• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    friday
    Newest Member
    friday

February Banter 2021

I feel very, very badly for those not getting snow. I lived in N VA for 50 plus years. I know the feeling very well. But down here in south central Texas, I have gotten used to the climate here. I even enjoy watching outdoor soccer games in 100 degree weather, believe it or not, lol. I think it just may be possible, that I am turning into an old man.

It almost seems as if we are dealing with a forerunner of the Day After Tomorrow lol. Its 18 degrees, dewpoint 15, winds gusting out of the north at 35 mph at times. Its fairly chilly out. The sleet has changed to all snow. That frigid wind is gusting the snow right past our streetlight. Its supposed to get down in the single numbers tonight then struggle to reach the upper teens tomorrow. Not really sure whats going on down here. More freezing rain is forecast for Tuesday night or Wednesday. Roads are bad enough now, with fzdz on them then a layer of fine sleet then snow on top of that. I think I have a half inch of snow but its blowing around.

Mid Atlantic is going to get smashed by heavy snow soon enough. By the time this winter finally subsides in mid April, everyone will be craving spring. You guys on the Mid Atlantic are gonna get plenty of Siberian air before this is over, and far more snow than us Southerners lmao! And ice, and sleet, and high winds blowing so damn much snow that you'll get lost in your own back yard in Dale City!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Congrats! That game sucked...as did the Caps. We need Holtby back. And Orlov needs to be traded. 

VV was never intended to start 11 games in a row. The D is terrible and they can’t win a face off.

@Scraff

Penguins games against the Caps are always way more exciting to me than any other team we face, even if the Pens end up losing. I absolutely hate playing the Islanders or Bruins, the games always feel boring. Capitals always provide fast paced action

3 hours ago, Jebman said:

Try the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I LOVED visiting that place so much, long happy beach jebwalks there.......

Love the outer banks. I think I mentioned in another post that we used to vacation in Buxton/Cape Hatteras most summers when we lived in Virginia. I'm not sure I'd ever want to actually purchase property there since it is so susceptible to hurricanes. But would definitely like to spend more time there.

1 hour ago, wawarriors4 said:

@Jebman enjoy this, lived in San Antonio for 5 year from 2004-2009, never imaged I see anything like this down in South Central Texas!

I have an inch on the ground now. Rather large aggregates mixing into the snow. Its 14 degrees with 11 degree dewpoints, 30 mph wind gusts, I think the wind chills are running about -2 to -8. Some of the snow is getting blown around. Its really hard to believe I am in Buda Texas and not in Dale City Virginia, or even in Upstate New York.

• Like 6

I kid you not.

I just saw lightning and clearly heard thunder. Now it's snowing pretty hard, and the winds are gusting and blowing snow off the roofs and ground so much, its kind of like having a whiteout. This is so surreal, its unbelievable. Still 14 degrees.

• Like 7

13 degrees now and pretty heavy snow. I went out there and just breathed in a deep deep breath of 14-degree snow filled air! Wow all the myriads of flakes in the outside lights! I think we just might be getting 2 inch per hour rates. At least 2 inches out there right now and really coming down, just blowing and blowing past the big light out in the field!

I really want the Mid Atlantic Region to get totally shellacked by huge HUGE snow aggregates, hour upon hour upon hour, in nice frigid conditions. I am sure you guys are gonna get hit hard soon and very soon.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

lmao south TX is going to get more snow than DC this year (and definitely going to record a colder temp).

+TSSN at 14F in south TX definitely takes the cake.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

meanwhile DC struggles to get below 30F.

I've been happy to be getting scraps down here after 2 shut-out years. Last year I had to scrape frost off my car a grand total of twice.

Just now, csnavywx said:

I've been happy to be getting scraps down here after 2 shut-out years. Last year I had to scrape frost off my car a grand total of twice.

yeah i mean last year we basically didn't have winter. this year at least there is some semblance of it.  although it looks like DC proper will go another year where it fails to drop below 20F.

Now 12 degrees with moderate to heavy snow. Winds really blowing snow off the roofs and all over the ground. Drifts are forming. This is only 2-3 inches

of snow, but this is a LOT for this part of the US.

I apologize for the poor quality of this video, but this is my very first ever on youtube.

You guys said I better have pics, or it never happened.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

11 degrees, pouring snow, wind is just blowing all those aggregates past the lights, and we have almost 4 inches! We have now received over 800 percent of normal seasonal snowfall here! NWS here mentioned some places might get over 6 inches. I might just have to stay up all night to find out lol.

• Like 3

Absolutely POURING BIG flakes, wind is just blowing big snowflakes all over in the porch lights! Its 10 degrees with approximate -11 to -15 wind chills. Mets, please correct me if that is overstated. ITS FRACKIN COLD out there! I went out to get a snow depth reading only 20-30 min ago ----- MY FOOTPRINTS ARE TOTALLY OBLITERATED! Ground landmarks are disappearing lol. That snow is on the ATTACK! I think I just may be getting totally shellacked.

• Like 7

Snow is slowing down a little now, 9 degrees, winds are all over the place, measuring snow is going to be a challenge. Might have to take about 100 readings then average them lol. Looks like about 6 inches easy, may be 7. Will look over the trained spotter reports later, refine and tweak my findings. Snow still coming down, not quite as crazy hard. Got a BIG 8 inch drift on the deck. Might have to get a Deck Pic or two later.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jebman said:

Snow is slowing down a little now, 9 degrees, winds are all over the place, measuring snow is going to be a challenge. Might have to take about 100 readings then average them lol. Looks like about 6 inches easy, may be 7. Will look over the trained spotter reports later, refine and tweak my findings. Snow still coming down, not quite as crazy hard. Got a BIG 8 inch drift on the deck. Might have to get a Deck Pic or two later.

That's incredible Jebman! Congratulations on the epic storm! Make sure you show those Texans how to shovel all that snow...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pazzo83 said:

lmao south TX is going to get more snow than DC this year (and definitely going to record a colder temp).

It is colder in Houston right now than it has been at DCA for years.  This is amazing stuff.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MN Transplant said:

It is colder in Houston right now than it has been at DCA for years.  This is amazing stuff.

OK city had moderate snow and a temp of 1. Can't remember that ever happening in DC. Maybe back in like 94 between ice storms I remember a few inches with temps near 0.

It’s interesting how these crazy cold shots come down so far south in the middle of the country. I would think that the Gulf of Mexico would help moderate temps in places like Houston, but apparently not or not always? 

I read recently that in 1895 there was snow as far south as Tampico, MX. 

Seems like the Atlantic (or maybe our longitude) is our worst enemy here in the mid Atlantic 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IUsedToHateCold said:

It’s interesting how these crazy cold shots come down so far south in the middle of the country. I would think that the Gulf of Mexico would help moderate temps in places like Houston, but apparently not or not always? 

I read recently that in 1895 there was snow as far south as Tampico, MX. 

Seems like the Atlantic (or maybe our longitude) is our worst enemy here in the mid Atlantic 

Both the Atlantic and the Apps.  Expansive cold air outbreaks are often shallow.

1 minute ago, JakkelWx said:

Meanwhile I hear the first chirping of birds in quite a while outside.

Today is the last day of the Great Backyard Bird Count!

5 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

Meanwhile I hear the first chirping of birds in quite a while outside.

No one will believe this but I was down in my old PG county stomping grounds on Friday walking the old neighborhood, and when I went to check out the old duck pond, peepers were chirping from the heavy cover. It was cold but they didn’t seem to mind at all. Spring will be here before we know it.