Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe Weather Thread - New England

TalcottWx

5 minutes ago, KoalaBeer said:

Doesn’t a 61mph gust literally fit in the definition of severe in the BOX forecast area? I didn’t have a single lightning strike by me but still gusted 50-55 in a crappy looking part of the line on radar. 

“A thunderstorm that produces a tornado, winds of at least 58 mph (50 knots or ~93 km/h), and/or hail at least 1" in diameter. Structural wind damage may imply the occurrence of a severe thunderstorm. A thunderstorm wind equal to or greater than 40 mph (35 knots or ~64 km/h) and/or hail of at least ½" is defined as approaching severe.”

Yeah Logan caught a decent gust but the data I saw looked isolated. I didn’t see a widespread issue from a geographical standpoint, but if it hits downtown everyone thinks the world ends.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah Logan caught a decent gust but the data I saw looked isolated. I didn’t see a widespread issue from a geographical standpoint, but if it hits downtown everyone thinks the world ends.

There is damage in like a dozen towns...... We have three separate reporters in three separate towns gathering a ton of damage I'm truly confused

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Fair enough. Definitely not impressive in terms of hail/lightning but I wasn’t expecting the wind, and I obviously respect your opinion as a met. Always hard to tell how localized the severe wind is with limited observations as well. Logan is pretty exposed and my apartment is as well. 

11 minutes ago, KoalaBeer said:

Fair enough. Definitely not impressive in terms of hail/lightning but I wasn’t expecting the wind, and I obviously respect your opinion as a met. Always hard to tell how localized the severe wind is with limited observations as well. Logan is pretty exposed and my apartment is as well. 

I admit it was decent near BOS specifically, but for metro area it wasn’t a huge deal. 

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I admit it was decent near BOS specifically, but for metro area it wasn’t a huge deal. 

A shame that there doesn't appear to be any quality control at Logan Airport. Multiple stations surrounding the airport (East Boston, Winthrop, North End) all indicate 0.6-1.0 inches of rain, and it certainly appeared to be the case given the conditions. 

"Official" Boston tally from Logan came in with 0.13 inches :blink:

8 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I mean if you want damage, the October derecho was epic. That is legit. Not some half eaten Norway maple falling on a Mercedes on Beacon St.

I have no desire to repeat October, hole in roof and multiple trees down. 

Was at my son's baseball game last night and they called it right as the winds whipped up and the infield kicked up. That was cool, but that was pretty much it, just heavy rain after that. I'll take the rain without the derecho, that October strom was intense. 

• Confused 1