Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2021 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Stormlover74

1 hour ago, binbisso said:

With the current setup In the Atlantic with the negative Nao and AO you do not want cold Arctic air as that would only suppress system. + 5 in Canada and plus two here in mid-January through mid-February would work just fine as the block would cause systems to go underneath us and it will be plenty cold enough to snow. I know you know this as you are a knowledgeable poster but you're warm bias interferes with rational judgment and your predictions end up wrong.

Good post

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Franklin0529 said:

All these storms and a crappy airmass. When we get the cold the storms will disappear.  That's what we do in these parts. We need a good area wide crushing from coast to interior. It's been a couple years now

We just had that last week. When Central Park has 10 inches, the Catskills have 2 feet, and Binghamton needs a yard stick, that is as good as a region-wide crushing gets.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

We just had that last week. When Central Park has 10 inches, the Catskills have 2 feet, and Binghamton needs a yard stick, that is as good as a region-wide crushing gets.

He obviously didn't live through the 70s and 80s when this was normal storm wise here

3 hours ago, snowman19 said:

How exactly will it definitely improve the PAC? And how does it not matter at all if all the cold ends up on the other side of the pole? 

Speaking of the PAC,  I'm starting to see improvements in the long range.  It's likely lights out for people south of i84 until mid-month though.

Late Jan and early Feb could be fun.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

That’s getting really close to the NYC 12”+ snowstorm composite of 14 events since 1979.

118A7488-A043-4B75-BD23-A92F3D3654F6.gif.f4fa2391e227a0a719a53c88d7cdff2c.gif

and thats the classic solution during the time period we've been outlining....the potential is there, it remsins to be seen if it is realized.

all of those were amazing, but there is a wide spectrum within that envelop.....addressing the ones that weren't perfect for us......2/79 was actually a little too suppressed, we got close to a foot of snow here but the historic amounts were just south of us, 2/94 was a dumping of snow followed by a changeover to rain, still double digit snowfall here (sort of similar to the December event)....2/06 had a narrow band of heavy snow concentrated near the city, with lesser amounts outside of that death band, every other storm in that list was historic for a large part of the area though.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

That’s getting really close to the NYC 12”+ snowstorm composite of 14 events since 1979.

118A7488-A043-4B75-BD23-A92F3D3654F6.gif.f4fa2391e227a0a719a53c88d7cdff2c.gif

Chris can you post the full list- some of those got cut off, I counted only 11 on the dates I could see.  This list also includes the two big ones in 1978!  So it's 16 and not 14?

PS also something a bit extra if you can find the info on this.....can you post a list of all the storms that've dropped 20" or more at one of the NYC official stations (NYC/EWR/JFK/LGA)  and also dropped 20" or more at either ABE or MPO?

3 hours ago, Jeff Grann said:

He obviously didn't live through the 70s and 80s when this was normal storm wise here

actually two of the very best occurred in the 70s and 80s.....Feb 1978 and Feb 1983.  I recently found out that my second home in the Poconos got 30" in Feb 1978 and also over 2 feet in Feb 1983, that's pretty amazing considering that my first home on Long Island also got over 2 feet from the same storms!  There's a select list of only a few storms that have dropped two feet plus in both locations; Jan 1996, Feb 2003 and Jan 2016 are also on that list.

3 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Chris can you post the full list- some of those got cut off, I counted only 11 on the dates I could see.  This list also includes the two big ones in 1978!  So it's 16 and not 14?

PS also something a bit extra if you can find the info on this.....can you post a list of all the storms that've dropped 20" or more at one of the NYC official stations (NYC/EWR/JFK/LGA)  and also dropped 20" or more at either ABE or MPO?

Find a BN day in this mess (which could have been salvaged from last January)and win a KEWPIE DOLL (with fully visible [but not functional---so don't get excited}sexual organs.      Well at least we are getting rid of the 50's.      The High+Low can't exceed 66, which eliminates all but 3 days, right off the bat.

1609351200-nouXu5nLpNI.png

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Weenie 2

7 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

Find a BN day in this mess (which could have been salvaged from last January)and win a KEWPIE DOLL (with fully visible [but not functional---so don't get excited}sexual organs.      Well at least we are getting rid of the 50's.      The High+Low can't exceed 66, which eliminates all but 3 days, right off the bat.

1609351200-nouXu5nLpNI.png

Who cares? The operational GFS beyond 5 days is as useless as t!ts on a bull. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

actually two of the very best occurred in the 70s and 80s.....Feb 1978 and Feb 1983.  I recently found out that my second home in the Poconos got 30" in Feb 1978 and also over 2 feet in Feb 1983, that's pretty amazing considering that my first home on Long Island also got over 2 feet from the same storms!  There's a select list of only a few storms that have dropped two feet plus in both locations; Jan 1996, Feb 2003 and Jan 2016 are also on that list.

Yes but there were many skunk years also

Have noted a few posts noting the blocky and possibly more favorable pattern the 8th-15th. No topic yet. Kind of want to clear the table of 1/1 and 1/3-4. I do see the potential... definitely would like a freshening of a colder boundary layer.  If we can't deliver something decent in this pattern the next several weeks... At least there are some marginal wintry threats. 

• Like 2