Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Long Range Disco Thread

yoda

53 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Ensembles continue to increase depth of the trough day 6/7 period . A few  BIG hits on the 6z  Gefs. 

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-namer-z500_anom-0960400.png

Need a more neutral trough as it heads east or the northern part of the shortwave will crush it. There are a couple MECSs on the 6z individuals. GEPS likes it too. The other issue is the kicker behind it with the fast flow we’ve been having. 

That many big hitters on the individuals tells me there’s a small % we see some 12z changes with this event. (Crosses fingers)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Nevermind, spoke too soon

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_60.png

Lol. It’s still a good setup as the -PNA energy bleeds east under the block. Just need to pray the block stays as strong as pronged. I like the week of the 25th. Although I’m not discounting some snow before that if things shake out right. 

29 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

We need the ridge over Alaska to trend east a bit, then we're in business.

You aren't going to get much better than that in a Nina.

GEFS has trended better in the EPO domain in recent runs. AO and NAO are more negative as well in the LR. HL teleconnections are pretty weenie going forward. Should be progressively colder over the next 10+ days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Kidding not kidding...I’m not saying we should get a HECS...but if we get through the next 3 weeks with no snow somethings really wrong 

Clarify please the next 3 weeks starting from today or from the 20th or when?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, frd said:

CPC AO forecast has trended to the Euro with 2/3 of the members going down after the initial decline that is taking place now. 

Also the GFS NH NAM index forecast has updated, the latest is the bottom image.  

Anyone got a link to explain how the heck to read these charts?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Paleocene said:

Anyone got a link to explain how the heck to read these charts?

The blue means negative anomalies, which correlate to high latitude blocking and a weakened vortex. What you are seeing is the blue anomalies extend all the way down to the lower troposphere. So basically there's blue over us @Ji

7 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Clarify please the next 3 weeks starting from today or from the 20th or when?

I wasn’t trying to be that specific...the point was if this whole period of blocking which is still escalating and looks to feature a -epo -NAO ridge bridge coming up...produces nothing!  That pattern really begins to set in around the 18th and extends out past where we can see but it won’t last forever. But it looks very likely it extends into early Feb at the least.  We’re talking about a great pattern hitting during our best snow climo period.  So if we make it to like Feb 7 and it’s breaking down and we have nothing to show for it...let me be clear I doubt that. We could even get multiple warning level hits in that look with some luck. Or maybe we don’t get lucky but even in that case we should get some snow somewhere from a pattern like that this time of year. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PivotPoint said:

I said a week ago. The potential fail potential with the upcoming “good” pattern was fast flow shredding sws. Psu remembers. I’m like halfway decent at this hobby now 

But that’s a permanent issue with the pac jet blasting in. It’s irregardless if the NAO. I’d still rather have a good longwave pattern over N Amer then not when trying to overcome that issue. Going forwards as the pac ridge shifts poleward it should help mitigate that some. 

If you click on the animation and then go full screen you can see some pretty significant differences later in the forecast cycle.

As Ventrice  points out the GEFS is much different than the EPS north of Alaska. Focus on the evolution after hour 222.

I am sure there are implications for us depending on what outcome wins out. I am guessing we would want the GEFS outcome, leading to colder air masses.  T

However in both loops you can see the development of the very impressive Baffin Bay block .   

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

But that’s a permanent issue with the pac jet blasting in. It’s irregardless if the NAO. I’d still rather have a good longwave pattern over N Amer then not when trying to overcome that issue. Going forwards as the pac ridge shifts poleward it should help mitigate that some. 

Yeah but isn’t that flow now getting squeezed by all of the blocking and basically creating a firehose right over the mid Atlantic?

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic