Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

1 minute ago, dj3 said:

We already have some patients calling and cancelling tomorrow morning. Can't say I'm really surprised based on the timing of the Winter Storm Warning even though impact should be later on as you stated. I'm probably in wait and see mode about leaving/closing early tomorrow. 

yeah same here the HRRR at 18z looks colder and icier. If by tomorrow it looks like we will torch and avoid the ice then I'll stay at work. 

3 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

This HRRR run is a pretty drastic change, would you agree? I’m only out to hr 32 but I’m thinking it shows a decent snow ending.

I would say it shifted a good bit south. The 12z run had basically no snow through daybreak Friday, this one has a warning level snow. And the lack of zr, while good, is a massive change.

• Like 1

Just now, TimB84 said:

I would say it shifted a good bit south. The 12z run had basically no snow through daybreak Friday, this one has a warning level snow. And the lack of zr, while good, is a massive change.

Yeah I was going to say…I didn’t think the other long range hrrr runs had basically any snow.

Just now, Rd9108 said:

yeah same here the HRRR at 18z looks colder and icier. If by tomorrow it looks like we will torch and avoid the ice then I'll stay at work. 

It seems to be shaping up to be such a tough forecast. With Allegheny county being the battle zone (again lol) I could see a scenario where I leave work west of the city with icing and by the time I get home I'm sitting in 33 and rain for another a few hours. Tomorrow night seems dicey so I certainly don't envy you if you do end up working. Hope things are safe either way for you. 

11 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Not for western areas.  The airport would be looking at nearly .5" of freezing rain, while eastern Allegheny Co. maybe nothing.

Just now, Ahoff said:

Not for western areas.  The airport would be looking at nearly .5" of freezing rain, while eastern Allegheny Co. maybe nothing.

Prior run had the airport looking at well over an inch. But point taken, relative “lack”. There is zr in the areas you mentioned.

Just now, Burghblizz said:

NAM slightly colder and also develops another wave.

Taken literally, the city is in icy hell in between, but dropped the bigger closer from the north, and then developed that other band of 3-4” snows south

Just keeping trending south and we'll be on the good side.  Let's hope it's the start of a trend.

5 minutes ago, dj3 said:

When was our last significant ice storm? Was it late 90's? I can maybe recall losing power once over ice but I feel like big ice is rare for us. 

When we first moved to PA in Nov 2018, just started to unpack and lost power because of the ice storm for 12 hours.  I thought the power infra would be more resistant to winter weather because the area deals with it all the time, haha, I was wrong.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, donyewest said:

When we first moved to PA in Nov 2018, just started to unpack and lost power because of the ice storm for 12 hours.  I thought the power infra would be more resistant to winter weather because the area deals with it all the time, haha, I was wrong.

There definitely is a good chunk of the area that has a combination of trees and above ground lines - not a great combo. But severe ice storms aren’t too frequent thankfully.