• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Light snow possible between 1/19 Tue night-1/22 Noon Friday.

wdrag

I'll do a wrap up snow amounts for the week either Friday or Saturday at 10AM as a second episode occurs midday today - Friday, just north of I84 where a few of our members live. Dustings  to possibly as much 1" possible by Noon Friday, with the Litchfield Hills and Catskills most favored. (I'll toss in the prelim week summary CoCoRAHS graphic by Noon today).

• Like 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic
On 1/20/2021 at 5:52 PM, bluewave said:

Yeah, light accumulations often go in as a T like we saw on 4-16-14.

https://nypost.com/2014/04/16/mid-april-snow-falls-across-new-york-city/

ugh that was the latest snowfall I remember and the measuring crew messed it up!

wasn't that more sleet than snow though?

On 1/20/2021 at 5:10 PM, uncle W said:

Newark, JFK and LGA reported mwasurable snow 0.2" to 0.3"...as usual Central Park reports a trace with the same le...

Since NYC will most likely be 0.8 inches of total snowfall for the last 30 years short of achieving a 30 inch average for 1991-2020, shows how those missed measurements come into play. 

Just take a couple of those over the last 30 years, and we all know there are many more than a couple, and instead of 29.9 inches which is what the new average will most likely be depending on how they round each month, and they would easily reach or surpass 30.0 inches.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Since NYC will most likely be 0.8 inches of total snowfall for the last 30 years short of achieving a 30 inch average for 1991-2020, shows how those missed measurements come into play. 

Just take a couple of those over the last 30 years, and we all know there are many more than a couple, and instead of 29.9 inches which is what the new average will most likely be depending on how they round each month, and they would easily reach or surpass 30.0 inches.

heh because of errors of measurement they should just round it to 30 and leave it at that..... we dont have a tenth of an inch of precision when it comes to measuring snowfall.

19 hours ago, wdrag said:

Heres' the 3 day CoCoRAHS totals as reported for the daily tally.  

Screen_Shot_2021-01-22_at_4_20_20_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2021-01-22_at_4_21.00_PM.png

we were the local jackpot on Long Island with 0.7 inches of snow lol.

Looks like my other home got 3.2 inches and I was able to confirm that when I drove there (and they were in the middle of a blinding snow squall yesterday!)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

we were the local jackpot on Long Island with 0.7 inches of snow lol.

Looks like my other home got 3.2 inches and I was able to confirm that when I drove there (and they were in the middle of a blinding snow squall yesterday!)

I added (not to this graphic) but the snow from 7A yesterday to 7A today, total 5.2" at MPO this week. Fabulous day to walk in real cold and wind up here in nw NJ at midday. Temp in the mid 20s and wind chill who knows, w a few flurries. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, wdrag said:

I added (not to this graphic) but the snow from 7A yesterday to 7A today, total 5.2" at MPO this week. Fabulous day to walk in real cold and wind up here in nw NJ at midday. Temp in the mid 20s and wind chill who knows, w a few flurries. 

yes that is the advantage of elevation, you never see that sort of snow at the coast.  at elevation it can even snow in bad patterns....lake effect country is the same way.  So the total was 3.2 from the other day and 2.0 from yesterday, Walt?

9 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

yes that is the advantage of elevation, you never see that sort of snow at the coast.  at elevation it can even snow in bad patterns....lake effect country is the same way.  So the total was 3.2 from the other day and 2.0 from yesterday, Walt?

I think so.  It really is nice, despite the degneral lack of snow.  If we had more days like this we could skate here in nw NJ.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

I think so.  It really is nice, despite the degneral lack of snow.  If we had more days like this we could skate here in nw NJ.

any ideas about the pattern going forward, Walt?  I have been reading that the pattern should warm up again after Feb 2 (Groundhog Day!) but there could be another cold down sometime around Valentine's Day or around President's Day and that might last a week or two also?