Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/0.50” L.E.

The back side of this system delivered a tenth of an inch here at our site, and I’d say the system is done because I haven’t seen any precipitation since then.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 29.7 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 1.0 inches

Pretty pathetic to have such lack of snowcover in NNE in December, but I would take it in a heart beat if we could trade it with a good pattern for the holidays. Interestingly this stuff used to stress me out to no end. Now that I know how long winter really is up here though, it seems ok. Even in a crap pattern we see more snow than most others do on a good year. Only thing that truly sucks is the delayed opening of the glades. But we wait…

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, alex said:

Pretty pathetic to have such lack of snowcover in NNE in December, but I would take it in a heart beat if we could trade it with a good pattern for the holidays. Interestingly this stuff used to stress me out to no end. Now that I know how long winter really is up here though, it seems ok. Even in a crap pattern we see more snow than most others do on a good year. Only thing that truly sucks is the delayed opening of the glades. But we wait…

Agreed on all counts. Last year I had a 6"+ snowcover from 12/5 through 12/23 only to see it all go in the obnoxious Christmas Eve cutter. That left us with bare ground for the entire stretch between Christmas and New Year's. I'd rather have the snowcover during the actual holiday stretch.

Light snow started here maybe 20 minutes ago. A dusting down so far. Anything more than 1.5" and this will be my biggest snowfall of the season so far. Bar has been set pretty low lol.

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/Trace L.E.

Light snow was falling this morning at observations time, with a tenth of an inch down on the boards.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 22.3 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 1.0 inches

Measured 2.2" at 4pm today and we haven't had much accumulation since, but it appears we are getting another burst now. Both the NAM and the Euro seem to indicate a more substantial burst beginning around 10pm tonight, so perhaps we can even approach 3" by the time all is said and done.

Looking ahead to the next event; starting to think there is potential for a significant glazing from the Mount Washington Valley east to tamarack's neighborhood Saturday morning. The raw freezing rain output on both the Euro and the Canadian are suggesting pockets of 0.50"+ which is usually overdone, but it looks like a nasty icy morning either way. I'll be down in Massachusetts tomorrow through Saturday, so I'll be fortunate to miss out on that...

1 hour ago, jculligan said:

Measured 2.2" at 4pm today and we haven't had much accumulation since, but it appears we are getting another burst now. Both the NAM and the Euro seem to indicate a more substantial burst beginning around 10pm tonight, so perhaps we can even approach 3" by the time all is said and done.

Looking ahead to the next event; starting to think there is potential for a significant glazing from the Mount Washington Valley east to tamarack's neighborhood Saturday morning. The raw freezing rain output on both the Euro and the Canadian are suggesting pockets of 0.50"+ which is usually overdone, but it looks like a nasty icy morning either way. I'll be down in Massachusetts tomorrow through Saturday, so I'll be fortunate to miss out on that...

I’ve never seen more freezing rain in my life than when I lived in Bartlett. It happened for almost every cutter 

25 minutes ago, alex said:

I’ve never seen more freezing rain in my life than when I lived in Bartlett. It happened for almost every cutter 

The cold air damming in that location is astonishing. While most populated areas in New Hampshire went into today's event with bare ground...there was still an inch or two of old snow on the ground in the Jackson, North Conway, Glen and Bartlett area since the low levels never quite mixed out in that location Monday night. If they went above freezing at all, it was only for a couple hours. Prior to today's event, it was weird driving from my place at 1500' which was completely bare down into the valley which remained white. I anticipate a similar situation this coming weekend.

15 minutes ago, alex said:

In the meantime, let’s grab some popcorn and enjoy the SNE crew squeal over 1 vs 1.5 inch. :lol: That’s like a hiker sneezing on the way up the mountain here. 

Sorry couldn’t help myself. I was one of them after all till a few years ago. 

Time for some NNE whiffs. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Been some decent flakes past few hours, first snow on the powdery side of the season.  Prob 2-2.5" with the unofficial eyeball measurement.

Can't help but laugh though at Saturdays forecast of 58F, wind and 1" of rain :lol:

This new stuff will evaporate quickly when it warms up, but I will say there’s been at least some snow cover for many of us the past couple weeks.  The sales team at Snow.Inc has had auto-replenish set to on with several light events that keep the ground white.

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This new stuff will evaporate quickly when it warms up, but I will say there’s been at least some snow cover for many of us the past couple weeks.  The sales team at Snow.Inc has had auto-replenish set to on with several light events that keep the ground white.

Yep, certainly not epic, but there has been that wintry vibe past few weeks, even down here. 

Town looks absolutely beautiful.  Just ripping big fluffy flakes.

I had another 2.25" overnight.  Total of 4" in two 12 hour periods but more like 3.5" on the ground with settling.

Standing wave right down Mountain Road with the steadiest snow in the village rather than the mountain oddly enough.  Pretty cool when we get these standing waves off Mansfield's Chin.  Just fluffing straight down in town.  Drive up the road was beautiful with fluff on every little twig it seemed like.

Dec_9b.gif.6d2301815895058e675766d967be8a85.gif

• Like 3

11 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Time for some NNE whiffs. 

Nasty  ;)
Especially after last winter when central/southern Maine snowfall compared to norms was the lowest in New England.

16 hours of near-constant S- produced 2.8" of 20:1 fluff.  Loaded firs against the bright blue sky is a welcome sight; hope this low-density stuff can survive next week.