• Member Statistics

    16,619
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    City Central
    Newest Member
    City Central
    Joined
Baroclinic Zone

Spring Banter

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I really want snow days back next year...and snow

Greenfield gave 3 to the kids this year which was awesome!   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the best part of working from home last summer was going to be easier storm chasing...especially living a 2 minute drive from BDL...BUT WE DIDN'T GET CRAP last summer for thunderstorms outside of the mid-August event. It was a very disappointing summer last year in terms of convection here. That was the only reason I loved working 6-3...I could get done working in time to chase...but we couldn't get crap. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Work from home will stop the minute there is a whole scale reduction in productivity across the board.

My buddy does accounting/tax work and he figured he’d be work from home pretty much from now on. The place he works for is bringing people back starting next month a few days a week, and plans to have everyone back full time by the summer.

Most people just move their mouse every 15 minutes to remain “active” and I guess that wasn’t cutting it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Work from home will stop the minute there is a whole scale reduction in productivity across the board.

My buddy does accounting/tax work and he figured he’d be work from home pretty much from now on. The place he works for is bringing people back starting next month a few days a week, and plans to have everyone back full time by the summer.

Most people just move their mouse every 15 minutes to remain “active” and I guess that wasn’t cutting it.

Lol. Those people aren’t productive in the office either. Get rid of them.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It does. It’s a win from every angle.

Unless you are a person who profits off of commuters. From Restaurants to Bodega to the hot dog stand

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WFH is not good for junior employees who have not developed good work habits. It robs them of valuable networking time and the chance to watch more senior employees in action. It's actually pretty unfair to them to force them into a strictly WFH environment right out of the gate. They may think it's a good thing to have that much freedom at first, but it usually isn't.

And LOL at the "just fire them" line. Clearly no one here is an employer who has been sued for wrongful termination after they "just fired someone" for not doing their job. WFH also complicates this issue more as well. I have lived this. It's not so simple to fire someone.

This topic isn't as straightforward as some here are making it, but I get that some have a bit of a socialist bent and see employers all as capitalistic fat cats out to screw the working man. Life sure is simple to some folks.

  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is definitely a generational gap here. Millennials are known for having basically zero loyalty to their employer and being ready to jump at the drop of a hat for even a tiny raise. I could see how someone who views himself as a mercenary wouldn't care about actual team building because he plans to leave within 6 months. He would be content to never see any of his coworkers. People should remember it's a two-way street, however. Don't cry when your employer suddenly drops you like it's hot and upgrades to the guy who covers your tasks and still comes into the office to gel with the team. It would be silly for the employer to pick the WFH guy over that type of person.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

18 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I thought the best part of working from home last summer was going to be easier storm chasing...especially living a 2 minute drive from BDL...BUT WE DIDN'T GET CRAP last summer for thunderstorms outside of the mid-August event. It was a very disappointing summer last year in terms of convection here. That was the only reason I loved working 6-3...I could get done working in time to chase...but we couldn't get crap. 

The thing I like about chasing tropical is that usually you have a sense of something 5-10 days before gametime. I've gotten good enough sniffing out potential that I can reshape my calendar one or two weeks out and put in notice to take time off about 5-7 days out. Still tough because the peak of the season falls during our peak season, so my trips end up being quick turnaround, but it does make planning a lot easier. Quite a bit harder for blizzards and even more for LES, but still workable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I liked my previous setup better where I was going into the office 1 day per week. Maybe 2. 

The problem with going 100% remote is that our meetings are a lot less efficient...and I have a lot of meeting being in project management. We used to schedule most meetings when we were all in office together (usually one day per week).

 So i personally think the “mostly work from home” model is better than 100%. 

That’s where I land too. The biggest thing, for me, is flexibility.  I really liked the fact that I didn’t have to get up at 5:00 am and shovel the driveway and drive on crappy roads to get to work. Our prior wfh policy was so inflexible that I never bothered doing it.  However, collaboration can be more difficult. I think a split week would be a great compromise and work well for most. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

There is definitely a generational gap here. Millennials are known for having basically zero loyalty to their employer and being ready to jump at the drop of a hat for even a tiny raise. I could see how someone who views himself as a mercenary wouldn't care about actual team building because he plans to leave within 6 months. He would be content to never see any of his coworkers. People should remember it's a two-way street, however. Don't cry when your employer suddenly drops you like it's hot and upgrades to the guy who covers your tasks and still comes into the office to gel with the team. It would be silly for the employer to pick the WFH guy over that type of person.

