Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

Just now, TheClimateChanger said:

No, I don't think the ice forecast changed. Still shows the highest totals of 0.25"+ for the immediate metro but tops out at 0.3" in the W. Va. panhandle. I just used the 0.2-0.3" as a general range for the broader region.

Most Likely Ice Accumulation

0.25”+ is red. I don’t see any red on that map.

4 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

That’s significantly less bullish than they were on the ice potential earlier. The previous package had over a quarter inch for much of the metro.

They’ve also updated the zones to include a lot more mix during the day Thursday.

I’m not sure I understand that though. If we do drop temps below freezing say mid afternoon Thursday there is going to be like 1-1.5 inches of frozen precip so .3 ice, 3 inches of snow, and 8 inches of sleet is what they are banking on? It has to fall as SOMETHING

1 minute ago, TimB84 said:

0.25”+ is red. I don’t see any red on that map.

Sorry, I edited my reply. I was still viewing the old map. Refreshed to the new one when I posted.

My edit:

Actually they just changed it. I was wrong. Now they show generally less than a tenth of inch of icing. I had to refresh my browser for the new map.

Ground is still frozen under all this snow up in Butler.  Whatever melts between now, during the rain, likely won't be enough to warm up a lot of the surfaces.  WAA means clouds so the sun won't be out to really warm up manmade surfaces either.  Wonder if the freezing rain is going to readily accumulate everywhere.

2 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Ok that makes more sense.

Yeah, sleet is like 3:1, maybe 4:1. Would take a full inch of precipitation to lay down 3" of sleet. I will say normally when we get sleet, there is at least some mangled snowflakes mixed in. And perhaps the occasional changeover to heavy, wet snow with dynamic cooling of the column during periods of heavier precipitation. So we could get a bit more accumulation than the models are showing. It seems the Pivotal algorithms are set up to completely discard mixed precipitation as snowfall, which is why it keeps showing the razor sharp cutoff from 12+ to little or nothing.

Its the dead of winter. 

2 minutes ago, donyewest said:

Ground is still frozen under all this snow up in Butler.  Whatever melts between now, during the rain, likely won't be enough to warm up a lot of the surfaces.  WAA means clouds so the sun won't be out to really warm up manmade surfaces either.  Wonder if the freezing rain is going to readily accumulate everywhere.

Its the dead of winter. Won't have any issues with it not icing up. Especially if its light precip.

The book has been closed on January. Coldest January (5.2 degrees below normal) since 2014. Snowiest January since 2011. At least a trace of snow on 23 days, measurable snow on 13 days. There were 20 days that didn’t get above freezing. Finished the month with 15 consecutive days of snow cover. About as good as it can get if you ask me.

• Like 3

Posting this not as a snowfall map, but to show just how much sleet would be possible on the NAM. This map shows all precipitation falling as sleet and snow as 10:1, so that means about 1.8" of precipitation is to fall as snow or sleet - almost all of which falls as sleet. Using a more realistic 3:1 or 4:1 ratio for sleet would mean 5.4-7.2" of sleet... :raining:

image.thumb.png.45c1304a9bdcb9a275c6ae26c38e501c.png

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

GFS looking very similar to 6z thru 48hr

Yeah comparing hour to hour vs previous run it's maybe ever so slightly colder / faster with the cold push but for someone that's going to make a big difference.

I hope we can get like the Canadian and Euro to get closer to the GFS, that would instill a lot of confidence that this is turning the right way. At least the NAM is making the move.

5 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

I weenied out a bit and looked at the soundings for my backyard (Cranberry). It was right on pivotals sleet line, but the soundings never went above freezing at any level. I’d love to see another model join the GFS though. Getting real close to something nice for northern AGC and points N.

Wouldn't it be nice for the cold air to win out and come in faster than modeled like what usually happens to us with the warm nose? If it's going to happen this is probably the type of setup to do it with a strong arctic boundary pressing and a decent 1040+ high in a good position to the north. I'd feel better being west / north of the city right now but I wouldn't be too upset over 2-4 inches of sleet either, that is something pretty unusual. One can hope. Sure looks like your move is paying off this winter eh? :snowing:

• Like 2

Just now, TheClimateChanger said:

Unfortunately, the short-term Canadian model still wants to send this storm up to, well, Canada:

snku_acc.us_ne.png

Probably also means the Canadian won't be making any big jumps towards the GFS. Man, what a battle, something is going bust pretty badly and I hope it's not the one that gives us the most snow. :unsure:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Probably also means the Canadian won't be making any big jumps towards the GFS. Man, what a battle, something is going bust pretty badly and I hope it's not the one that gives us the most snow. :unsure:

It looks like a slight NW shift on the Canadian but we can’t really afford anything in that direction.