Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,894
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Mikessword
    Newest Member
    Mikessword
    Joined

Spring/Summer 2021 Banter/Complaint Thread


madwx
 Share

Recommended Posts

Feels weird saying it, but Seattle is underachieving with temps currently in the mid 100s.  I noticed that winds have taken on a westerly component there.  I am not familiar with the nuances of that area, but it would seem like that is not as favorable as something with an easterly component?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Seattle actually bumped back to 104, but the Dalles is up to 118 which is a new Oregon state max.

The wind shifted from northeast to south at Quillayute WA and the temp dropped from 109 to 81 in the past hour.

Fun fact, the Dalles airport(where the temp is measured) is actually across the river in Washington so any temps there would actually be Washington records.   118 would tie the all time Washington state max.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seattle hit 108 at 4:35pm there. The old record(yesterday!)has been smashed by at least 4 degrees.

 

Portland seems to have been sitting on 115 for some time. Just unimaginable for that city-hotter than anywhere in Ohio ever recorded. The hottest temperature ever recorded in Dallas is 113 for comparison. And most without AC. A Nightmare! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sojitodd said:

Seattle hit 108 at 4:35pm there. The old record(yesterday!)has been smashed by at least 4 degrees.

 

Portland seems to have been sitting on 115 for some time. Just unimaginable for that city-hotter than anywhere in Ohio ever recorded. The hottest temperature ever recorded in Dallas is 113 for comparison. And most without AC. A Nightmare! 

Yeah…and Portland’s low of 76 this morning broke the all-time warmest daily min temp of 74, set sometime in 2009.

Still 113 at 7pm local time, just crazy. And this isn’t a very dry heat either. At 3pm it was 115/54, heat index 114.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, madwx said:

Fun fact, the Dalles airport(where the temp is measured) is actually across the river in Washington so any temps there would actually be Washington records.   118 would tie the all time Washington state max.

Looks like Salem (definitely located in OR) hit 117 before winds shifted to the W and the temp crashed to 85 by 7pm local time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The heat under-performed in some areas of BC but not Lytton and Vancouver Island - Lytton set the all-time national record again at 47.9C. They exceeded Las Vegas' all-time hottest record :). There is a shot that Lytton today can just reach the 50ºC mark for the first time obviously in Canada's history due to some warmer 850 mb temps - on one hand I'm rooting for that milestone but on the other I'd be beside myself if I missed being there for it to cap off this historic event.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got around to looking up what Vancouver's high temperature ended up being on the big day, their forecast was the legend 40C with a humidex of 47. I found out the reason why TWN and the wx twitter community was dead silent about anything on that city: it was an epic bust beyond my wildest imagination :wacko:. It ended up only getting to 32C with a humidex of 40C! :lmao::facepalm: Sure still impressive in general but I'm curious about why the forecasters increased their high suddenly on Sun and went full tilt with 5C over their all-time record. Also some parts of the city may have gotten much higher due to the location of the sensor in a very delicate spot and I guess the wind flow caused the biggest temp bust I may have ever seen in this country..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Nine years ago today was this big dog. I'm sure Northern IN and Ohio posters have fond memories.

 

Lived in central WI at the time, so I only have “fond” memories of the days that followed this event. Closest thing to hell I’ve ever had the “pleasure” of experiencing, and I’ve lived in Arizona.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The spot in BC everyone is watching may under-perform today as it didn't jump to 40C until 1 pm PDT and TWN lowered their high to a measly 45C :thumbsdown:. What went wrong there lol. There is a discrepancy in the current temp from TWN and EC so its confusing. Currently its 47C on TWN so who knows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TimB84 said:

Lived in central WI at the time, so I only have “fond” memories of the days that followed this event. Closest thing to hell I’ve ever had the “pleasure” of experiencing, and I’ve lived in Arizona.

Our 2012 seems mild in comparison to what the NW is going through right now. I'd be willing to take some of that off their hands for maybe a couple days. At least we have more A/C here and are somewhat used to summer heatwaves, although not days and days of 110s/90s. Crazy how places at similar latitude can have such different climate norms.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Our 2012 seems mild in comparison to what the NW is going through right now. I'd be willing to take some of that off their hands for maybe a couple days. At least we have more A/C here and are somewhat used to summer heatwaves, although not days and days of 110s/90s. Crazy how places at similar latitude can have such different climate norms.

