of greater than 10" below average seasonal snowfall.

5 minutes ago, crownweather said:

CIPS analog hints at an "Ice, Ice Baby" scenario with the storm New Year's weekend.  Anyone know how significant the freezing rain event was for around December 17-18 or so of 2008 - which would have been a week after the very significant ice storm on December 11, 2008.  

Screenshot 2021-12-27 090346.png

12/17/08 was a weak overrunning event that dropped an inch or two of snow and then a small glaze. It wasn’t a significant event. A couple days later we got a big snow event on 12/19/08. 

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Well, I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for, but this will potentially be my fourth consecutive season of greater than 10" below average seasonal snowfall.

Your small area in NE MA has been a bit of a screwgie the past 3 winters but not indicative of the region as a whole. A good chunk of SNE did fine last year. 

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

My thoughts are we get most of the snows in late winter. Late Feb & March as blocking returns and PNA signature is more favorable. 

I agree.....my thoughts all along have been a back loaded winter, but I thought December and early January would have decent snowfall, which doesn't seem to be working out.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Well this is the pattern to get that started. Best snows in the type of pattern forecasted over the next 10-15 days will be those with some latitude. 

Yea, my thought going in was that it would happen this season, but it hasn't...at least not yet. Hey, who knows....maybe this is the regression from 2007-2008 when this area killed the rest of the region.