Stormheartgypsy
    Newest Member
    Stormheartgypsy

Cicadas 2021 - Brood X

have serious FOMO lol 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

This is getting like winter- always ten days away. :lol:

I haven't noticed hardly anything here. Maybe a hole or 2 but that's it. Either it's a bust or they're going to surprise me. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, FXW176 said:

Patience, y'all. They will be here soon. :)

Ahhhh, Depeche Mode. You're bringing back the memories of working the DJ graveyard shift at the college radio station (the shift nobody wanted!), serving up all of those awesome alternative/new wave tunes from the 80s. Also, never heard of the Silversun Pickups, but good tune...so thanks!  :D 

Many, many emergence holes around my property...have seen a few holes in surrounding blocks...but haven't actually seen any nymphs or heard any of the adults yet.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Ahhhh, Depeche Mode. You're bringing back the memories of working the DJ graveyard shift at the college radio station (the shift nobody wanted!), serving up all of that awesome alternative/new wave tunes from the 80s. Also, never heard of the Silversun Pickups, but good tune...so thanks!  :D 

Many, many emergence holes around my property...have seen a few in surrounding blocks...but haven't actually seen any nymphs or heard any of the adults yet.

Same thing here in western Fairfax there have been holes for weeks but nothing else. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, H2O said:

cicada virga

38 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I haven’t seen any holes yet around our property. Is it time for radar hallucinations?

Back edge is already approaching.  <Ji> Brood X cancel!! </Ji> :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This is definitely late vs. 2004. I finished finals the second week of May 2004 at UMBC and they had already been swarming around everywhere. People I know in central MD, southern PA and western OH haven't seen much of anything.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I haven’t seen any holes yet around our property. Is it time for radar hallucinations?

Don't worry, the WAA piece is drying up but the transfer to the coast will save us.  Euro said so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

This is definitely late vs. 2004. I finished finals the second week of May 2004 at UMBC and they had already been swarming around everywhere. People I know in central MD, southern PA and western OH haven't seen much of anything.

Yeah, I kind of remember them starting relatively early here in the DC metro area, like early May in 2004.  But I also recall that year was very warm in April/May so perhaps that's part of the reason.  They also "ended" sooner, like not long after Memorial Day weekend, in early June.  This year, I think it's been cooler leading into this month overall (i.e., more "normal"), so maybe that's been what's going on?  I thought the normal time was mid-May to mid-June, there about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Don't worry, the WAA piece is drying up but the transfer to the coast will save us.  Euro said so.

dry slot at 700mb doing its thing.  Gonna be some banding where it stays juicy

• Weenie 1

16 minutes ago, H2O said:

dry slot at 700mb doing its thing.  Gonna be some banding where it stays juicy

The one and only time we get death banded.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Full tuck confirmed?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LP08 said:

The one and only time we get death banded.

Cicada+++++++++

• Weenie 1

My trusted meat thermometer was measuring an average of 65 in my yard in Eastern Loudoun....should be soon!

• Thanks 1

I think Im more likely to see some Tremor worm monsters pop up from the ground IMBY more so than these fake ass cicadas...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

I think Im more likely to see some Tremor worm monsters pop up from the ground IMBY more so than these fake ass cicadas...

man, you're dating yourself quite a bit with that throwback mention. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

At least he didn't mention sandworms.  Now thats old

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, mappy said:

Well, I was only 3 years old when the original came out lol...was more of a cult classic movie I grew to like in my late teens and then 20s haha. Probably have seen it 50 times though

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, H2O said:

At least he didn't mention sandworms.  Now thats old

yes, you are old (almost) :P 

2 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Well, I was only 3 years old when the original came out lol...was more of a cult classic movie I grew to like in my late teens and then 20s haha. Probably have seen it 50 times though

oh my, you're so young (I kid, you're my sister's age, I'm 3 years older). But yes, Tremors was a cult classic. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

There's definitely a cicada sex joke to be made here...

17 years of living under the ground, followed by 3 weeks of singing and mass fornication...

Sounds like typical spring break time in Florida!! :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3