• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31 - Feb 2 Storm

stormtracker

THAT was one hell of a run for much of the sub-forum. Despite the bit of mixing during part of the coastal for the cities, everyone is puking dendrites at some point during the height of the coastal. US15 to I81 from Winchester to Harrisburg could be the deformation zone on this run verbatim. The whole area gets walloped in all. 1'+ for a ton of the sub. Even with the slightly farther north track of the surface low into southern Ohio, the goods are still delivered. I liked seeing a consistent hold of the ULL as it crosses into the Ohio Valley as well, strengthening again as it moves east. The 7H low cuts right over the Potomac. Just a slightly further south depiction, and it's blockbuster for basically everyone. A great run 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Just now, Ji said:

Oh oh....first sign of the usual dc Miller b screw job by the euro. These 00z runs are killing us. This was my biggest fear....not the suppressed.

Worst case scenario is a suppressed first wave and then dryslot...but maybe still 2-4"...I don't want to think about it, but it's DC...right now im optimistic

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

THAT was one hell of a run for much of the sub-forum. Despite the bit of mixing during part of the coastal for the cities, everyone is puking dendrites at some point during the height of the coastal. US15 to I81 from Winchester to Harrisburg could be the deformation zone on this run verbatim. The whole area gets walloped in all. 1'+ for a ton of the sub. Even with the slightly farther north track of the surface low into southern Ohio, the goods are still delivered. I liked seeing a consistent hold of the ULL as it crosses into the Ohio Valley as well, strengthening again as it moves east. The 7H low cuts right over the Potomac. Just a slightly further south depiction, and it's blockbuster for basically everyone. A great run 

Correct, but the concern is that every Euro run over the last 3 runs has pushed the higher totals north.  I hope that trend doesn’t continue tomorrow.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Thanks for your great and reasonable posts.  I am gathering we want the h7 low to be like 50-75 miles S of us for perfection?

• Like 1

Just now, jaydreb said:

Correct, but the concern is that every Euro run over the last 3 runs has pushed the higher totals north.  I hope that trend doesn’t continue tomorrow.  

I believe his mention of where the h7 low passes is causing that.  If we can get that to move south a tad, the higher totals will come back south... is that right @MillvilleWx?  Or do i have that wrong?

Shift the storm 30 miles SSE and that 24+ jackpot is right over us. Seasonal trend says not so fast however. I was never worried about suppression. I was worried about Harrisburg to Boston getting crushed. This setup reminds me of many classic Miller b’s that dumped 18+” on the New York metro area in the early 2000s when I lived up that way. Not all of them miss us down here, but some certainly do - especially from dc south. 

I’d take the euro / cmc blend and run with it but boy, are we playing with fire here if this trend North doesn’t halt big time by tomorrow night 

2 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

If it trends north we'll likely do better on the front end...It's not a win-win...but some consolation

This! These are rare to see, but there's two ways to actually score here. There's an easy way to score a nice low-end WSW criteria snowfall with the WAA piece ahead of the surface low into the OH Valley. The antecedent airmass ahead is ripe for the picking and is something everyone should be rooting for. I know you know how Miller B's work around back home. It'll be a tight rope walk as usual, but the prize could be epic. The key is keep the primary from going too far north if you ONLY want the coastal. Need the confluence to the NE to hold it's ground and the surface low to not tuck back over land like the Euro. That caused some boundary layer issues for about 6-12 hrs east of the fall line.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, yoda said:

6-12 is a nailbiter?  Okay then

One more shift like this one and half the subforum would be looking at a dramatically scaled down event...a few inches of WAA snow and then snizzle.

AS DEPICTED it's still great. But yes, when 50 miles makes the difference between 2-3 inches and 15, that's nailbiter.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jayyy said:

Shift the storm 30 miles SSE and that 24+ jackpot is right over us. Seasonal trend says not so fast however. I was never worried about suppression. I was worried about Harrisburg to Boston getting crushed. This setup reminds me of many classic Miller b’s that dumped 18+” on the New York metro area in the early 2000s when I lived up that way. Not all of them miss us down here, but some certainly do - especially from dc south. 

I’d take the euro / cmc blend and run with it but boy, are we playing with fire here 

But yet...hasn't the seasonal trend been suppression? (especially this month, lol)

10 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

If it trends north we'll likely do better on the front end...It's not a win-win...but some consolation

I'm 30+ miles NW of DC - I would rather see a stronger coastal with mixing along 95 - pretty sure every really big storm we've had here had mixing near 95, while we remained all snow.

5 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

ALWAYS the concern with these setups. It's a tight rope walk for the area. Euro/CMC/Para GFS are all good for the WAA piece. CMC is like the dividing line between the Euro and GFS. IF I was to bet where the best snow will occur, I predict Rt30 to the PA Turnpike with 50 miles either side being well within the clear for a MECS. Need a little more of a southward trend for DC/NoVA. Miller B life 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, yoda said:

I believe his mention of where the h7 low passes is causing that.  If we can get that to move south a tad, the higher totals will come back south... is that right @MillvilleWx?  Or do i have that wrong?

The mid-level dynamics need to a be a bit further south in order to cash with the coastal. 850-700mb is the area you watch for low passage as this is where the best lift for dendritic growth occurs and you see better banding structures. 

• Thanks 2

• mappy locked and unpinned this topic