Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Dog walk in the Notch this afternoon.  RT 108 closure through the Notch is certainly an awesome spot around here.  You don't get to just easily wander through dramatic terrain like this in many places with just an afternoon stroll up a snowpacked road.  It's actually the same road we live off of, but miles away, which is fun to think about.  

2L8A2767-1-2.thumb.jpg.30a23251b1d15bfc80b884cba71d866e.jpg

2L8A2773-1-2.thumb.jpg.03b54d95f74efed195c1c2fa47176470.jpg

I always enjoyed hiking in there in winter to grab some drone shots.

First inch of snow this season at 1500' in Jackson! That's three days earlier than our first inch last year (12/5). Interestingly enough, my friend in North Conway is also reporting 1" of new snow this morning...which is 15 days earlier than the first inch in the valley last year! The Mount Washington Valley was really hosed last season with the first inch occurring on 12/17.

Looks like several more opportunities in the week ahead. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jculligan said:

First inch of snow this season at 1500' in Jackson! That's three days earlier than our first inch last year (12/5). Interestingly enough, my friend in North Conway is also reporting 1" of new snow this morning...which is 15 days earlier than the first inch in the valley last year! The Mount Washington Valley was really hosed last season with the first inch occurring on 12/17.

Looks like several more opportunities in the week ahead. Fingers crossed!

Nice!

Let's hope for some more synoptic events. I know upslope doesn't really work over there.

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Nice!

Let's hope for some more synoptic events. I know upslope doesn't really work over there.

Yeah, when I moved to this location I thought my elevation might help a little bit...but upslope is essentially absent here. Being in the immediate shadow of a range of 5000-6000' peaks with a southwest-northeast orientation pretty much squelches any opportunity. Last weekend was a tough pill to swallow as we were too warm for the synoptic portion of the event, then when temps finally tanked the event transitioned to purely upslope. We didn't even get a dusting last weekend.

Looks like Saturday is our next shot for at least a coating of snow, then the middle of next week probably holds the best potential in the near future. It's been tough to put too much stock in the models outside of 3-4 days so far this season, but the event next Wednesday has been pretty consistently flagged as a legitimate storm threat for at least a few days now.

35 minutes ago, jculligan said:

Yeah, when I moved to this location I thought my elevation might help a little bit...but upslope is essentially absent here. Being in the immediate shadow of a range of 5000-6000' peaks with a southwest-northeast orientation pretty much squelches any opportunity. Last weekend was a tough pill to swallow as we were too warm for the synoptic portion of the event, then when temps finally tanked the event transitioned to purely upslope. We didn't even get a dusting last weekend.

Looks like Saturday is our next shot for at least a coating of snow, then the middle of next week probably holds the best potential in the near future. It's been tough to put too much stock in the models outside of 3-4 days so far this season, but the event next Wednesday has been pretty consistently flagged as a legitimate storm threat for at least a few days now.

Having lived in the hill right next to you, I know exactly how you feel! But one thing I’ve learned is that the MWV area often doesn’t really get going till mid December. However, retention is fantastic and the shorter season is usually made up by a deeper snowpack than up here. But it depends on what you prefer. If you like to see snow falling frequently, then the upslope areas like Phin or I are the way to go. For a snowpack fetish you’re in a good place though, just gotta have patience!

And on that note, 0.75” this morning but the rain line is literally less than a mile from my house so it won’t be long before it’s here. 

Event totals: 0.5” Snow/0.03” L.E.

I’m glad I cleared all the boards well last night because we did get some front end snow from this next incoming system.  Temperatures were approaching freezing, so the snowpack was starting to get a bit wet as I was leaving this morning.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 16.7

Snow Density: 6.0% H2O

Temperature: 31.8 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 5.5 inches

Sounds more promising….