Loyalty gets you nothing however. Most companies only see numbers not humans. Corporate America run by hedge funds and greed has ruined any sense of family and loyalty in many businesses. I don't blame people for moving on.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

 

The thing I like about chasing tropical is that usually you have a sense of something 5-10 days before gametime. I've gotten good enough sniffing out potential that I can reshape my calendar one or two weeks out and put in notice to take time off about 5-7 days out. Still tough because the peak of the season falls during our peak season, so my trips end up being quick turnaround, but it does make planning a lot easier. Quite a bit harder for blizzards and even more for LES, but still workable. 

I would certainly love to chase a hurricane some day...but after almost dying with Earl I may re-think that lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Loyalty gets you nothing however. Most companies only see numbers not humans. Corporate America run by hedge funds and greed has ruined any sense if family and Loyalty in many businesses. I don't blame people for moving on.

I was just going to say, where does he think they learned that?  It’s not like there are a lot of companies that are overly loyal either. And I don’t think it’s a chicken and egg thing, we know who crushed the loyalty out of people. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Unless you are a person who profits off of commuters. From Restaurants to Bodega to the hot dog stand

True. When lifestyles and the socio economic structure changes, some sectors will always suffer.  But people will continue to spend money. So , adjust to the changing times. Do a mobile hot dog stand, become a delivery only lunch spot, maybe move your expensive urban brick and mortar to a more neutral location being able to attract the city and surburb client, etc. There are ways to counter it by being innovative.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Loyalty gets you nothing however. Most companies only see numbers not humans. Corporate America run by hedge funds and greed has ruined any sense of family and loyalty in many businesses. I don't blame people for moving on.

Loyalty still gets you something at small businesses and if you are climbing the ladder well. If you are strictly a punch the clock guy who cruises at the "generally adequate" level, agree 100%. 

I understand why people job hop, but I have noticed that people have started to turn it into a regular thing versus something that is done situationally. You don't job hop and move laterally. You job hop to move upwards. If I see a resume with a lot of lateral moves, I toss it in the garbage. Most of these people have also priced themselves out of the market with these little hops that didn't move them forward. They were ultimately fruitless.

Don't get me wrong, I employ some mercenaries that I do not expect to stay long or show much loyalty. They are here to do a certain thing and then they will get bored and move on once that task is complete. Nothing wrong with that, but they also understand I may drop them at any time too if someone better comes along. It's very common in DoD contracting. Asking about this is part of interviews commonly. Our govt clients ask that question all the time.

 

 

 

  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I was just going to say, where does he think they learned that?  It’s not like there are a lot of companies that are overly loyal either. And I don’t think it’s a chicken and egg thing, we know who crushed the loyalty out of people. 

Plenty of 20 somethings applying here who have been job hopping since they were teenagers... 

It's become a cultural thing as much as anything else. These aren't usually rugged and jaded Boomers I am seeing jump all over the place.

  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys are out of touch if you think employers running businesses in sectors that are in-demand do not reward loyalty and hard work. Maybe in commodity work like burger flipping and low-skilled labor that is the case. In my biz, we definitely reward hard work with fierce loyalty. Most of our employees have skills that are extremely hard to replace. 

  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

I would certainly love to chase a hurricane some day...but after almost dying with Earl I may re-think that lol. 

2010?

I agree with Phin that WFH is tough for a less mature professional. There's a lot that's lost in terms of mentorship and example setting when a new professional or someone that hasn't acquired higher level time management and communication skills. Those first years are really critical, especially in spaces where someone can quickly be overtaken or fall behind due to the pace of the job. The goal should be to become great in a career, not adequate at a job. That requires some discomfort which can be lost when a boss puts you on cruise control in a virtual environment.  

The loyalty piece is interesting. I've kind of always viewed that as conditional. With the exception of one job, I've never really felt the need to island hop jobs because when I interviewed with each I made sure we were both clear on expectations and opportunities for growth. I've turned down much higher paying jobs because a current employer was clearly investing in me via mentorship, challenging work, etc..

