• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

Decided to make the drive north today from SVT where its barely winter. My house this winter in west townshend is only at 800’ and it shows. A couple inches of slush. Things are only marginally better at Stratton. The winter line (real snow cover) starts about 30 miles north on 91. Hoping for some better conditions at the bush. 

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.04” L.E.

The BTV NWS says the snow from last night into this morning was from an upper-level shortwave tracking across the region, and it sounds like any additional snow through this morning can be attributed to that system.  As we get into the evening hours today, there’s the potential for a resurgence in snowfall, which looks like it would be attributed to a different shortwave.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 7.5

Snow Density: 13.3% H2O

Temperature: 32.5 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 5.0 inches

22 hours ago, qg_omega said:

That was the grinch, parts of upstate NY had 40 inches in one storm last December.  This one we had one storm for 6 to 8 inches two weeks ago and a few more of inch or so.  No real cold but a few radiational cooling nights and lots of clouds grey skies, inversions and temps in the 30s during the day

Grinch for sure!  We get Grinch events around Christmas in about 2/3 of our winters here, but 12/25/2020 stands alone for awfulness.

The 0.1" dusting gives this month 21 days with flakes, 13 with measurable snow.  If we get any frozen tomorrow, the 22 days would tie December 2007 for the most in any month as we enter my 24th winter here. 

12/07 had 46.2" 
12/21 has 13.7" so far. 
The month of midgets (and ZR)

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Will have to wait for PF to confirm but I have to think it's actually been a decent holiday week for the ski resorts.  No big snow dump but no big rainer or meltdown either and the temps have been pleasant for vacationers.  Seems like it's a million times better than last year.

Certainly the case here. Not a deep pack and only 1/3 of the groomers open, and glades only open for a day or two, but the combination of light snow most days and snow covered trees has made it feel nice and wintry - certainly a lot better than last year. Surprisingly though the ski area seems pretty empty, not nearly the crowds we usually see, even though people are here (we are sold out of homes)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Healthy shift to a more south and progressive solution on the NAM. Not far from a mostly snow event here.

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah that’s a good jump south.

I guess we’ll have to see where the modeling is going because we’re still ~36 hours or so out from the front end of the modeled system, but there seems to be a lot of potential in these recent runs.  The storm appears rather strung out, but areas on the snow side of the swath of precipitation that comes though could get a protracted period of snowfall.  The 18Z ICON is an example of how it would be snowing for almost a day and a half in northern areas around here.

11 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I guess we’ll have to see where the modeling is going because we’re still ~36 hours or so out from the front end of the modeled system, but there seems to be a lot of potential in these recent runs.  The storm appears rather strung out, but areas on the snow side of the swath of precipitation that comes though could get a protracted period of snowfall.  The 18Z ICON is an example of how it would be snowing for almost a day and a half in northern areas around here.

Yeah that’s a large move on the ICON. GFS keeps slipping south too. Good trends at 18z. Euro dump in the punch bowl time. LOL

Just now, NW_of_GYX said:

Been a tough stretch for them no doubt. This weekend has that look of one that teases us for another 24 hours that trends the wrong way at go time. 

Looks like we stay wedged for this now where it looked like a few days back we would end up with a loss, We take.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, dryslot said:

0.3" snow overnight, I don't even classify that as nickels and dimes, More like cents.

Another dusting here.  I had to stretch a bit to call yesterday's dusting a tenth, so today's lesser "dump" means the 2-day total is an honest 0.1".  22 days with frozen precip this month, 13 with measurable, and sill more than 5" BN.  At least the 8" pack is near average.

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/0.02” L.E.

I saw a bit of snow yesterday evening, and found a slushy tenth of an inch on the boards this morning from this most recent event.  There’s not really any snow in the forecast for today, so if that’s the last of the month, this December will finish off with 20.6” of total snow.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 5.0

Snow Density: 20.0% H2O

Temperature: 32.9 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 4.0 inches

Alexa just chirped up with an alert that we’ve been put under a Winter Weather Advisory starting at 7:00 P.M. tomorrow.  It looks like the advisory is for most of the BTV NWS coverage area.  I haven’t looked into any projected accumulations maps yet, but the advisory text itself suggests up to 4 inches of snow at this point.

31DEC21A.jpg.be0d115a8e1d9a00845f297426e114bd.jpg