Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

2 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Just for fun at this point, but this is an incredible GFS run. Snowstorm, Arctic outbreak, rinse and repeat. We have 27” piled up through hour 300, parts of SW Ohio are pushing 4 feet.

Modeled snow depth at hour 300:

snod.us_ne.png

Parts of SW Ohio buried under 40" of snow. Yeah, I'm thinking that's not going to be happening. :o

6 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

frzrfram_024h_mean.ma.f04800.png

Everything I've seen the FRAM method is way more accurate (still not perfect) in forecasting ice accretion so I'm glad you posted a map that's utilizing that.

If anyone needs any bed time reading, here is agreat article on the science of freezing rain: https://journals.ametsoc.org/view/journals/wefo/31/4/waf-d-15-0118_1.xml

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Curious as to what the NWS does as far as advisories and warnings. NWS CLE went with an advisory in its far SE counties, but the current forecasts call for around a quarter of inch or more of ice in parts of PBZ's warning area. Could see the advisory get sandwiched in between warnings, perhaps PBZ ends up going with an advisory in its northernmost east Ohio counties to kind of line up with that and then warnings further south where the more substantial ice is expected.

It looks probable that everywhere not in the watch will get a WWA for the possibility of a glaze to a tenth of an inch of icing. The current watch area is the wildcard. Probably warning level on snowfall for I-80 area, and for icing in parts of East Ohio, the West Virginia panhandle and possibly parts of SW PA. May be a zone of advisories in between where neither snow, nor ice would warrant a warning?

14 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Curious as to what the NWS does as far as advisories and warnings. NWS CLE went with an advisory in its far SE counties, but the current forecasts call for around a quarter of inch or more of ice in parts of PBZ's warning area. Could see the advisory get sandwiched in between warnings, perhaps PBZ ends up going with an advisory in its northernmost east Ohio counties to kind of line up with that and then warnings further south where the more substantial ice is expected.

It looks probable that everywhere not in the watch will get a WWA for the possibility of a glaze to a tenth of an inch of icing. The current watch area is the wildcard. Probably warning level on snowfall for I-80 area, and for icing in parts of East Ohio, the West Virginia panhandle and possibly parts of SW PA. May be a zone of advisories in between where neither snow, nor ice would warrant a warning?

That's my guess, maybe a band 2 -3 counties wide in OH where snow and ice totals due to sleet both fall under criteria for a warning. I agree advisories get extended east to areas that currently have nothing.

9 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Regardless of how much ice snow sleet we get exactly. It is looking highly likely that tomorrow night people should stay indoors.

I am exceptionally worried about essentially being stuck at work. I work till about 430 and while I know I can get in fine I’m concerned about getting home.

WSW up in Allegheny Co.

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM THURSDAY TO 10 AM EST
FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation expected. Total snow and sleet
accumulations between 1 and 3 inches. Ice accumulations between
one tenth and three tenths of an inch.

* WHERE...Portions of east central Ohio. Portions of southwest and
western Pennsylvania. Portions of northern and the northern
panhandle of West Virginia.

* WHEN...From 4 AM Thursday to 10 AM EST Friday.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food, and water in
your vehicle in case of an emergency. Road conditions can be found
by visiting your states Department of Transportation website.

&&

6 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I am exceptionally worried about essentially being stuck at work. I work till about 430 and while I know I can get in fine I’m concerned about getting home.

If you have to be stuck somewhere, I’d suggest it be anywhere but work.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, donyewest said:

Yuck.  The text of the WSW means it isn't really being issued because of snow (no >6" in 12hr)... >0.25" of freezing rain then?

Yes. On the plus side, at least it's kind of a marginal warning. Doesn't look like they expect widespread 0.25"+ ice accretion given the range (0.1-0.3"), so there might be some isolated power issues but it doesn't look it's going to be a massive ice storm.

Let's hope the NWS forecasts pans out, and some of the higher modeled totals do not occur.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Draw a line from City of Pittsburgh to Clarion, the further North / West you go will be rapidly increasing impacts. South and East of that line rapidly decreasing impacts. That's my take based on looking at all the 6z data / 12z NAM. Still almost 36 hours until we get into the part of the storm we are all interested in, so any minor adjustments one way or the other will have big influence on sensible weather. Slower / Less amped look of that wave is what we want, but the trends have been slightly in the opposite direction on the GFS / NAM so lots of stuff to track / analyze.

The front really slows down as I mentioned before, and there is some warm nose influence as the freezing line even bumps NW a little bit. Looks like the counties NWS has highlighted in the watch currently is a good call although I could see an expansion eastward with advisories. Most counties currently in the watch would hit warning criteria based on freezing rain.

I think there will be last minute shifts that will drive us nut - But this is the accurate story to me as well.

Since I’m a bit NW of that line, hoping for more snow. Certainly support for 6”+ N of the city - just TBD if that starts at 5 miles or 50 miles. 

We’d be in better shape if we get a little more eastern progression before the main wave comes and tries to advect warm air. 

21 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I’m probably calling off. I’m not about to have it start icing up around noon and wrecking going home. 

snow is one thing but ice I won’t ever mess with.

I still think any travel issues around the city wont be to at least 6pm - 7pm. I'm by no means an expert though so do what you gotta do. I'm fortunate enough I'll be able monitor obs tomorrow and if it looks like things might get icy sooner I can head out early. Might just be easier for some to not go in verse to trying and leave early. Friday morning commute should certainly be the main problem time as we should be in the lower 20s by then and precipitation still coming down, of what form who knows lol.

Guess who is probably taking off tomorrow night.... Yeah I really don't want to deal with accidents all over the city again. Last time we got snow and ice I fell on back and we had to shovel, salt, and break the ice off the street to get cars out of the James Street parking garage. HRRR looks way colder fwiw 

1 minute ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

I still think any travel issues around the city wont be to at least 6pm - 7pm. I'm by no means an expert though so do what you gotta do. I'm fortunate enough I'll be able monitor obs tomorrow and if it looks like things might get icy sooner I can head out early. Might just be easier for some to not go in verse to trying and leave early. Friday morning commute should certainly be the main problem time as we should be in the lower 20s by then and precipitation still coming down, of what form who knows lol.

We already have some patients calling and cancelling tomorrow morning. Can't say I'm really surprised based on the timing of the Winter Storm Warning even though impact should be later on as you stated. I'm probably in wait and see mode about leaving/closing early tomorrow.