Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021

MJO812

17 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

The western trough will be a problem until wavelengths change.

Wouldn't be surprised if March ends up as the coldest/snowiest month. 

Yes thats when wavelengths shorten and you can realistically have troughs on both coasts.  This happened in the 50s too and has been happening as of late (along with more east coast TC landfalls just like we had back then.)  But the point which still holds is if March is your snowiest month then you haven't had a very good snowfall season.  We can still be above average with snowfall but definitely not blockbuster.  Which is fine, I think most would settle for 30" or even slightly less than that.  Anything more would be a bonus, not impossible but not very likely (1955-56 is an example of that as is 2017-18.)

• Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

It seems though if we could just nail that December snowfall forecast (the 3" marker you mentioned) we could at least make a pretty safe bet on whether the winter will be plus or minus snowfall wise.....let's for the sake of simplicity say average NYC snowfall is 30".....do you think it's a safe bet if we just use that one data point and project snowfall for NYC for an entire season just based on December we could say IF snowfall at NYC in December is less than 3" seasonal snowfall will be less than 30" IF snowfall at NYC in December is more than 3" seasonal snowfall will be more than 30"?  Maybe we could make the forecast around Thanksgiving which would maximize its accuracy and come up with a list of analogs around that time?

The 3” snowfall marker for December in NYC has only worked with La Niña winters since they are supposed to be front-loaded. It’s not something we can us use in El Niño’s since they usually are back-loaded. But since this year we are getting a February strong -PNA pattern in December, it may or may not be valid. If we can’t make it to 3” before the end of December, that would put us in the below normal category for what we have since the 1990s.  

• Like 1

Morning thoughts…

Today will be partly sunny, breezy, and noticeably cooler. High temperatures will likely reach the upper 40s and lower 50s in most of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 49°

Newark: 52°

Philadelphia: 51°

Normals:

New York City: 30-Year: 45.2°; 15-Year: 45.8°

Newark: 30-Year: 45.7°; 15-Year: 46.5°

Philadelphia: 30-Year: 46.9°; 15-Year: 47.7°

Milder air will begin to return tomorrow.

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

The western trough will be a problem until wavelengths change.

Wouldn't be surprised if March ends up as the coldest/snowiest month. 

Probably. However I am intrigued by the forecasted MJO, and the fact that we are not following a typical La Nina December. I can see a couple of periods before March where we see a few overrunning, changeover events leading to a close to, or normal snowfall winter. 19/20 ended up being fairly close to normal (just a few inches below) with a snowy March. I can see something similar this year.

Looks nothing like a ratter (aka 11/12).

5 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Probably. However I am intrigued by the forecasted MJO, and the fact that we are not following a typical La Nina December. I can see a couple of periods before March where we see a few overrunning, changeover events leading to a close to, or normal snowfall winter. 19/20 ended up being fairly close to normal (just a few inches below) with a snowy March. I can see something similar this year.

We will be fine with the forecasted nao and AO

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

I dont think there was any measureable snow March 2020

22 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

I'd be shocked if this year is even remotely close to something like 11-12. Tropical convection is night and day different from that year. It was stuck the Indian Ocean to Maritime Continent in 11-12. Which is god awful for winter prospects. Remember 19-20 winter? Turns out the ++IOD was a huge problem, in hindsight. 

• Thanks 2

Getting a favorable Pacific is more important for our area. New England can get by with a -EPO/-PNA/-NAO. But a -PNA trough over the West will push the gradient into New England. 
We will need to eventually flatten out that SE Ridge near the end of the month.

D42EBD99-271B-4344-8F6D-379D05C3444E.thumb.png.34d1c37d4f6d8a93b4e4e72503b54ae5.png
14FFE8E7-DD59-4A3A-A445-50A2C590D611.thumb.png.552fecc8af7cd9fbce81987384e64f54.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJO812 said:

LOL

You are ignoring the pattern on the models

What pattern?  If anyone is ignoring the pattern on the models, it's you.  Just peeking at the ensembles the geps and gefs still have a west coast trough and se ridge at 300+ hrs.  The eps looks a bit chilly at day 10 but a wc trough is about to set up which will pump the se ridge.  

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

21 minutes ago, Rjay said:

What pattern?  If anyone is ignoring the pattern on the models, it's you.  Just peeking at the ensembles the geps and gefs still have a west coast trough and se ridge at 300+ hrs.  The eps looks a bit chilly at day 10 but a wc trough is about to set up which will pump the se ridge.  

So the other people who think the pattern will get better are ignoring it? 

I have no clue what to tell you if you think this upcoming pattern will be shitty.

21 minutes ago, Rjay said:

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

So the other people who think the pattern will get better is ignoring it? LOL at you agreeing with Snowman. 

I have no clue what to tell you if you think this upcoming pattern will be shitty.

But you be you

1 minute ago, Stormlover74 said:

How much snow are you expecting in nyc in the next 3 weeks?

Good early afternoon all. No matter what happens, I still hope Karen can get Frosty to the North Pole in time. As always …..

9 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

So the other people who think the pattern will get better are ignoring it? 

I didn't say it won't get better.  I'm saying the ensembles still show a pattern that isn't good in their long range. 

41 minutes ago, Rjay said:

I am curious how the tri-state does in such a set-up. There must be a huge gradient between central Jersey, long island up to 84.

3 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

I am curious how the tri-state does in such a set-up. There must be a huge gradient between central Jersey, long island up to 84.

I think the gradient would be north of us but that isn't a detail anyone could really hone in on at this range.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, StormchaserChuck! said:

Yeah it's always going to be negative these days, we have a big Pacific drought, High pressure hitting somewhere over there. I think we can do well snowwise with a -NAO, seems we are due for more precip too. 

You'd need the -nao to press on the se ridge enough to put us on the "good side" of the gradient.  It's possible.  

We really need this wc trough to get out of there.  The stats for 6" or greater snowfalls for NYC in December into early January with a -pna are pretty clear.  It doesn't happen often.  

• Like 3