Taking a look at ensemble data for snow levels, our snow levels will
steadily rise to around 3000-3500 ft by this afternoon. This should
keep all precipitation at summit level across the spine of the Green
Mountains and northern Adirondacks as snow. Mid- mountain locations
don`t look as favorable as before and we have cut snowfall amounts
slightly but have kept the higher amounts at summit level at this
time. Once the cold front swings through, our snow levels drop to
sea level quite quickly with an arctic air mass quickly to displace
the warmer air mass seen this afternoon. A favorable upslope snow
shower regime should set up Thursday night into Friday morning with
the big winners being Jay Peak, portions of northern Vermont and the
northern Adirondacks. By midday Friday, we should lose enough
moisture that we will see these snow showers come to an end.

Event totals: 0.7” Snow/0.23” L.E.

Yesterday’s above-freezing temperatures consolidated the snowpack by a couple of inches, and it did pick up some liquid from the rainy period to create a much more sturdy, base-like consistency compared to what it was like ahead of this system.  The snow on the boards this morning was a mixture of granules and graupel, but we’re over to more typical flakes now with a substantial uptick in snowfall intensity when in bands as the radar suggests.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 29.5 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 3.5 inches

03DEC21A.gif.2833a8a24fb122acaaa69632445472b1.gif

CAD won out yesterday as the temp never reached freezing, though it may have done so during the overnight as some of the glaze is gone from the bare hardwoods.  (May be evaporating in the wind, too.)  Not often that my place stays 20°+ cooler than PWM.  CAA in full force atm, with the odd flake sailing by.

• Like 1

Yesterday's CAD allowed us to survive with almost no snow loss, so yesterday morning's 1" snowfall remains on the ground. The wind is something fierce this morning. Rooftop anemometers in a location as heavily wooded as mine are never accurate, but this morning's peak gust of 43 mph is actually higher than what I measured during the severe March wind storm which left me in the dark for two days. Since my anemometer isn't at the standard height, and I am surrounded by woods...I would estimate the wind gusts are substantially higher than what has actually been measured.

Currently 28F with a combination of sun and constant flurries.

• Like 2

Something to watch tomorrow afternoon and evening… models are showing the Winooski Valley squalls.  Or an axis of stronger snow showers.

The EURO lights up like 0.30” QPF in 6-hours near JSpin, Bolton, Mansfield.

The models definitely think something may come streaking through tomorrow late day.

B5DACD90-67F2-42CE-8F5F-075775450140.thumb.png.aee558d9015f417a366da819a42a489b.png

The NAM has a squall line with a 6” pixel literally over @J.Spin’s head.

24B3CBC0-F257-4B31-876F-D3158BE134DD.thumb.png.bfcc0a9603f02ad4ba8f56a2aae8ec05.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Something to watch tomorrow afternoon and evening… models are showing the Winooski Valley squalls.  Or an axis of stronger snow showers.

The EURO lights up like 0.30” QPF in 6-hours near JSpin, Bolton, Mansfield.

The models definitely think something may come streaking through tomorrow late day.

B5DACD90-67F2-42CE-8F5F-075775450140.thumb.png.aee558d9015f417a366da819a42a489b.png

The NAM has a squall line with a 6” pixel literally over @J.Spin’s head.

24B3CBC0-F257-4B31-876F-D3158BE134DD.thumb.png.bfcc0a9603f02ad4ba8f56a2aae8ec05.png

Thanks for the update PF – that should be fun to watch.  These bread and butter-style events are of course typically way up there in terms of reliability when modeled, relative to many other types of systems, but even then they still have their ups and downs in terms of magnitude.  That event went through an interesting period in the modeling where it seemed to weaken a lot, but it has made a resurgence in recent runs.  That is definitely one to watch because if it delivers enough L.E., that could set up some low and moderate angle powder turns down to lower elevations than the good snow might be at the moment.  This past system has been good for substantiating the base, but it seems like levels for maintaining snow quality were pretty far up there (~3,000’?).  This could help freshen up surfaces a bit lower if it delivers enough – it will definitely have a big impact on whether or not I try to head out for natural snow turns this weekend.