Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2021 Discussion/Obs

CAPE

Yes just as the 5th! ;)

Tomorrow is June 15.  That day back in 1980 came close to changing our lives forever.  A strong (then F2) less than 300 meters from our home.  Windows, vents and siding removed, cars demolished from tennis ball sized hail.  No power for over a week!  Learned Moonlight Sonata and Rage Over A Lost Penny during that time.  Never liked piano much (I played organ mostly) but with no power, the Story & Clark upright it was! 

Rage is amazing especially when played to perfection like this young lady did, nailed it! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk9ASyG6jag

Snippet from MH AFD. Yes we know what's coming lol.

Highs should largely run in the upper 70s for Wed/Thu which is about 5 degrees below normal. Additionally dewpoints, initially in the 50s on Wednesday, should drop into the lower 40s (perhaps even the upper 30s if mixing is sufficient) on Thursday behind a weak boundary. This may result in Thursday being the most "comfortable" day for our region until autumn.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Snippet from MH AFD. Yes we know what's coming lol.

Highs should largely run in the upper 70s for Wed/Thu which is about 5 degrees below normal. Additionally dewpoints, initially in the 50s on Wednesday, should drop into the lower 40s (perhaps even the upper 30s if mixing is sufficient) on Thursday behind a weak boundary. This may result in Thursday being the most "comfortable" day for our region until autumn.

Your bog says stay viligant!  

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Your bog says stay viligant!  

The 'bog' is dry until late next winter, barring some anomalous tropical monsoon. Even then it wont last. It is a function of the water table, which is on the negative half cycle of the sine wave now headed towards minimum,  usually in early fall.

49 minutes ago, CAPE said:

The 'bog' is dry until late next winter, barring some anomalous tropical monsoon. Even then it wont last. It is a function of the water table, which is on the negative half cycle of the sine wave now headed towards minimum,  usually in early fall.

Last day of school and I'm pretty bored, so here's @CAPE's bog graphed for the year.  m = 0 is New Year's Day.  y = 0 is ground level, and y = -0.6 is average water table.

157738348_ScreenShot2021-06-15at8_54_23AM.thumb.png.e1e5e479c27929d28a051576dfe6afbb.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Almost a whole .10" in the bucket from last night's deluge.  Combine that with the .13" pounding i got Sunday afternoon and I'm pushing nearly 1/4" this week!:o

That puts me at 1.73" since May 3!  All that in just 6 weeks!

What drought?!?

@EastCoast NPZ's graph showing the annual mid-spring deluge.

411127467_ScreenShot2021-06-15at9_27_45AM.thumb.png.5d98a6d0ba442c4899d5a84cc36441ac.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I picked up .62" from a storm last night and feel pretty fortunate.  Looking at the CoCoRaHS map, there are some pretty meager totals just north of me.  I've had about 5.3" for June so no complaints.

Thanks - confirms my obs. Was amazing seeing the line of angry red just to our south - total crush job there. For my house, it was mostly a steady gentle rain. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Thanks - confirms my obs. Was amazing seeing the line of angry red just to our south - total crush job there. For my house, it was mostly a steady gentle rain. 

at least you got rain. i was split north and south. just lightning in the distance for me. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic