Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The comments are funny. Someone commented and said how they remember big storms growing up in the 40s blah blah blah. I’m like you had one good year in a sea of mediocrity.

The 1930s through the early 1950s were pretty much dogshit for BOS snow (and most of New England)…there were a few good years in there like 1947-48…but the bad ones vastly outweighed them. 

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The comments are funny. Someone commented and said how they remember big storms growing up in the 40s blah blah blah. I’m like you had one good year in a sea of mediocrity.

Yep.  For sure.  Granted the records are from Worcester but the 1940s were definitely a mixed bag of winters - some really horrible like 1941-42, 1943-44 & 1946-47, but others did really well (looking at you 1947-48).  

Screenshot 2021-12-26 102246.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The 1930s through the early 1950s were pretty much dogshit for BOS snow (and most of New England)…there were a few good years in there like 1947-48…but the bad ones vastly outweighed them. 

Yeah I didn’t really engage them,  but it was the classic “I remember when..” type deal lol. 

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I didn’t really engage them,  but it was the classic “I remember when..” type deal lol. 

The only generation that really has credence in saying that are those who had most of their childhood from the late 1950s through early 1970s. That was a pretty awesome stretch. 

The modern version of that will be those who grew up mostly between 2000-2015. The difference is that there were a couple awful ratters mixed in but they also had some really high end winters that even the 1960s had trouble matching like 2014-2015…and the ridiculous storms too. Really high end KU type events. 

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The only generation that really has credence in saying that are those who had most of their childhood from the late 1950s through early 1970s. That was a pretty awesome stretch. 

The modern version of that will be those who grew up mostly between 2000-2015. The difference is that there were a couple awful ratters mixed in but they also had some really high end winters that even the 1960s had trouble matching like 2014-2015…and the ridiculous storms too. Really high end KU type events. 

Yeah that stretch from the late 50s to early 70s was just a good, solid stretch. Not a lot of crazy up and downs, just good winters. 

47 minutes ago, crownweather said:

Yep.  For sure.  Granted the records are from Worcester but the 1940s were definitely a mixed bag of winters - some really horrible like 1941-42, 1943-44 & 1946-47, but others did really well (looking at you 1947-48).  

Screenshot 2021-12-26 102246.png

3 bad winters, 3 slightly below to near avg. winters, 2 good winters.  (not factoring in temperature departures).  Not terrible. Were records were lower down near/in the city rather than the airport too?

11 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, if you noticed....I checked out this week.....didn't care to blog on 2" in CT, a slight glaze Xmas AM, or a supposed inch or two in this area this AM. Mother nature can take the nuisance waves, sit on them and rotate.

Yup, that’s the correct approach for now. Looks like more of the same too. :axe: