Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe Weather Thread - New England

TalcottWx

13 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah Logan caught a decent gust but the data I saw looked isolated. I didn’t see a widespread issue from a geographical standpoint, but if it hits downtown everyone thinks the world ends.

As you know, it's all about location.  The storm that tore apart trees and crushed vehicles in Belgrade Village with gusts up to 90 (as per GYX investigators) produced little wind and 0.02" at my place 10 miles away.  The same system wrecked part of a friend's woodlot 50 miles east in Dixmont while a former co-worker a mile or 2 away had meh.

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

SPC sure does 

Going to depend on instability but right now it appears the best instability is just to our south. Even elevated instability up this way isn't super impressive. The dynamics are certainly quite impressive which will help keep convection going. If anything, eastern Mass/Cape might be the best spot to be.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

May see that Slight risk area trimmed south (maybe even see the southern portion of the risk area expanded south a bit) and I think we see the marginal area trimmed well south with the 1730z update

It looks to me like they bring it north based on triple point continuing coming north on models 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It looks to me like they bring it north based on triple point continuing coming north on models 

We never truly warm sector. The dynamics are there to help with storm organization but we are really lacking instability...sufficient instability. It's really difficult for us to maintain nocturnal severe potential without the presence of steep mid-level lapse rates or steepening mid-level lapse rates aided by CAA in the mid-levels. Our temperatures tomorrow barely get to 80 and our dewpoints probably only into the lower 60's (if that) so we are not going to generate much instability and any instability will quickly wane after sunset. We are going to need to see a significant bump north to have any severe potential here...especially for any talk of TOR potential. BL seems way too stable for that potential here. 

16 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

We never truly warm sector. The dynamics are there to help with storm organization but we are really lacking instability...sufficient instability. It's really difficult for us to maintain nocturnal severe potential without the presence of steep mid-level lapse rates or steepening mid-level lapse rates aided by CAA in the mid-levels. Our temperatures tomorrow barely get to 80 and our dewpoints probably only into the lower 60's (if that) so we are not going to generate much instability and any instability will quickly wane after sunset. We are going to need to see a significant bump north to have any severe potential here...especially for any talk of TOR potential. BL seems way too stable for that potential here. 

You don’t need surface based instability for nocturnal or early AM spinner threats or low topped wind damage stuff. The warm front lifts to about I-90 by Fri morning but the storms form along that as it moves north. With the front, increasing dews and low level spin, coupled with warm waters.. all ingredients are there. I’d be leaning for them to move the threat north by tomorrow morning update . 3k Nam looks great . SNE threat is after dark tomorrow night into wee hours of Fri

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You don’t need surface based instability for nocturnal or early AM spinner threats or low topped wind damage stuff. The warm front lifts to about I-90 by Fri morning but the storms form along that as it moves north. With the front, increasing dews and low level spin, coupled with warm waters.. all ingredients are there. I’d be leaning for them to move the threat north by tomorrow morning update . 3k Nam looks great . SNE threat is after dark tomorrow night into wee hours of Fri

You need sfc-based instability for any type of tornado threat. You don't necessarily need sfc-based instability for wind damage potential but you need llvl instability otherwise lack of instability can be more indicative of an inversion which limits downward transport. 

If we can get MUCAPE values > 1000-1500 J/KG and get decent CAPE in the hail growth zone the light show would be pretty great and there would be a risk for hail.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, radarman said:

was supposed to be camping on the elbow of the Cape tomorrow night... was kind of hoping for the 7/10 split but thinking we just have to eat the site fee and bag it. 

Considering how the cape has missed just about every rain event going back to last summer , you should go. Wagons will continue north 

19 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Looks like wagons south, though never really looked good for most of SNE. NYC/LI/S coast possibly

My sense is that it all winds up south with the MCS coming out of the Great Lakes tonight. 

But given the time of year (warm SSTs) will have to watch that screaming LLJ.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

My sense is that it all winds up south with the MCS coming out of the Great Lakes tonight. 

But given the time of year (warm SSTs) will have to watch that screaming LLJ.

Yeah,  the past few days most of the models were driving that MCS activity way southwest of us, that's usually the kiss of death