Or that places in Oregon, Washington, and Canada can get hotter than Las Vegas has ever gotten. You think the models are crazy until they verify. What’s Madison’s record? 107 or 108 if I remember correctly. That was Portland’s until this heat wave and now their record is 116. This event out west has totally changed my view on what is possible just about anywhere.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Our 2012 seems mild in comparison to what the NW is going through right now. I'd be willing to take some of that off their hands for maybe a couple days. At least we have more A/C here and are somewhat used to summer heatwaves, although not days and days of 110s/90s. Crazy how places at similar latitude can have such different climate norms.

That's why the 1936 heatwave is so unfathomable. This is when NO ONE had AC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I think that is the one when everybody in the Mid Atlantic learned what a derecho was.

Was camping and noticed a lot of high clouds coming in so we headed back to the camper. I was able to use my parents radar (no smartphone yet) and when I saw that, oh boy. Some of the wildest winds I have ever seen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

That's why the 1936 heatwave is so unfathomable. This is when NO ONE had AC.

Moving into my new house in 2 weeks....and my f***ing AC at the apartment has been out for 10 days. Miserable. Bought a portable unit and that keeps it below 80. Can't imagine pre-AC era as a whole.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the real weenies
 

A tragedy. Most of the glaciers on Rainier are about 25k years old, retreating and advancing of course, but this is just eating them up, just like the last two summers heatwaves annihilated Alaska. I don’t think we’re supposed to touch that topic too much here, but whistling past the graveyard we are.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The death toll from the legendary heat wave in BC is soaring with reports now of 500 dead. I can't say I didn't expect it but its still surreal this is the 2nd deadliest Canadian weather event in history after the Newfoundland Hurricane of 1775 (4000 deaths). Lytton BC did end up breaking the less than 24 hour all-time record a 3rd time in a row getting to an unimaginable 49.6ºC (121.3F)!! :o Let's call it 50 and fall asleep. What really blows my mind is that is hotter than Phoenix AZ has EVER GOTTEN in their documented history!! That just doesn't make sense to me...

Ironically when I type in google "deadliest Canadian weather event" the first thing that pops up is now incorrect info: "Hottest Day on Record - July 5, 1937. The highest temperature ever recorded in Canada was reached at Midale and Yellowgrass, Saskatchewan when the mercury soared to 45°C." 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Torchageddon said:

The death toll from the legendary heat wave in BC is soaring with reports now of 500 dead. I can't say I didn't expect it but its still surreal this is the 2nd deadliest Canadian weather event in history after the Newfoundland Hurricane of 1775 (4000 deaths). Lytton BC did end up breaking the less than 24 hour all-time record a 3rd time in a row getting to an unimaginable 49.6ºC (121.3F)!! :o Let's call it 50 and fall asleep. What really blows my mind is that is hotter than Phoenix AZ has EVER GOTTEN in their documented history!! That just doesn't make sense to me...

Ironically when I type in google "deadliest Canadian weather event" the first thing that pops up is now incorrect info: "Hottest Day on Record - July 5, 1937. The highest temperature ever recorded in Canada was reached at Midale and Yellowgrass, Saskatchewan when the mercury soared to 45°C." 

 Lytton is just burning up right now. Full evacuation with reports(and video)of much of it engulfed in flames. As if they did not have enough this past week with it reaching 121. Apparently it all developed so quickly and moved into the town that some people had to leave everything including pets. Just unbelievable for them to go through this. I hope there are no human fatalities and I dread to think of the pets that were left behind. 

 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-wildfires-june-30-2021-1.6085919

 

 

British Columbia is reporting three times the normal number of deaths, which would be an excess of at least 300 or more. This is rivaling some of the worst in US history-like the one(I believe in 1995?)in Chicago. Just unbelievable.

 

 

*and on a local note- barely and rain at my location with rain EVERYWHERE around me. It is dry as hell here. I really hope we can get at least a little rain before it gets hot and dry again. It got up 96 a few days ago-hottest so far this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"British Columbia’s chief coroner, Lisa Lapointe, said her office received reports of at least 486 “sudden and unexpected deaths” between Friday and 1 p.m. Wednesday. Normally, she said about 165 people would die in the province over a five-day period."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, luckyweather said:


A tragedy. Most of the glaciers on Rainier are about 25k years old, retreating and advancing of course, but this is just eating them up, just like the last two summers heatwaves annihilated Alaska. I don’t think we’re supposed to touch that topic too much here, but whistling past the graveyard we are.

The reason being “that topic” seems to be far more contentious, even among weather enthusiasts, than it should be. Not trying to ruffle any feathers here, but if a person is posting on weather forums, that would indicate to me that he or she follows the weather enough that it should be very obvious.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...