Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

Just now, Rd9108 said:

It happens but crying about every miss to the south east or NW isn't helping. We will eventually get a great memorable storm but it's very difficult for everything to line up perfectly for our area. 1950 redux could be lurking around the corner. 

I don’t need a 1950 storm. I’d like more than one storm in the last 12 years that we didn’t look at models two days out and get half of what is expected. The only recent one I remember is last years December storm. Almost everything else had underperformed.

13 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Our climate is nowhere near as bad as it’s been recently. Until the storm last year we had only a few  6+ inch storm even in the previous 10 years. 

We've been above our average each year for most of the last decade. Our average snowfall actually went up after 2010-2019. We had a top 5 storm all time to start the decade and another 10" storm in there. Numerous 6-10" and a lot of 4-6" also. This decade we've already had a 10" storm and a 9" storm. This is exactly our climo and even exceeding it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dj3 said:

That had to be a toss run just looks really wonky. 3k not finished yet but looks better 

Thats what I am saying. The NAM run just looked strange. 

The interesting thing about the 00z so far (and it has trended this way a little today) is that the storm appears more amped. Yesterday we saw a flattening of the system as a whole and today that ridge is popping just a little bit more. Interested to see what the other models do with that.

2 minutes ago, SteelCity87 said:

We've been above our average each year for most of the last decade. Our average snowfall actually went up after 2010-2019. We had a top 5 storm all time to start the decade and another 10" storm in there. Numerous 6-10" and a lot of 4-6" also. This is exactly our climo and even exceeding it. 

Whatever, I’m done arguing. Our winters have been crap for ably a decade with one good storm in that time. 

but hey, if you’re happy with a storm given 7 inches, dry slotting, and mixing when we were expected to get a foot more power to you.

1 minute ago, KPITSnow said:

Whatever, I’m done arguing. Our winters have been crap for ably a decade with one good storm in that time. 

but hey, if you’re happy with a storm given 7 inches, dry slotting, and mixing when we were expected to get a foot more power to you.

So, winter 13-14, 14-15, 17-18, 20-21 were crap?  There were some bad and average, but nearly have were great.  What do you want?

Just now, KPITSnow said:

Nah. You guys just go looking for it. Everyone melted this afternoon and you all decided to pile on me.

No way. All we are asking for is a little positive energy. No wishcasting, but some good positive vibes. We all understand the challenges for winter weather in this area. It is what it is. Lets enjoy the ride and laugh along the way

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TimB84 said:

Maybe, but even the text of the watch is now 3-5” of snow with up to a tenth of ice. That’s advisory level and not watch or warning worthy no matter how you slice it.

I think they keep it there because of the uncertainty in the forecast. We are talking about the FZR line at the edge of the county. Close call and a tough call

5 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

3K also has it significantly further south than the NAM --> At least so far in the run. Still waiting for it to run its course.

It’s also south/east and earlier with freezing line pushing through compared to the 18z run. All I need to ignore the 12k run is the fact that hour 54 essentially has no precipitation anywhere in PA compared to its previous run where the entire state was engulfed. 

The nam often seems super inconsistent and jumpy to me. Don’t get me wrong I’d rather it show a big hit for us but I don’t think it should be weighted the same as the gfs or euro.

15 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Wouldn’t the WSW be because of the ice putting up to that level, beyond the snow.

Winter Storm Watch: [WS.A]

• Potential for a blizzard, heavy snowfall, or ice storm within the next 18 to 48 hours. Issued when there is a 50% confidence or greater of at least 6 inches of snow over 12 hours, or at least 8 inches of snow over 24 hours, and/or a ¼ inch of ice.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Winter Storm Watch: [WS.A]

• Potential for a blizzard, heavy snowfall, or ice storm within the next 18 to 48 hours. Issued when there is a 50% confidence or greater of at least 6 inches of snow over 12 hours, or at least 8 inches of snow over 24 hours, and/or a ¼ inch of ice.

3-5” of snow and up to 0.1” of ice both would seem to fall well short.