• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

Don't do this people. 48 hours ago we were talking about all rain. Now that we're in the short term models, everyone getting their hopes up.

We all know that this ends with certain members calling it a bust because we didn't see double digits because some models went wonky close to the event.

Don't do this people. 48 hours ago we were talking about all rain. Now that we're in the short term models, everyone getting their hopes up.
We all know that this ends with certain members calling it a bust because we didn't see double digits because some models went wonky close to the event.

My hopes are not up lol. Totally expecting 1-2” of backend snow.

10 minutes ago, Gordo74 said:

Honestly, I feel like with winter storms. If you are expecting snow 24+ hours out. You end up disappointed. 

2 hours ago, MikeB_01 said:

My hopes are not up lol. Totally expecting 1-2” of backend snow.

Same, I've got a pretty low bar set mentally given my location. Thinking maybe an inch or 2 some ice and a lot of rain. Those ice maps are way overdone, that's not to say even a glaze of ice is anything to sneeze at and no doubt somewhere to the west probably gets it bad. I was really hoping to get another 50-100 mile push on the boundary and get a sleet bomb, would have been alot more interesting.

At least with a low bar it's easy to be pleasantly surprised if it turn out better.

13 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Still rain in most of the county by 8 tomorrow on the HRRR. 

it literally looks like the front gets to western Allegheny county and stalls for nearly 12 hours.

I'm old enough to remember when some of the models were depicting that razor thin dropoff over Lake Erie (Canadian, ahem).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

HRRR is getting up into crazy territory in northeast Ohio. When was the last time Canton and Youngstown had 16 inches or more? March '93 Superstorm?

I have to think they have had some since then (seems as though they have cashed in on a lot of our snow over the years)

But fair thought - our storms since that got close or over that (‘94, ‘96, ‘03, ‘10) were considerably lighter there. 

6 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

I have to think they have had some since then (seems as though they have cashed in on a lot of our snow over the years)

But fair thought - our storms since that got close or over that (‘94, ‘96, ‘03, ‘10) were considerably lighter there. 

The 11.9 on 1/16-17 was the biggest storm since December 2010 at YNG airport. Still hasn't been a foot storm there since then. I don't know what was going on in December 2010 but they were reporting crazy, inflated snow totals. I don't recall any storms between 1993 and 2009 that would have reached 16" when I lived there. A foot was generally the top.

1 hour ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Looks like they are fine tuning some details. The warning still says 1-3 inches for entire PIT metro, but the zone area forecast for Butler shows 4-6 now, Beaver 3-5 & Allegheny 1-2.

Point being, 1-2 with up to a tenth of ice is definitively advisory stuff and we should anticipate a downgrade this evening.