Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

14 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, I noted that same subtle tendency....those are the higher end "hybrids" that I was alluding to...like Feb 2013, 1978 etc. Feb 1978 is indeed a hybrid, though many don't consider as such bc the s stream SW was so minor, but technically it is. I remember Will debated me on that before.

Yeah for all intents and purposes, '78 was a Miller B...there's really no binary answer on most of these because we are able to observe a fart swirl in the low levels a lot better than we did back in the 1940s when the designations came out in the Miller paper. I would say Feb '13 was more of a hybrid than '78 was...but both were very northern stream dominant which is why they went insane on SNE. You could say the same thing for January 12, 2011 too. Like, technically there's a swirl down off FL as the storm approaches from the west, but do we really care that much when the dominant low is in the OH valley at first? That's kind of the distinction Miller made in his paper too....talking about a dominant low inland in the OH valley yielding to cyclogenesis on the east coast. I think that's really the spirit of the definition.

Anyways, enough of the semantics before I derail the thread further. :lol:

• Like 2

Day 9??.  Ok I will bite. Will saying we won't get to normal snow this year is interesting seeing as we are in the climo bombs period for the next 8 weeks. Hope he is wrong. February will be a battle zone. Hopefully we get a 3 day overrunning. There have been 20  winters which filled the bucket to bring me to normal from my current 21 inches to my average 56 . Snow from Jan 27th on. I will take those odds and say we normal by April 30th

Screenshot_20220121-161936_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Day 9??.  Ok I will bite. Will saying we won't get to normal snow this year is interesting seeing as we are in the climo bombs period for the next 8 weeks. Hope he is wrong. February will be a battle zone. Hopefully we get a 3 day overrunning. There have been 20  winters which filled the bucket to bring me to normal from my current 21 inches to my average 56 . Snow from Jan 27th on. I will take those odds and say we normal by April 30th

Screenshot_20220121-161936_Chrome.jpg

You have a much better chance to reach normal than I do (I already specifically mentioned that CT has a better shot)....you already have more snow than me on the year and your climo is lower. For a place like here that barely has 15" and needs another 50 to reach climo is much bleaker....it's possible, but odds are stacked against it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You have a much better chance to reach normal than I do (I already specifically mentioned that CT has a better shot)....you already have more snow than me on the year and your climo is lower. For a place like here that barely has 15" and needs another 50 to reach climo is much bleaker....it's possible, but odds are stacked against it.

You average the same as this area and Union/ NE CT ? We are at ~20” YTD

28 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah for all intents and purposes, '78 was a Miller B...there's really no binary answer on most of these because we are able to observe a fart swirl in the low levels a lot better than we did back in the 1940s when the designations came out in the Miller paper. I would say Feb '13 was more of a hybrid than '78 was...but both were very northern stream dominant which is why they went insane on SNE. You could say the same thing for January 12, 2011 too. Like, technically there's a swirl down off FL as the storm approaches from the west, but do we really care that much when the dominant low is in the OH valley at first? That's kind of the distinction Miller made in his paper too....talking about a dominant low inland in the OH valley yielding to cyclogenesis on the east coast. I think that's really the spirit of the definition.

Anyways, enough of the semantics before I derail the thread further. :lol:

Fair enough. I haven't read the literature, so if that is the distinction that he made, then so be it.

25 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yea you mentioned sw CT. Hope everyone gets there.  The Incessant negative Nellie's need a break. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Frigid.

313 PM EST Fri Jan 21 2022

...Bitterly cold temperatures are forecast for the North Country
tonight...

Another round of cold temperatures are expected tonight with low
temperatures generally dipping to between 10 and 30 below zero.
Although winds will be light to calm, protect against hypothermia
and expect to need multiple layers of clothing if heading
outdoors. Running or even a brisk walk in these conditions could
result in frost bite on exposed skin.

Damn. If this were a full out torch there would be dozens of posts from the usually heat mizer, torch tiger,Ct rain types.

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Had to take a weenie drive. You go from a coating to about 5” in maybe 3-4 miles. Crazy gradient. 
Makes me want to camp out on a frozen cranberry bog by myself like Bear Grylls.

Had maybe about 2 inches here where I am in Pembroke.  Like being in a snow globe all day.

27 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Had to take a weenie drive. You go from a coating to about 5” in maybe 3-4 miles. Crazy gradient. 
Makes me want to camp out on a frozen cranberry bog by myself like Bear Grylls.

It was pretty wild… our work building is right on the carver Plymouth line in front of the airport…. Was 2+ inches of snow when I left work at noon and a few miles west by the time I was getting on 44, didn’t even have evidence of snow. Very local. Cool stuff 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lol.. Wee Willie Winky and Scoots using my own tactics against me . Good stuff :lol: 

Snowy Tuesday 

I just realized something. I'm not sure if I am proud or scared by it. I went down to see some cool mesoscale effects and snow, suddenly I feel happier. Even though I am home and it looks like a Chernobyl landscape outside...was nice to see.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Frigid.

313 PM EST Fri Jan 21 2022

...Bitterly cold temperatures are forecast for the North Country
tonight...

Another round of cold temperatures are expected tonight with low
temperatures generally dipping to between 10 and 30 below zero.
Although winds will be light to calm, protect against hypothermia
and expect to need multiple layers of clothing if heading
outdoors. Running or even a brisk walk in these conditions could
result in frost bite on exposed skin.

brrr-cold.gif