Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

7 hours ago, MikeB_01 said:

The most notable thing form the 00z so far is the narrow band of HEAVY zr that is showing up consistently on the modeling. It has been clear on all so far. The position of that band will be a very rough patch for whoever is under it.

But again, if it's heavy that'd likely lead to more run off, correct?  What are the temps at that time?

4 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Really looking like an ice storm or nothing. Really at this point just want a miracle and rain.

I'll take ice to a few inches of snow on the back end. 33 and rain does nothing for me but I can understand if you are worried about driving in the ice. Thursday PM commute may be a tricky one. 

7 minutes ago, dj3 said:

I'll take ice to a few inches of snow on the back end. 33 and rain does nothing for me but I can understand if you are worried about driving in the ice. Thursday PM commute may be a tricky one. 

Would guess that the warm air holds on long enough not to snarl the PM commute, but people drive like idiots in rain too.

• Haha 1

Just now, TimB84 said:

Would guess that the warm air holds on long enough not to snarl the PM commute, but people drive like idiots in rain too.

Yea that agrees with the NWS point and click forecast too. GFS is the earliest with the changeover it looks like. This will be a tricky forecast for sure. 

3 minutes ago, dj3 said:

Yea that agrees with the NWS point and click forecast too. GFS is the earliest with the changeover it looks like. This will be a tricky forecast for sure. 

HRRR has 33-34 and rain in and around the city through at least 6pm tomorrow, while a steady freezing rain falls all day near the airport.

So I compared when the 2M temperatures fell below 32 on the 6z GFS to 6z Euro, both have it through Allegheny County by 00z Friday (7PM Thursday) with about .75 - 1 inch of qpf over the next 24 hours afterwards. NAM is similar but about 6 hours slower. That's going to be my benchmark for comparing whether we see the front slow down more. Euro has been speeding it up and GFS slowing it down, but they are both about the same so that might have just been the goalposts narrowing.

The frustrating part is the front makes decent progress, then gets hung up right before it passes through Allegheny county Thursday afternoon. I think if that second wave slows down the front probably clears sooner. The upper levels are really going to come down to nowcast time, using the surface freezing temperature as a benchmark to see how this is trending should give some insight.

8 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

HRRR has 33-34 and rain in and around the city through at least 6pm tomorrow, while a steady freezing rain falls all day near the airport.

4 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Actually that HRRR run is an unmitigated disaster. Upwards of an inch of zr in a band from the airport through Wexford.

If i had to take a guess at it, I would think the line of ZR is further north and west. The warm advection always wins around here. If the GFS is realized, then maybe we are looking a little rougher for the ZR in the metro. 

4 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

If i had to take a guess at it, I would think the line of ZR is further north and west. The warm advection always wins around here. If the GFS is realized, then maybe we are looking a little rougher for the ZR in the metro. 

Oh for sure, warm advection will push the rain line further north than modeled 9 times out of 10, and even if this is that rare exception, I suppose ice totals would be reduced by the fact that some of the event is occurring during the day with temps close to freezing and ground temperatures probably above freezing in many instances.