Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,987
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Dankles
    Newest Member
    Dankles
    Joined

October Discussion: Bring the Frost-Hold the Snow


40/70 Benchmark
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Finished my run covered in little black flies. Time for a freeze to kill these little schitts. 

My only quibble with this month. I love these types of days but it would have been nice to sneak in a quick cold shot a week or two ago that kills the bugs. 

But otherwise let’s keep the party going. I got no use for 52/27 type days unless I’m doing yard cleanup or something. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think 10+ years ago I would be aggravated. But, this weather has been great. Plenty of mild days and cool nights for sleeping. I have not put the heat on yet, so a break in utilities is appreciated. It's great to continue the outdoor scene too. Great wx for hikes, BBQs, outdoor eating.....whatever. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I think 10+ years ago I would be aggravated. But, this weather has been great. Plenty of mild days and cool nights for sleeping. I have not put the heat on yet, so a break in utilities is appreciated. It's great to continue the outdoor scene too. Great wx for hikes, BBQs, outdoor eating.....whatever. 

I mean, all of our frigid autumns in the 1980s and early 1990s were the highlights of the cold season....winter would turn to shit just in time...lol. 

2000 was a good one though. Lasted right into winter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

My only quibble with this month. I love these types of days but it would have been nice to sneak in a quick cold shot a week or two ago that kills the bugs. 

But otherwise let’s keep the party going. I got no use for 52/27 type days unless I’m doing yard cleanup or something. 

Exactly. Sneak in a couple hard freezes and then torch on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I mean, all of our frigid autumns in the 1980s and early 1990s were the highlights of the cold season....winter would turn to shit just in time...lol. 

2000 was a good one though. Lasted right into winter. 

Once November comes, I'm ready. At that point the landscape looks dead anyways. I don't expect much, but first flakes are always exciting. Accumulations a bonus. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Once November comes, I'm ready. At that point the landscape looks dead anyways. I don't expect much, but first flakes are always exciting. Accumulations a bonus. 

Yeah bring it on after Veterans Day. Usually when I do my final yard cleanup. Once that is done I want the snow in here...but we have such a lagged climo in New England. 

Its amazing comparing to the some of intermountain west (esp further south like NV/UT/AZ) where November is colder than February in many spots. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Once November comes, I'm ready. At that point the landscape looks dead anyways. I don't expect much, but first flakes are always exciting. Accumulations a bonus. 

Not this year. The landscape will be thriving . Deep greens . Leaves and lawns . Not a frost or freeze in sight. From Phinny to Winny to Raymie, to Ginxy

  • Like 2
  • Weenie 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Not this year. The landscape will be thriving . Deep greens . Leaves and lawns . Not a frost or freeze in sight. From Phinny to Winny to Raymie, to Ginxy

We pray. It'd be epic if we can go Sep and Oct up here without hitting 32F. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

My only quibble with this month. I love these types of days but it would have been nice to sneak in a quick cold shot a week or two ago that kills the bugs. 

But otherwise let’s keep the party going. I got no use for 52/27 type days unless I’m doing yard cleanup or something. 

 

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I think 10+ years ago I would be aggravated. But, this weather has been great. Plenty of mild days and cool nights for sleeping. I have not put the heat on yet, so a break in utilities is appreciated. It's great to continue the outdoor scene too. Great wx for hikes, BBQs, outdoor eating.....whatever. 

What’s happened to us?  Agreed with both, it’s been right in the sweet spot for 7 weeks now of no utility payments or needs… no A/C and no heat.  Just lingering in that between… though I haven’t been home and the last few days might’ve required some heat for the first time.  Left the thermostat at 55F so I’m sure it’s not on with the place locked up and retaining warmth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

 

What’s happened to us?  Agreed with both, it’s been right in the sweet spot for 7 weeks now of no utility payments or needs… no A/C and no heat.  Just lingering in that between… though I haven’t been home and the last few days might’ve required some heat for the first time.  Left the thermostat at 55F so I’m sure it’s not on with the place locked up and retaining warmth.

Kids and Covid changed it lol. I just find life a lot easier with the warmer weather. Last winter was brutal on multiple ends for me. A big winter would certainly make things easy and fun though. We pray for that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Kids and Covid changed it lol. I just find life a lot easier with the warmer weather. Last winter was brutal on multiple ends for me. A big winter would certainly make things easy and fun though. We pray for that. 

Lol neither of those two things for me.  I just find myself in this zone where I want snow (would’ve hiked in the rain to get to snow the other day had I been home) but if it’s not going to snow I want nice weather.  Very spoiled or entitled way to look at it I guess… trying to avoid cold crappy weather.

Most of it comes I think from continuous obsession since being a kid of the western mountain climates.  It’s either nice and mild out with sunshine, or it’s snowing.  Even lately in October the mountain towns of UT/CO have been like 50s or 60s with sunshine, then it’s 28F and snowing 6”.  A day or two later it’s back to mild and sunny, before the next storm system rolls in and somehow it’s cold enough to snow.

You get this type of stuff out west.  Here it would go from highs in the mid-50s to rain, heavy at times in the 40s, lol. There with dry air and low wet bulbs it goes 55F then 28-32F with snow, heavy at times.

Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 30s. 
 
Increasing clouds. Highs in the mid 50s.
 
Snow. Snow may be heavy at times after midnight. Lows in the upper 20s. Chance of precipitation 90 percent.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I think 10+ years ago I would be aggravated. But, this weather has been great. Plenty of mild days and cool nights for sleeping. I have not put the heat on yet, so a break in utilities is appreciated. It's great to continue the outdoor scene too. Great wx for hikes, BBQs, outdoor eating.....whatever. 

No heat but put the a/c on last night lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...