Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/31 - 2/2 Obs. / Nowcast

TheSnowman

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think the forecast they had in borderline areas was too aggressive, but yeah as far as the sharp gradient...good luck with that. 

I would say it's definitely a bit odd to get that bulge of heavier snows into SE MA when the coastal front tends to be sharper and NE/SW in orientation.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, that was certainly a great event, but not one of my tops. It was close to March 2018, but a notch below that.

I think in Wilmington that would have been up there for me. I'm starting to weight in rates more. You get a foot in four hours....that is pushing the limit and would launch a storm up a few notches. I know it's subjective, but rates are king for me. 

7 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I just pushed the sleet off the driveway last night when it ended, and it all just rolled downhill. :lol:

Yeah lol, Its like just dumping out a truckload of the calcium pellets and spreading it out then walking on it, Its hard to describe, Hard to clean up too.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

I won't even remembers this one up here.

I don't blame you. I don't understand why some get so annoyed by bitterness and whining (not that your sentiment constitutes either). Its never bothered me in the least. Those guys along the coast had every right to be miserable Monday night. I would have been the same way. I'd be so pissed.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

What did you measure in this past event?

18..25 (rounded to 18.3) ......measured 1.5 Monday night at 5 before shoveling part of the driveway.....measured an additional 16.75 at 7 AM yesterday. The City of Methuen twitter account claimed more than 2 feet of snow fell in Methuen. .....lol

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Where have you been for all the other biggies? 96? 2011? 2013?

96 was CNJ that’s the biggest snow total at 24-28”. 2011 was in DXR with 24”. 2013 I was in NC. 

I am simply referring, though, to the ‘feel’ of this. It’s been snowing for 80+ hrs. Even how great 2011 and 2013 were...they were quick and the sun came out afterwards. 96 is still king for totals and duration of impact snows. This is ‘only’ 16.25” but past 3 mornings I awake to snowfall...just feels like I’m in the mountains. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think in Wilmington that would have been up there for me. I'm starting to weight in rates more. You get a foot in four hours....that is pushing the limit and would launch a storm up a few notches. I know it's subjective, but rates are king for me. 

Well, I would have to look back, but I'm pretty sure that March 2018 was just as impressive, only it was more sustained because I rotted in the deformation banding. Like I said...March 2018 and April 1997 are the only two that can top that for strength and duration of rates.

Monday night does get bonus points for naked twister, though...I live for the rt 128 coastal front jobs. That one was right in my wheel house and I had feeling it would be several days out, when I saw Jan 2003 pop up on the analogs...similar gradient.

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I don't blame you. I don't understand why some get so annoyed by bitterness and whining (not that your sentiment constitutes either). Its never bothered me in the least. Those guys along the coast had every right to be miserable Monday night. I would have been the same way. I'd be so pissed.

Were not actually setting the world ablaze up here on snow this season either, We've missed out on anything significant, I'm pretty far down Kevins snow list.    lol

4 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

18..25 (rounded to 18.3) ......measured 1.5 Monday night at 5 before shoveling part of the driveway.....measured an additional 16.75 at 7 AM yesterday. The City of Methuen twitter account claimed more than 2 feet of snow fell in Methuen. .....lol

I had 16.5 and a settled depth of 14".

That Lowell report of 24" was BS IMO.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I think we were really looking at a decaying band of deformation lift north and weaken, but then a second spoke of vorticity rotated around and gave western ME a bunch of QPF yesterday. While it was sleet near the coast, it stayed all snow farther inland.

thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking. but it sucks being in the middle. I feel like Jan Brady.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The 14" settled depth was the next morning....but my peak depth was 15" at like 2 am.

I am not questioning your measurement...that is reasonable.

I asked because it snowed at a good clip for a few hours after 2 am. Also the 1.5 I measured at 5 PM on Monday was very light snow. The 16. 75 I measured on Tuesday morning was quite a bit heavier. And the top layer of snow was certainly a wetter and heavier snow than the lower layers of snow. Perhaps it it possible your measurement was impacted by compression of the snow as the snow got heavier and wetter.  

Final snowfall totals for Feb 1-2 2021 blizzard. Made a couple new county graphics, because why not. All reports taken from here, PNS, Cocorahs and the NWS 72hr snowfall map. Most of the state ended up right in the range of 10-18" of the final call forecast with one report of +18" (19 in Danbury) and a small hole over southern Tolland and Windham counties of 6-10". 

Positive

• General 10-18" statewide verified
  • Highest amounts in Fairfield county as noted by the text in the final call graphic
  • Some mixing in SE CT as noted in the text in the final call graphic as well as lower end of the range

Negative

• Small 6-10 hole over NE CT was not forecast

Overall very happy with how everything went with the forecast, couldn't really ask for much better.

Grade: A-

02_02.21_jdj_snowfall_totals_2.thumb.jpg.a33274223f4c35e292ce2a8f13a70e93.jpg01_30.21_jdj_snowfall_forecast_2.thumb.jpg.e4d3fb26d501c3e5dd8bd0084a2e38e3.jpg

02_02.21_jdj_snowfall_totals_new_haven.thumb.jpg.34b336eea5a315a2380211ab99cf73a6.jpg02_02.21_jdj_snowfall_totals_fairfield.thumb.jpg.680aa8f611fdd916a00c0d6caad50faf.jpg

02_02.21_jdj_snowfall_totals_town_by_town.thumb.jpg.7443c9de64287d0272f48c5f62b13862.jpg

maptexttownbytown.thumb.JPG.76ad18b2e0393defd24e5563be020b41.JPG

02.02.21_jdj_snowfall_totals.jpg

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Well, I would have to look back, but I'm pretty sure that March 2018 was just as impressive, only it was more sustained because I rotted in the deformation banding. Like I said...March 2018 and April 1997 are the only two that can top that for strength and duration of rates.

Monday night does get bonus points for naked twister, though...I live for the rt 128 coastal front jobs. That one was right in my wheel house and I had feeling it would be several days out, when I saw Jan 2003 pop up on the analogs...similar gradient.

I thought of that when Will mentioned it. I didn't think it would be that bad at first, but it was close. Even lower elevations in Milton had like 8+". Crazy.