Most Online
    Virtual Bible Study
    Newest Member
    Virtual Bible Study
2021 Mid-Atlantic Foodie and Drank Thread

yoda

40 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

That shrimp and broccoli....wow!

Agreed. Especially in Spanish and Mexican dishes.  One of my favorites is pork tacos from leftover pulled pork.  Cook in the cast iron, constantly deglazing, adding spices, squeezing lime juice.  Pork get crispy and so flavorful...the cinnamon works well with it.  Crispy pork tacos are one of my favorites and I am usually forcing myself to stop eating.

One other secret I do is put chili powder into chocolate cookies. Elevates the flavor. 

• Like 1

Because of the originally forecasted cool-ish, semi-washout yesterday (which, of course, failed to materialize...thanks, NWS!), Mrs. V asked if we could stay in for Mothers Day and if I'd instead make brunch for her and the youngest offspring living in Arlington. I obliged -- whipped up a batch of Betty Crocker's morning crowd pleaser, Impossibly Easy Breakfast Bake, and then picked up on Saturday a fresh loaf of Great Harvest Bread's Xtreme Cinnamon Swirl bread to make her personal fave, French toast. Oh, and maybe a mimosa (or two).  :)  She never wants to eat "heavier" stuff like this, so I was happy to make it for her...and because she's an awesome mom, too.

PXL_20210509_150503381-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.c6aeb5a91e656caebf83d2bbc42567b9.jpg

PXL_20210509_164739076-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.c479bca7fde9b4106614d56fe119ab48.jpg

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Older Miss J had dance recital rehearsal last night so went for an super easy dinner. 
Herb rubbed split chicken breasts with a cucumber and tomato feta salad. 

YUMMO!  Cuke/Mater/Feta salad is one of my summertime favorites...so easy, and it tastes sort of refreshing after a hot day.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Got a recipe?

Actually threw this one together.

4 split chicken breasts.

1 TBSP each of dried rosemary, oregano, basil, and course salt. 1tsp garlic powder and onion powder and a healthy pinch of pepper. Mix together the spices. Coat chicken with olive oil then toss with herb mix. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Roast at 425 for 40-50 min. 

For salad cut up cucumbers cherry tomatoes put in feta and I used Greek dressing but have just used Balsamic Vinegar in the past. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am (just a hair older than the youthful @H2O  ) - and despite a lifetime of grilling, have never tried to smoke a pork shoulder for homemade pulled. So, today is the day. About four hours in, using the off-set smoker for the first time, fingers crossed. Worst case scenario, I **** it up, and swing up to MissionBBQ and get it that way. But I think I have a shot at this. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

I am (just a hair older than the youthful @H2O  ) - and despite a lifetime of grilling, have never tried to smoke a pork shoulder for homemade pulled. So, today is the day. About four hours in, using the off-set smoker for the first time, fingers crossed. Worst case scenario, I **** it up, and swing up to MissionBBQ and get it that way. But I think I have a shot at this. 

Don’t panic at the temp stall. The temp will eventually rise or worse case you wrap in foil and finish in oven. Good luck man don’t over think it 

Edit: below is site I used when was into smoking few years ago. Great tips and rub/sauce recipes. Check out the Lexington dip sauce if you are a east nc vinegar guy. Also got ketchup based and others if vinegar not your style 

https://amazingribs.com

1 minute ago, North Balti Zen said:

thanks.  Hit 171 at four hours - per the youtube videos have wrapped and am finishing still on the smoker. 

Yeh I never even had to wrap mine back in day but def helps speed it along if running low on fuel. Shared recipe site above if you want any ideas on sauces. 

4 Porterhouse steaks...cut 1.5" thick and ready for the grill.  I still think the ribeye is the best cut especially for grilling but I dont think there will be any complaints.  Getting ready for my pre-company beer.....beautiful outside! 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, wxtrix said:

sous vide then smoked pork belly tacos: 

I had to look up sous vide when you mentioned it the other day.  Whats your overall experience using this?  Really intrigues me but I am also not trying to reinvent the wheel.  Just curious if it requires a whole new learning process when it comes to doneness....I understand that the device creates the perfect doneness but do you compensate for whether you are finishing on the grill, cast iron or smoker...etc?

Tacos look stellar, btw....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, poolz1 said:

I had to look up sous vide when you mentioned it the other day.  Whats your overall experience using this?  Really intrigues me but I am also not trying to reinvent the wheel.  Just curious if it requires a whole new learning process when it comes to doneness....I understand that the device creates the perfect doneness but do you compensate for whether you are finishing on the grill, cast iron or smoker...etc?

I have been interested in it for a while and with the prices coming down and having more time during the pandemic, I thought i'd give it a try and bought a immersion circulator last year. I really like it because you can set it and not have to fret about ruining a dish since there is almost always some flexibility built into the cook time. I like it for braising because it's more even than my cooktop or my oven. I also tend to be a last minute cook during the week unless there is something I know I want to make, so it makes it easy to decide about dinner since you can put your protein into the hot water bath and it'll be ready without having to defrost it (the rule of thumb is the regular time to sous vide it plus 1/2 that amount of time).

you do have to consistently brown things afterward, and some things require an ice water bath if you aren't going to eat them right away, but I use the reverse sear method from Cooks Illustrated/seriouseats.com a lot anyway, so it's not an additional step most times for me. it makes incredible butter poached potatoes, too. I'm always looking for ways not to have to use the oven or cooktop during the summer, and I use my grill for a lot of things (I baked popovers on it last year), so it fits in with my usual cooking.

3 hours ago, poolz1 said:

Tacos look stellar, btw....

thanks! they were delicious!

• Thanks 1

Sunday A.M. breakfast -- hash browns in a spot of olive oil, with freshly diced onions and peppers and some leftover sausage.

PXL_20210529_160654857a.jpg.68943a3aaa2a9fbafb73fe18e459b973.jpg

Had the pedestrian fare (e.g., burgers, dogs, baked beans) for yesterday's BBQ, however, Mrs. V and I collaborated on an ultimate chocolate fudge bundt with Ghirardelli ganache. (I may have gone a little overboard with the ganache...but baker's prerogative).

PXL_20210531_185313659a.jpg.012d91072b136d97bb0c17cc86e66e8d.jpg

• Like 6