Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan. 31-Feb. 2 Miller B storm

LVblizzard

4 minutes ago, LVwxHistorian said:

Don't laugh it's happened:   Morgantown had 50" in March 1958 storm!

Gees, I can't even fathom what over 4' of snow would look like. I spent part of my childhood in Erie, so I sorta kinda know what 3-ish feet looks like, but that was like 30 years ago when I was a small child. We used to have to hire a backhoe to dig us out since our driveway was so long, and I remember the snowpiles going almost up to the wires on the telephone poles near the road.

That said, I'll be very happy with anything over a foot when all is said and done.

4 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

And March 58s snow map is very similar throughout New England. It’s a good analog imo. 

90099F40-833E-4B53-A8B1-332A5F657034.jpeg

That was of course a totally different set up...all elevation driven as about 6 miles NW of me had 50" in Morgantown at 625 ft while only 19" fell 300 feet lower down in Coatesville at 325ft asl....

Lol I've seen we've digressed into talking about '58 here. Just take your 16" inches and be happy. .... clearly too many weenies for breakfast. Nothing about this says Hecs, this is modeled as a reasonable Mecs. I dont think the low is deep enough. No wonder these storms always fall short of expectations when the expectations rise of the granddaddy of all PA blizzards-- what do you expect. 

I think the Para shows a nice solution however I think the gradient will be further south and tighter. Realistically there will be some dry slotting and probably a crust of sleet at some point. Somebody will probably see 20 to 22" out of this but you'd have to be color blind to see 50" on any of these maps!! 

Definitely liking the chances of 12-18” here in the LV. However, if the best forcing/frontogenesis slides east, lots of people (including me), will end up very disappointed. We KNOW someone is getting 24”+ from this storm, but unfortunately, we’re not going to have location until this is in progress. 

• Like 1

The thing worth considering here, is that, unlike the *December* storm, this storm is sticking around a long time. Yeah, the event starts within 24 hours. But the actual ramp up where we expect to see the transfer and thus, the bigger totals, isn't until Monday (e.g. 36 hours ish out). I think we could safely predict right now what happens tomorrow. The overrunning precip comes through, gives a widespread several inches, semantics dependent on mesoscale details. Hence, we have 12 hours before we'll be at the point where, in December, the models started making everyone cry (they began that trend sooner though) wrt the actual Nor' Easter component to this storm. I think 10-14" is what I'm going with for the city. Someone in the LV will see north of 2". I don't necessarily buy the pie in the sky 3-4 feet. Mixing is a concern for the corridor, but the transfer should probably limit duration. I think the above comments were right vis a vis the NWS was pointing it out as something to be aware of and consider, not buying or not buying it. It's one of those things to keep an eye on. If that signal sticks around and it starts showing in other models, pay attention. If not, just a good-to-know. 

Wishing all in this forum good luck the next few days, if you're chasing, staying home etc. May the snow totals be forever in your favor.