It's business at the end of the day, but it's generally a bad idea to jump at the first or second sign of discomfort to make what's basically a lateral move. I see a fairly significant amount of that with some of my cohort. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

You guys are out of touch if you think employers running businesses in sectors that are in-demand do not reward loyalty and hard work. Maybe in commodity work like burger flipping and low-skilled labor that is the case. In my biz, we definitely reward hard work with fierce loyalty. Most of our employees have skills that are extremely hard to replace. 

But think about the meat and potato jobs that have been outsourced and downsized or turned into a “gig” rather than a job. That’s the overall lesson that’s been taught. Obviously it is not every company or every sector but it has been pervasive enough to leave an impression on a generation. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

You guys are out of touch if you think employers running businesses in sectors that are in-demand do not reward loyalty and hard work. Maybe in commodity work like burger flipping and low-skilled labor that is the case. In my biz, we definitely reward hard work with fierce loyalty. Most of our employees have skills that are extremely hard to replace. 

Until you sell your business then the employees are shit out of luck and it becomes strictly a numbers game with the olds first out the door. You are a minority in the corporate world 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Work from Home is about cutting costs for businesses ,period . Maybe sold as safety or blah blah but ya it’s money And less costs 

In the not so distant future ..when the costs come down with robotics (And they will ) many jobs will be replaced , especially on the factory floors. There are other sectors to , but the stimulus checks will have more and more political capital to transition into sort of a UBI hybrid . 
 

There are so many fascinating and downright scary directions technology is going rapidly with regarding to A.I. A.I is progressing at such a level that by the time people get around to regulating it , it will be too late due to the exponential rate of A.I- machine learning compared to the rate of regulating (which is usually the result of unwanted deaths )  It sounds wild and very fringy I realize but that particular technology stands to become one of the most Dangerous advances . There will be the incentive (almost from inception) to weaponize A.I . The rate at which this particular technology improves itself seems to be the biggest issue that once the cats out of the bag it’s almost beyond control .
 

Not to be outdone , there is a very well funded drive to sort of create a human / machine Learning  interface that actually sort of “upgrades” you . There is touted to be amazing healing and medical breakthroughs with this sort of technology using a implanted chip w tiny wires placed directly and carefully on the surface of the brain . Fully capable of reversing ailments from cognitive decline to spinal cord injuries to literally conjoining your sort of reality /intelligence abilities into the machine  exponential Learning curve and tapping into that in a way that seems fluid and part of you . It’s a very odd space with some folks who seem very fascinated with pushing the envelope and seemingly throwing caution to the wind . These advances are not extremely well detailed thou you can find executives for certain companies willing to brag about the advances in interviews thou it’s not quite broadcast yet on 60 minutes . This includes more than Elon Musk and Neuralink . If you take a careful look at how fast we have advanced in the last 30 years and look at what the cutting edge is with A.I, autonomous learning , genomics you should not be surprised if 20 years from now the world  really doesn’t closely resemble the one we are living in And that is if things go “well” once this cat is out of the bag .

 

...But  will it give me a bigger penis?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mreaves said:

But think about the meat and potato jobs that have been outsourced and downsized or turned into a “gig” rather than a job. That’s the overall lesson that’s been taught. Obviously it is not every company or every sector but it has been pervasive enough to leave an impression on a generation. 

Loyalty is gone. People learn the hard way

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

If you have an in-demand skill and can walk the walk, then being a merc is fine.  Just don’t whine when you suddenly get fired in favor of a better merc. 

I was obviously like 55% joking but...pretty sure in this case being a mercenary is being a capitalist.  I don’t hate on anyone making whatever career moves they deem positive for themselves. Everyone has their reasons. My top IT guy just gave his notice yesterday a.m. I tried to make him an offer he couldn’t refuse, but money isn’t everything to people. I literally don’t know what I’m going to do w/o him- shit.

 How did we even go down this rabbit hole?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have lots of young engineers that have been with us for a few years. Our company builds loyalty by treating their employees well. Pay competitively, good incentive plan, lots of development opportunities and challenging issues to solve. I do think social networks have made it easier to headhunt young talent. I know talented engineers that get calls weekly. We have to be competitive to retain them.


.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...