Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January Long Range Disco Thread

yoda

12 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

One major difference is how they handle the flow in Canada. The euro has a SW way up north out of the way while the GFS digs that further south just north of the lakes which impacts the flow over the US. Where the euro has a high over the top the gfs has a low creating a weakness for the storm to cut because of how they handle that feature. 

Does the storm really cut though? The blocking overtop pretty much keeps it on a west to east trejectory once it forms in the midwest. Just a little too far north from the get go to do us any good. If that low is in kentucky instead of Indiana/ohio we would get a transfer along the nc/va coast which could possibly put us in the game we would also most likely get a nice front end thump. Lots of options still on the table. 

I was wrong the euro digs it south not north. I was looking at different SWs. At 120 the gfs/euro are similar. Then they diverge...both have a SW coming into AK. The GFS amplifies it and it moves south east ending up north of the lakes wrecking the flow. Plus the southern end of the trough cuts off and gets stuck in the southwest. The euro dives that AK low south and phases with the southern SW and they come east with a high over the top where the low is on the gfs. Pretty major progression differences for only 120 out. 

6 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

Does the storm really cut though? The blocking overtop pretty much keeps it on a west to east trejectory once it forms in the midwest. Just a little too far north from the get go to do us any good. If that low is in kentucky instead of Indiana/ohio we would get a transfer along the nc/va coast which could possibly put us in the game. Lots of options still on the table. 

It starts in the TX panhandle and gets to Columbus before being stopped by the blocking. We can call it whatever, it’s not a pure cutter though. But it’s no good lol. But it took a lot going wrong to get that...it wouldn’t take much to see a better solution. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

It certainly is that 

I don’t hate this gfs run. Absolutely beautiful look to the significant longwave features. Perfect NAO block and the epo ridge breaks so much so it cuts off into a Rex block north of AK which allows a vortex to cut south of Ak and pumps a PNA. I would rather see good things from large scale features driving the pattern the model is more likely to get right then details of discreet SWs flying around in the flow.  Give me that progression and I’ll take my chances something works out. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I don’t hate this gfs run. Absolutely beautiful look to the significant longwave features. Perfect NAO block and the epo ridge breaks so much so it cuts off into a Rex block north of AK which allows a vortex to cut south of Ak and pumps a PNA. I would rather see good things from large scale features driving the pattern the model is more likely to get right then details of discreet SWs flying around in the flow.  Give me that progression and I’ll take my chances something works out. 

Is it just me or are the models really flip-flopping on that EPO ridge?  Seems like every other run its either gone or raging.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It starts in the TX panhandle and gets to Columbus before being stopped by the blocking. We can call it whatever, it’s not a pure cutter though. But it’s no good lol. But it took a lot going wrong to get that...it wouldn’t take much to see a better solution. 

It is an evolving situation.B)

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Gotta like the chances with the persistence up top, despite the Pac doing its best to eff it all up.

Yep, if this was a one week blip at a -NAO, it’s one thing....but the fact that it seems to persist and linger makes me bullish we score eventually.  And if we don’t, we’re fooked and should just accept the fact that it’ll never snow in the cities/SE again.

11 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Yep, if this was a one week blip at a -NAO, it’s one thing....but the fact that it seems to persist and linger makes me bullish we score eventually.  And if we don’t, we’re fooked and should just accept the fact that it’ll never snow in the cities/SE again.

I pretty much agree with everything u said. And I'm convinced we WILL score and likely score big. Patience will pay off. Just have to see if its gonna be a one and done, a couple of weeks of sustained winter with a couple of SECS, a slow buildup to a consistent producing pattern, a KU Archambault event, etc. It will happen sooner than later and my confidence is sold on the fact the HL blocking isn't going anywhere even when the LR and weeklies at the end were showing otherwise. We are kicking the pattern flip can over and over and that is a great sign. Like someone else said, this isn't a shutout look where we aren't scoring. This is a pretty much sustained workable pattern evolving with loads of chances. We've just had a string of poor luck past 10 days. Things are about to break in our favor. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I pretty much agree with everything u said. And I'm convinced we WILL score and likely score big. Patience will pay off. Just have to see if its gonna be a one and done, a couple of weeks of sustained winter with a couple of SECS, a slow buildup to a consistent producing pattern, a KU Archambault event, etc. It will happen sooner than later and my confidence is sold on the fact the HL blocking isn't going anywhere even when the LR and weeklies at the end were showing otherwise. We are kicking the pattern flip can over and over and that is a great sign. Like someone else said, this isn't a shutout look where we aren't scoring. This is a pretty much sustained workable pattern evolving with loads of chances. We've just had a string of poor luck past 10 days. Things are about to break in our favor. 

