Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

23 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah, they're really helpful in CS, too.  I called them and there was little hold time, and connected to competency - relatively savvy sounding level 1 support is probably all you'll need. Describe your symptoms vs needs, and that individual will probably ask you about gaming and station/port numbers in the household, etc... Y'all arrive at a model the best suits your need - I only went with the multi channel because at some point a spare bedroom ( was thinking...) would be converted to a nice home office, so I'd need access with lucidity from that area of the home...blah blah you get it.

Shipping time was like 4 days.  Problems solved -

So went with the Linksys AX3200 and then said f-it and got the Motorola MB8611 modem to go with it...goodbye Comcast hardware. Finally. Arrives Saturday- can't wait.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

If I'm asked to toss on a mask by the MA Governor again while out and about at a store, restaurant, so be it.  It's brief and not a huge deal.

Most of the people who say they don't mind a mask do not sit in the office all day with their face covered up breathing through that thing with their glasses so fogged they cant see shyte.

When you have to wear one 5 days a week, 8-9 hours a day straight, then we can talk. Because that's where me and my folks are at. And 90% of the rest of the company is sitting home on their couch calling in on zoom.

We had a lot of people back in since the end of May when the order was lifted. Yesterday and today, if you able to count to 20, you can count the number of people I've seen today. And 8 of those are my department and that's only because i have 2 out on vaca.. 

• Haha 1

You know .. there's an obscure sort of cultural irony about this obesity link with vulnerability and risk factoring and C-19

We just went through this whole meme-ing sort of social-awareness over the last half decade or so, anti-bullying and not shading of body-types ...  Showing up everywhere. Entertainment to the commercial breaks in between, lit and cinema.... unlikely match-making ( so much for 5 meets 5 ) this, or giant people dancing in music videos with syncopated rhythmic Kumbaya next to clear 9's...

The whole spectrum of shade and shame as though culture failing was evaluating; time for nlightenment as to the value of the soul, for the first time at in Americana if not the world of western image-based culture; considered shame in its self, to shame...  

And finally ... that sort of look is appreciated and has its place - sort of  ( it's a crock )

What happens immediately in succession ?   Pandemic eats those that eat -

• Like 1

So at the beginning of the pandemic, I saw some presentations by docs who treated the first wave.  They stated that morbidly obese have the highest risk of severe disease and death so this isn’t new-anyone matching covid obits and pictures could see it.   However, plenty of low risk people got it, survived, but are long haulers.   I get the return to normalcy but none of us have fun having a cold either.   Avoidance of a disease having a higher mortality and morbidity rate than what might be acceptable to the health care system makes sense to me.   I’m pretty confident I’d survive covid being vaccinated and reasonably healthy despite being in my mid 70s.   But why would I want to test that presumption? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

So at the beginning of the pandemic, I saw some presentations by docs who treated the first wave.  They stated that morbidly obese have the highest risk of severe disease and death so this isn’t new-anyone matching covid obits and pictures could see it.   However, plenty of low risk people got it, survived, but are long haulers.   I get the return to normalcy but none of us have fun having a cold either.   Avoidance of a disease having a higher mortality and morbidity rate than what might be acceptable to the health care system makes sense to me.   I’m pretty confident I’d survive covid being vaccinated and reasonably healthy despite being in my mid 70s.   But why would I want to test that presumption? 

But at what cost economically, socially, mentally,etc. Is the healthcare system really setting the metrics for how to determine when/if things resemble pre 2019 forever? Of course not.

• Weenie 1

27 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Most of the people who say they don't mind a mask do not sit in the office all day with their face covered up breathing through that thing with their glasses so fogged they cant see shyte.

When you have to wear one 5 days a week, 8-9 hours a day straight, then we can talk. Because that's where me and my folks are at. And 90% of the rest of the company is sitting home on their couch calling in on zoom.

We had a lot of people back in since the end of May when the order was lifted. Yesterday and today, if you able to count to 20, you can count the number of people I've seen today. And 8 of those are my department and that's only because i have 2 out on vaca.. 

I work in an office 8-9 hours a day and never had to wear a mask.

23 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Nothing about what the medical profession professed early on is wrong.  Probability-wise, obese people were, and still are, .. more likely to flounder.

Problem is .. there's no one way or the other in nature; the average person of modernity seems to have lost sight of the simple fact that everything takes place on a probability curve.

Thin persons are in big trouble too - just not as much.  I keep hearing/read people say things like, "yeah, but so-and-so skinny marathoner ..." as though that abases the original warning. 

You know?  Morons are trying to abase the science of this thing at least excuse imagined. Personally, I often wonder if some if not a lot of the deeper real motivation for doing so, is so as to not have to admit to shit ( namely, how much theirs stinks in a lot of cases).

This disease in a lot of symbolic ways is a disease of the opulent abundance of human kind at this point in our history.  At all scales that is - at minimum - symbolic, like .. over crowding and surplus population in those regions where this problem ignited, was thus favored and fueled to spread by abundance of targets.  It's probably indirect - 2nd ...3rd order in 'equations of culpability' if we will.  Let's call it immoral while we are at it.  The morality of survival has been achieved, but we obfuscate that truth by iniquity in society constructs that are entirely self-imposed/chosen.  Getting into hippy shit -

Communes don't work either.

I keep coming back to humans need humility.  The Pompeii's of history tended to set things right by exposing sloth and entitlement.  Part of evolution I suppose ... times of advancing celebration needs the cruel indifference of set backs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I wish pics could do it justice here. 

849B8FC0-C0F4-406F-BBCF-BB57A78ABA1A.jpeg

Looks like Gullfoss.  I only went down the wooden steps there, better view of the lower rapids, poorer for that upper fall.  We did the touristy Golden Circle tour and Gullfoss was the highest highlight.  (Though the host's comment "If you're lost in an Icelandic forest, stand up!" drew laughs, especially from a Maine forester.)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, weathafella said:

The death rate for mid-70s is much higher than for under 50. 

16 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

But at what cost economically, socially, mentally,etc. Is the healthcare system really setting the metrics for how to determine when/if things resemble pre 2019 forever? Of course not.

I am not sure what you are saying.....unless things get catastrophic 1918 style lockdowns are over-and frankly other than public transportation including air and rail and the health care system masks are not required.   Each company assesses their risk and determines what to do based on their risk management.   That’s how private enterprise works.    As airlines require employees to be vaccinated, I think you’ll see that fact being advertised and the public shying away from those that don’t.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaineJayhawk said:

6' 5" and 156?  lol .. isn't that on the side of anorexic?

90% scale of Manute Bol.  (IIRC, he was 7'6" and 190.)

Well we all can't be 5' 6" and 135

Well better get there haha. Best chance outside of vaccines.

Should Ginxy take out the superfluous 11" from top, middle or bottom.  :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I am not sure what you are saying.....unless things get catastrophic 1918 style lockdowns are over-and frankly other than public transportation including air and rail and the health care system masks are not required.   Each company assesses their risk and determines what to do based on their risk management.   That’s how private enterprise works.    As airlines require employees to be vaccinated, I think you’ll see that fact being advertised and the public shying away from those that don’t.  

Please tell DeBlasio this