• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Windspeed

4 hours ago, Floydbuster said:

I love Windspeed's input and we go back a long time, but I just realized he uses the acronym "PV" quite a bit.

4 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Now see I thought the acronym was for polar vortex...but I assumed it meant something else here, lol

That’s the only PV I recognize since there’s no such thing as winter on the east coast anymore :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

Someone I think might be a Juggalo was talking about taking his kids to chase in New Orleans and see a Cat 5.  Might be in the other thread  Grape Faygo or some such name.  That he has bred already is disappointing.

Blueberry faygo. It’s a hippity hop song for the youth 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, turtlehurricane said:

I’ve considered chasing this, but pretty sure my car would get destroyed, which is not worth it... 

I guess other chasers just get rental cars and trash them? I’m not willing to do that cause it’s against the Torah

Just drive better. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rvarookie said:

@WxWatcher007 you plan to chase this one?

Unfortunately I have a horribly timed family obligation I can’t get out of. It happens.

1 hour ago, turtlehurricane said:

I’ve considered chasing this, but pretty sure my car would get destroyed, which is not worth it... 

I guess other chasers just get rental cars and trash them? I’m not willing to do that cause it’s against the Torah

If you get a rental and the car gets trashed, it’s a bad trip. Hasn’t happened to me yet (knocks wood) but the closest I came was Florence when my hotel was surrounded by water. That said, because I planned ahead and was in a good spot, it was never really in danger. 

This is not directed at you but I’ve seen some posts here about chasing from what seem to be newbies and I’d just say chasing isn’t a getaway or low stress endeavor. It’s an extraordinary amount of work (if you’re doing it right) and can be very dangerous. I’d strongly advise any first timer to start with something less intense unless they plan to be much further inland where impacts will be reduced. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Unfortunately I have a horribly timed family obligation I can’t get out of. It happens.

If you get a rental and the car gets trashed, it’s a bad trip. Hasn’t happened to me yet (knocks wood) but the closest I came was Florence when my hotel was surrounded by water. That said, because I planned ahead and was in a good spot, it was never really in danger. 

This is not directed at you but I’ve seen some posts here about chasing from what seem to be newbies and I’d just say chasing isn’t a getaway or low stress endeavor. It’s an extraordinary amount of work (if you’re doing it right) and can be very dangerous. I’d strongly advise any first timer to start with something less intense unless they plan to be much further inland where impacts will be reduced. 

Some of us who live in Hurricane prone areas just chase at home. I expect one day I will be posting the moment by moment videos and pictures until we lose power and internet access.

I hope it is not Ida, but so far appears it will not be a Florida Gulf Coast storm. ;)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

No, it is not too early to start evacuation. We are 48 hours or less out from the impact of the storm, and it is wildly irresponsible for a met or pro broadcaster or whatever he is to poo poo this. 

It is always better to be safe than sorry.

Imagine the traffic jam tomorrow night if Ida stays on track and strengthens like the models predict. I wouldn't want to be in that. I'd prefer to be in one of the remaining hotel rooms that people who leave today can get lucky to check into to. ;)

2 minutes ago, Prospero said:

Some of us who live in Hurricane prone areas just chase at home. I expect one day I will be posting the moment by moment videos and pictures until we lose power and internet access.

I hope it is not Ida, but so far appears it will not be a Florida Gulf Coast storm. ;)

Always better to chase at home :lol: 

Unless it’s an EF-4 or Category 4 :mellow:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Always better to chase at home :lol: 

Unless it’s an EF-4 or Category 4 :mellow:

I will say I am usually up before dawn and am known to be one the first to drive around checking damage and storm surges.

Lucky to have a good friend and client who is a tree service guy. Our home is one of the first on his list for his predawn drive and a few times after storms we are texting at 5:00 am.

;)

• Like 1

A PRE may be setting up over SE LA ahead of Ida. The upper trough is increasing lapse rates with significant ice particles bring detected due to strong updrafts. 2-3"/hr rates is going to kickoff a big head start for inland and coast flooding for low lying areas well before Ida outer bands begin their impact.