Oh, sorry I was talking about the mid-Atlantic scoring.  You’re too far north as the blocking will just push all the blizzards straight into this area.  There’s always next year for you!!!  :pimp:

• Like 3
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

I remember you posting something similar in Jan 2016 about which period to key on.  :snowman:

I’ve been wrong plenty of times too though. Lol that one in 2016 was easy to see the setup from REALLY far out. Even though it didn’t really show on ops until about 9 days out the setup was crystal clear well before that from the way the pattern was progressing although I think I might have originally targeted a day or two too soon as the wave slowed a lot. I also “saw” that 2011 and the Feb 2010 storms from really far out but those were slightly less difficult patterns. The blocking was similar but we didn’t have the raging pac jet we do now. That complicates things. I would not put this threat (late Jan) quite at the same level of confidence as those long range calls. But it’s very good. If those were level 10 (for long range) this is an 8 level. There is more that could go wrong here with the current pac but it’s still a very good chance.  I am intrigued by the progression. We’re kind of stuck in a squeeze play. The EPO ridge will put more cold into the US. It will be centered out west initially but it will bleed east under the block more behind each wave.  At the same time as the NAO Rex block retrogrades SW from Greenland into Northern Quebec the blocked flow will intensify. That will trap more cold in from the northeast (that over time bleeds into the pattern).  At the same time the weakness between the western trough and the eastern trough will allow gulf systems to organize and try to cut. But that will become increasingly difficult as the block retrogrades. I’m simply playing that progression out and “guessing” about the 26-28th is the magic spot where there is enough cold into the pattern and the block has retrograded enough to get something trying to cut to get forced to secondary under us. Hybrid miller b. Those can be NICE. Hopefully my imagination is close to reality. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

One of the contributing factors to the fail of the last pulse of the high latitude blocking was the orientation and progression. The wave break in the Atlantic was mediocre, the NAO ridge was actually enhanced by a mid latitude ridge originating from the pac that transported poleward and linked with the NAO ridge. The result was an elongated inverted omega block extending NE to SW and instead of retrograding it faded northeast. That is not really the greatest configuration or progression for is to score. There were other contributors like lack of cold and fast pac jet but the block itself wasn’t ideal. This next iteration looks like a much more “classic” progression. 

13 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

One of the contributing factors to the fail of the last pulse of the high latitude blocking was the orientation and progression. The wave break in the Atlantic was mediocre, the NAO ridge was actually enhanced by a mid latitude ridge originating from the pac that transported poleward and linked with the NAO ridge. The result was an elongated inverted omega block extending NE to SW and instead of retrograding it faded northeast. That is not really the greatest configuration or progression for is to score. There were other contributors like lack of cold and fast pac jet but the block itself wasn’t ideal. This next iteration looks like a much more “classic” progression. 

Great catch and thanks for the explanation.  And its a legit west/Baffin block too on guidance.  I’ll take my chances with that any winter especially with a 50/50 that seems fairly persistent too.

I have started a little project to keep track of the the GEFS ensemble mean temperature predictions in MBY.  For every daily run at 18z, I am entering the 2m temp prediction for each 24 hours thereafter (as taken from TT).  I noticed a sharp warming in the predicted temps for the 6 - 10 day period between 18z yesterday and 18z today.  This matches BAMWx post someone posted a few hours ago.

Can anyone comment on the EPS temp profile form the 12z run?  Is it seeing any nice cold?     

4 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

I have started a little project to keep track of the the GEFS ensemble mean temperature predictions in MBY.  For every daily run at 18z, I am entering the 2m temp prediction for each 24 hours thereafter (as taken from TT).  I noticed a sharp warming in the predicted temps for the 6 - 10 day period between 18z yesterday and 18z today.  This matches BAMWx post someone posted a few hours ago.

Can anyone comment on the EPS temp profile form the 12z run?  Is it seeing any nice cold?     

EPS has AN temps until Day 10.  Then it gets a little colder.  

• Sad 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic