• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021

MJO812

Don't know if many are familiar with the ecmwf cluster analysis. It's UK centric, so not much use with the Pacific. However, you can still see what's happening locally. So there was one cluster on the 00z eps. Granted, a minority of the members, but nevertheless there was something mixed in there. Is it a longshot, absolutely, but it's not totally 0% yet. 

Screenshot_20211212-130012_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cd84d555b836a175c6a08e09aaac4368.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Terrible performance for the last storm.  

I feel good about our 1st snow threat around Christmas ( give or take a few days)

Anything too amped will cut in this pattern leading up to Christmas. A system that is too weak will get sheared out and suppressed by the fast Pacific flow. Thread the needle will be a challenge for us but easier in New England. But any snow here at all is a big win in such a hostile Pacific pattern.

• Like 3

not sure why there’s so much doom and gloom with this kind of blocking showing up but I suppose you’ll always be disappointed if you want a perfect pattern

A481529D-0060-4875-A0CC-E78CD455BBAD.thumb.png.76a7fc586ae745f6a0ec7fb182731e6f.png

also some of the goalposts have been shifted in here a bit. first, it’s “there’s gonna be a +AO/+NAO/-PNA” now it’s “the -PNA is solely going to ruin the pattern” when blocking like that does have the ability to overwhelm otherwise unfavorable pattern

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

This really isn't bad.. the -PNA it seems reaches up to pour into -WPO and -EPO regions, with a big -NAO, and I think the cycle become wetter this could be a fun time unless it trends back. 

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/fxg1/ENSHGTAVGNH_12z/ensloopmref.html

By 384hr, that's a really solid-NAO, and -WPO seems to be pinching off

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

not sure why there’s so much doom and gloom with this kind of blocking showing up but I suppose you’ll always be disappointed if you want a perfect pattern

A481529D-0060-4875-A0CC-E78CD455BBAD.thumb.png.76a7fc586ae745f6a0ec7fb182731e6f.png

also some of the goalposts have been shifted in here a bit. first, it’s “there’s gonna be a +AO/+NAO/-PNA” now it’s “the -PNA is solely going to ruin the pattern” when blocking like that does have the ability to overwhelm otherwise unfavorable pattern

RNA pattern, looks good for New England.  Blocking also will likely disappear as we move forward in time 

• Weenie 4

44 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

You have to realize that the discussion we are having is about the pattern leading up to Christmas. Not sure what you mean by changing goalposts.The post Christmas pattern potential has been discussed here at length. The hope has always been that the Pacific can relax enough to flatten out the SE Ridge. Getting a MJO closer to phase 8 with a +AAM could be helpful. So try going back and reading more before you leave a snarky quick post telling us how we are all gloom and doom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, binbisso said:

From Webb

'PNA/-NAO patterns like this can often look deceptively warm in the extended b/c of the SE US ridge at 500mb. However, they're notorious for sneaky backdoor cold fronts & cold air damming along the eastern seaboard, that usually doesn't show up until we're in the medium range.

image.png

models have been flip flopping and unreliable past day 3 -5 for weeks now at least - we won't have a handle on the week leading up to Christmas till later this week IMO....also all those calls from the usual suspects in their winter outlooks for a fast start to winter here was a mistake.........

• Like 2

I believe we've had negative PNA patterns and above normal snowfall here.  When other indices are favorable I believe a negative PNA can add to the potential for snowfall here (many SW in the flow) especially  indices like the AO/NAO.  It's extremely hard to get the perfect pattern at 500mb  But the pattern starting from around December 20th onwards looks serviceable

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ecovers94 said:

Popping in to ask: What is happening with overnight lows that it has yet to go below 31 degrees... even in 2015 we had that happen? Why can’t it happen? What is going on? It's bizarre and kind of concerning.

The Anthropogenic warming signal is so strong now that it's showing up in overnight temperature minimums.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rjay said:

What pattern?  If anyone is ignoring the pattern on the models, it's you.  Just peeking at the ensembles the geps and gefs still have a west coast trough and se ridge at 300+ hrs.  The eps looks a bit chilly at day 10 but a wc trough is about to set up which will pump the se ridge.  

Here come the “it’s only warm aloft” posts. The severely -PNA full latitude trough in the west, as depicted is a huge problem. It’s a cutter pattern through and through and I don’t care what the abysmally awful GFS shows, there’s no way to sugar coat that look in the long range…huge -PNA and strong SE ridge city, not only that, the blazing SSTs along and off the east coast just act to sustain and positively feedback into that SE ridge and the WAR. Once you get any kind of thunderstorm blowup in the SE, it’s only going to act to pump the SE ridge even more. The pattern depicted in the long range is not anything close to arctic cold or a KU pattern for us

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Here come the “it’s only warm aloft” posts. The severely -PNA full latitude trough in the west, as depicted is a huge problem. It’s a cutter pattern through and through and I don’t care what the abysmally awful GFS shows, there’s no way to sugar coat that look in the long range…huge -PNA and strong SE ridge city, not only that, the blazing SSTs along and off the east coast just act to sustain and positively feedback into that SE ridge and the WAR. Once you get any kind of thunderstorm blowup in the SE, it’s only going to act to pump the SE ridge even more. The pattern depicted in the long range is not anything close to arctic cold or a KU pattern for us

Who is looking for a KU? The pattern depicted after next week will be conducive for snow. 

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

33 minutes ago, binbisso said:

I believe we've had negative PNA patterns and above normal snowfall here.  When other indices are favorable I believe a negative PNA can add to the potential for snowfall here (many SW in the flow) especially  indices like the AO/NAO.  It's extremely hard to get the perfect pattern at 500mb  But the pattern starting from around December 20th onwards looks serviceable

Agree

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

The Anthropogenic warming signal is so strong now that it's showing up in overnight temperature minimums.

There must be something specific here,  short-term climactically, because it's been colder in Europe so far this winter. I'm wondering what this is

41 minutes ago, binbisso said:

From Webb

'PNA/-NAO patterns like this can often look deceptively warm in the extended b/c of the SE US ridge at 500mb. However, they're notorious for sneaky backdoor cold fronts & cold air damming along the eastern seaboard, that usually doesn't show up until we're in the medium range.

image.png

That’s a cutter pattern not an east coast snowstorm pattern

• Weenie 2

1 hour ago, brooklynwx99 said:

Snowman19 should get banned for laughing at a meteorologist's post. 

It's the same people trolling every winter

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Snowman19 should get banned for laughing at a meteorologist's post. 

It's the same people trolling every winter

You are going to get cutters with a full latitude -PNA trough in the west and a SE ridge. Keep following the wish casters and believe that a huge cold and snowstorm pattern is inbound. It’s hilarious

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 4