Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

15 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

You're being way too sensible here.   Why not complain and make declarative statements 48 hours before the storm, you weirdo.

You know this is not a KU-level storm, so it is not going to go over well!! I love snow, but this is like getting cold cuts after so many had a huge feast. I will take it because I love snow, but I need the multiple-hour SN+ to be really happy! This is not the Ji-level event, and you know it!

• Weenie 1

4 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

With this set up, going to be much more of a classic tendency for a N shift in the last 48 hours. Doesn’t mean it will be huge, but that’s the way I’d hedge for now. Factors playing into that will be the strength of our shortwave and its position relative to northern stream waves that are suppressing the flow enough to push it south of our latitude. If you were on @psuhoffmans first zoom chat, recall he was saying that a 500mb track along the VA/NC border was classic for DC. 6z GFS takes the shortwave on a Roanoke—Richmond—OCMD route. The slight northward component to that route indicates it’s negatively tilted at our latitude, which will help bring Atlantic moisture onshore.

I tend to agree but the one possible fly in that is the NS system over New England just ahead of it is trending stronger and south. It’s flattening the flow and preventing more ridging in front. We’re seeing a trend towards a more amplified wave as expected but if the NS continues to trend more suppressive it will offset that. 

ETA: btw when you are in the chats please let me know if you want to take the floor, Im 100% sure we would all love to listen to your takes. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Just how the hell am I supposed to get anything useful out of this?

This is what I take from this.  The energy (low) if quite far south tapping Gulf moisture.  This should lead to a storm coming up the coast/ near.  I don't see this as a Miller B with that look more miller A.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WhiteoutMD said:

This is what I take from this.  The energy (low) if quite far south tapping Gulf moisture.  This should lead to a storm coming up the coast/ near.  I don't see this as a Miller B with that look more miller A.   

Thanks and of course I was just kidding. A storm up the coast, however, isn’t what all of want lol

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I tend to agree but the one possible fly in that is the NS system over New England just ahead of it is trending stronger and south. It’s flattening the flow and preventing more ridging in front. We’re seeing a trend towards a more amplified wave as expected but if the NS continues to trend more suppressive it will offset that. 

IMO New England ns strength is often overdone and is often modeled too slow. Saw it on the last system.

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

That’s the part that typically will change the other way as we get closer IMO

I dunno that tends to be a 50/50 thing. When we get a suppressive trend the final 48 hours it’s often from a NS wave over the top timed up badly. What more often causes the north trend is guidance underestimating the southern SW and the ability for it to gain a bit more latitude than they expected. That and often guidance underestimated the banding on the NW periphery of a system. 

i would obviously want a better surface low reflection/track, but it does seem like this one will be harder to miss for the areas closer to the m/d line (upper level vort max is further north than the last system).  with that said, dc/bmore is looking like they're sitting pretty again so far.

1 minute ago, 87storms said:

i would obviously want a better surface low reflection/track, but it does seem like this one will be harder to miss for the areas closer to the m/d line (upper level vort max is further north than the last system).  with that said, dc/bmore is looking like they're sitting pretty again so far.

Depends what you classify as a “miss”. Do I think we get totally skunked again no. But it’s possible we only get 1-3” while areas south get more if the less amplified solutions win out. 

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Depends what you classify as a “miss”. Do I think we get totally skunked again no. But it’s possible we only get 1-3” while areas south get more if the less amplified solutions win out. 

agreed.  mostly just want to avoid a skunk at this point.  that was pretty annoying...though the models hinted at that on sunday, so it was at least somewhat expected.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic