Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February the climo snow month

Ginx snewx

1 hour ago, NorEastermass128 said:

I've had 7" total since this epic February pattern developed.  

0" --- 2/1-2/2

5" --- 2/7

2" --- 2/9

And no complaints.  Looks great out there.

Oh come on, there's a complaint embedded in this no complaint, if you are honest with yourself. I can identify.

I've got less than you.  Not complaining, of course!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I dunno, I think it snowed guys. Good lord with this neurotic nitpicking - it's now worse in lieu of some other style of delivery?  LOL at the inconsolability ... - it snowed!   I know ...I know... it wasn't evocative of enough excitement

The 16th/17th is interesting ... 

Firstly, in the interest of fairness, the converging teleconnector signal appears to be failing to produce a correction event.

In my defense, I did suggest the end point may extend out a bit longer.  I mean, it's not like there are temporal boundaries on atmospheric events ...and being that far out there, who knows -

That said, the 16/17 time range materializes from entirely different pattern morphology so ...I think in honesty it stands apart (causally...) It does not appear really at all by then to be related to the rising PNA, relaxing west-limb -NAO stuff.

- these intervals are not always realized.. I know why in this case - strongly suspect I do ... The GGEM ( not a good model to me but just to make the case...), nicely shows the western end of the SPV failing to come down and capture/connect with the physical wave propagation of the intermediate stream out there later in the mid range. The culprit really appears to be wave propagation speeds .. The x-coordinate wave translation speed in the S, is too progressive ( fast ) wrt to the y-coordinate of the N (SPV) ... Thus it is not given enough time to move through the subsume process - meaning the S stream is outpacing the N/ streams ability to do so...  So, we pass through that vulnerable period with shearing problems is what it really all boils down to..

But letting that go... the ~ 16th event's wave space/ mechanics are pure Pacific. As of the 00z's initialization ... said wave space's best discernible position in space is actual over the Sea of Japan!!  It's that far ...yes, more literally than figuratively .... around the other side of the planet.  And, is also all situated in the middle latitudes as a relay off the Asian continent.  That feature is embedded in a tremendous accelerating wind tube along the underside of a very strong WPO vortex as it goes through some flexing ... moving forward in the modeling... and it squirts some 72 hours later near the Date Line...  From there..it careens on nearly a flat flow trajectory through California by 120 hours... and 24 to 48 hrs later... "might" if it even exists, throw party up our way...

Some cons ( you should be laughing a little at this point ...) :  Flat progressive predictability is a bit of an oxymoron ... red flag.   All season long, extended range and even many mid range systems are tending to mute as they get near in time.  Lastly but surely not all .. .the hemispheric fast flow doesn't really promote curved trajectories in general ...so that does not lend to this thing, either.

The pro is this is climo bomb time.  The N stream does appear to relax... so, it is - speculative - possible the flow "decompresses" along the mid latitude heights more so than the model ar presently showing ... and that would emerge a better environment for purer Pacific waves to not be mooshed by the elephants ass of the N...

All you can do is identify the period.....if in every instance said potential was realized, then we'd average 200".  Obviously I'm hoping for another big ticket, as always, but this season has already bucked the trend for mod-strong cool ENSO to avoid big impactors.

Temperature departures through the 1st third of the month... It's felt cold (here in NYC too)... But really hasn't been too bad. A bit colder relative to normal the further south you go, but I consider +/- 1 "normal."

BOS: +0.6

BDL: -0.1

PVD: +0,6

ORH: +1.5

BDR: +0.3

ISP: -0.7

NYC: -0.9

EWR: -1.2

Take a moment to appreciate glazing at Brownsville Texas ? 

This has been a recurrent signal in the GFS runs ... this is actually the most striking it has been depicted,  120 hours from now .. the next frame after this as some mix that far that - ...that's pretty rare

image.png.27f2818006dd9978a822d0ea92f1030b.png

And "as is" - always a risk ... - the operational GFS takes that mess into an Eastern Lakes as bully-primary... but the layout of the PP up over Ontario/ antecedent air mass in New England would argue that is - ironically - a major glazer here after the perfunctory snow to start type of climo thing -

I would also still caution modeling 'over assessment' as an on-going contamination to performance -related issue with all guidance.  I don't trust big heavy sprawling systems in that post 120 hour frames to actually succeed because of the punishing failures to actually do so ...doesn't lend much confidence - to put it drolly.. 

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Hadley cryin' for his mama

GFSSGP_925_temp_123.png

Does DuPage carry the 2-meter T's for this time ...  ?  

Just curious cause the cold in that synopsis is - obviously .. - steeply sloped left in the sounding.  I.e., it's probably colder than those contours/ .. perhaps neutral to the surface, in that advection region ..all the way down.  I wonder if Brownsville could actually be flirting with 32 there ... 

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Does DuPage carry the 2-meter T's for this time ...  ?  

Just curious cause the cold in that synopsis is - obviously .. - steeply sloped left in the sounding.  I.e., it's probably colder than those contours/ .. perhaps neutral to the surface, in that advection region ..all the way down.  I wonder if Brownsville could actually be flirting with 32 there ... 

BRO 27F

GFSSGP_sfc_temp_144.png

27 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Didn't Will say he lived in Texas back then ?  

I was back in ORH by 1989....don't worry, I was back here in time to personally witness the historic ORH snow drought....one of my earliest memories though is our pipes bursting in Xmas 1983 in San Antonio. That was an epic cold outbreak.

36 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Unless that crop report...

ruined.jpg

I grew up with that era's cinema ...  with all those icons of the silver screen strutting and fretting their turns and terms upon the stage ... now never heard forever more ... vanquished by predatory time.

I'll tell ya, it's one of the weirdest paradoxes of nature, time's claim on all that resides beneath the firmament ... perhaps one day the firm' itself. For every prey, there is a predator ... and these tend to be in balance. For if either fails the whole system collapses ... Yin and yang I suppose.  But time?  Time seems to be the only metric in emergence of reality that truly does not require said balance -

It only feeds..

• Haha 1