• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Summer 2021

7 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

This July snowstorm in Canada could potentially top the seasonal snow total that DC received this entire past year! 

Not sure it matters in the big picture but think it is an August snow storm for the Eastern Side of Canada.  Did not notice when the northwest got their snow.  Dog days of august! 

11 hours ago, Jns2183 said:

I can’t even tell how cloudy it is with the haze this bad

We got some surprise thunderstorms towards dusk last night that I couldn’t even see coming because of the haze. 

Walking the dog last night:

Wife: “is that thunder?”

Me: “no, it’s not supposed to storm tonight. Probably an airplane.”

*distant thunder rolls again*

wife: “I’m telling you, that’s thunder”

me: “no, it must just be people rolling their garbage cans out to the curb”

*I check radar when we get inside* 

“Yep, that was thunder.”

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

So the model rundown seems to be:

CMC: has jumped on the heat train next week

GFS: has jumped off the heat train next week

EC: still on the heat train next week

*but nothing particularly excessive or lasting on any model

Made a quick look this Am.  Felt like the ec backed way off the heat.  Nothing excessive like you said.  

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

Made a quick look this Am.  Felt like the ec backed way off the heat.  Nothing excessive like you said.  

It’s that usual phenomenon of the GFS making big jumps while the EC makes baby steps. So I guess a drop of 6-8 degrees on the Euro is actually pretty significant.

6 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

It’s that usual phenomenon of the GFS making big jumps while the EC makes baby steps. So I guess a drop of 6-8 degrees on the Euro is actually pretty significant.

Yea it was still hot but nothing near 100.  Speaking of not hot, at an event outside right now and it's downright nice out.  Even with masks on (we are going in an out of buildings). 

I always find it interesting when the national high and low temp for the Lower 48 occur within a relatively short distance of one another, as happened yesterday with the high of 119 at Death Valley, CA and the low of 35 at Bodie State Park, CA being separated by only ~160 miles or so.  While this doesn't happen all too often, I have witnessed it from time to time and it always seems to be these two locations.  The two sites couldn't be more different and extreme in terms of topography haha, with one being well below sea level and the other being a high-elevation valley above 8,000', but still quite the feat.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I was looking out over the river last evening - the smoke seemed to be hanging over the Susky while the setting sun was a red fireball in the western sky. I immediately starting jamming out to Deep Purple. 

E8782E5C-0F2D-4B0B-8C38-523C23B51EA5.png.95add0fbcaa74231b808b0da327499dd.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Looks like a decent chance of some storm activity this afternoon before a cooler drier air mass ushers in and clears things out, including hopefully smoke ha, and then high pressure takes control for a couple days.  Should be a nice end to the week.

i swear to god, i will never get my lawn mowed. 

i think the smoke haze is greater today. 

25 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Looks like a decent chance of some storm activity this afternoon before a cooler drier air mass ushers in and clears things out, including hopefully smoke ha, and then high pressure takes control for a couple days.  Should be a nice end to the week.

yeah man.  Just like w/ winter, I dont get too caught up on LR....especially in summer.  Beatin the heat is a one week at a time gig for me.  I'll take the rest of this week and go from there.  But with the little peeking I did do, that was a stout ridge in the central basin, and if rolled over a bit...we'd be on the edge of the heat blanket.  I can remember a few/some years back when we had a similar deal where big heat cooked the midwest, and while it got close, we stayed on the fringe of the w/nw flow and it saved the MA and NE from cookin.  I'm sure one of you stat guys can find which summer it was.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

yeah man.  Just like w/ winter, I dont get too caught up on LR....especially in summer.  Beatin the heat is a one week at a time gig for me.  I'll take the rest of this week and go from there.  But with the little peeking I did do, that was a stout ridge in the central basin, and if rolled over a bit...we'd be on the edge of the heat blanket.  I can remember a few/some years back when we had a similar deal where big heat cooked the midwest, and while it got close, we stayed on the fringe of the w/nw flow and it saved the MA and NE from cookin.  I'm sure one of you stat guys can find which summer it was.

One good thing - we're already talking August. Even if we get some crazy heatwave, we have fall coming in a month and half or so. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

2006?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, canderson said:

One good thing - we're already talking August. Even if we get some crazy heatwave, we have fall coming in a month and half or so. 

Absolutely.  While I dislike the heat (in case some aren't aware :P), I'm old enough to know there are far more worrisome things to complain about.  I just roll with it and like many here, bide my time till the first autumn cold front pushes through. I sold the cave a couple years back....and bought a Harley....hehe

Its all good.

11 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Yeah I'm with ya, I don't pay much mind to the LR during the summer months, just way too much variability day-to-day on the convection elements.  Once we start to roll into late Fall and Winter I'll pay more attention to fantasy land to try and get rough ideas of pattern and placement for storm chances, and also because, well, who doesn't love a good LR clown map ha.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Yeah I'm with ya, I don't pay much mind to the LR during the summer months, just way too much variability day-to-day on the convection elements.  Once we start to roll into late Fall and Winter I'll pay more attention to fantasy land to try and get rough ideas of pattern and placement for storm chances, and also because, well, who doesn't love a good LR clown map ha.

Absolutely! Gotta Love the clown maps!